• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WFAN: Could the Yankees go Trout Fishing One Day?

NJHalo

I've always said ... you don't need Trout to win a championship. You need Trout because he's the face of the franchise and the best player in the game. 

You could trade Trout and probably be on a faster track to win a championship. 

Although, nobody wants to be the GM that traded 'Babe Ruth'.

Btw I'm plowed right now 

18 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I've always said ... you don't need Trout to win a championship. You need Trout because he's the face of the franchise and the best player in the game. 

You could trade Trout and probably be on a faster track to win a championship. 

Although, nobody wants to be the GM that traded 'Babe Ruth'.

Btw I'm plowed right now 

I would trade Trout for a championship or at the very least a competitive team with some level of long term sustainability. It's going to be very difficult to win a championship with Trout the way the team is currently structured financially and with no farm system. The Yankees could help change that. Trade Trout, Bandy, Pujols (plus his contract) and Scioscia for Sanchez, Gardner, cash money and a boatload of top prospects. Completely revamp the franchise overnight. 

I doubt he'd get traded because superstar trades rarely if ever work out for the team that trades for them.

Recent examples (not all of these players are in Trout's class, but who is?) my criteria is a player had to win or be close to winning an MVP before and after the trade.

Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and other prospects. 

This is one of the few trades that immediately came to mind. Maybin finally broke out last year, 8 years later. Miller was an elite prospect but didn't break through until much much later. Florida traded a centerpiece and got next to nothing. The WAR difference between what Detroit got and what Florida got is staggering.

The Griffey trade also came to mind, but neither player had reached the heights of what Trout has, and no player with a 40+ WAR in their first 5 seasons has ever been traded. 

It's literally uncharted waters. 

I disagree that trading trout puts you on a faster track.  It could, but not likely unless you got an absolutely absurd bounty.  One that any team would have a hard time paying without decimating their current roster and farm system.  on top of that, what team is even capable of providing that much talent in return?  

If I ever see Trout in Red Sox uniform I'm going to set all of New England on fire and then get one of those special bugs bunny saws and cut Massachusetts off from the mainland and let it float off into the hands of fate, like Bugs did with Florida. And then I'd want to punch Ben affleck in the face. Matt Damons okay, but Affleck would be on my list.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I disagree that trading trout puts you on a faster track.  It could, but not likely unless you got an absolutely absurd bounty.  One that any team would have a hard time paying without decimating their current roster and farm system.  on top of that, what team is even capable of providing that much talent in return?  

The Yankees could provide us a huge bounty and they're probably the only team that has the trade chips needed combined with a probable ok from Trout. I don't think Trout would approve a trade to just anywhere USA.

image.jpeg

Well, what you're ignoring is NO team has the prospects it would take to move him.  If we talked to the Cubs the trade would have to start with Bryant, Baez AND Schwarmer.  He's a 10 WIN player, so trading him means you have to get 15-18 wins a season in return in 3-4 players, and that isn't going to happen.  So you keep him and do what it takes to surround him with as many 3 Win players as possible.  

The Yankees could provide enough in return. What if they included Sanchez, five or six solid prospects and offered to take Pujols off our hands.

Arte and Eppler would have to listen. It gives them a solid upside future and restores payroll flexibility. We are currently one Trout major injury away from sinking to the abyss.

Maybe Eppler is a double agent working for the Yankees still. His mission was to infiltrate the Angels, gain their trust, then trade Trout to the Yankees.

Next day he hands in his resignation, and goes back to work for the Yankees and takes over for the soon to retire Brian Cashman.

20 hours ago, Oz27 said:

To anyone saying "just offer Trout an extension", what is the incentive for Trout to sign an extension? To even get close to what he would be paid if he hit the market once his current contract expires, we would be looking at around a $500 million commitment (the 4 years/$122 million he is owed plus say 10 years/$378 million). That might be at the top level of what is reasonable for us now, but if he becomes a free agent he will earn more money than that. Why would he sign an extension?

The only reason would be if he is a low risk kinda guy. Any player could have a career injury at any time. The more years he can get a guaranteed contract the less risk. 

That being said I'd expect Trout to finish his contract here with both sides saying all the right things. His last season he could get extended or traded as a rental. 

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

The only reason would be if he is a low risk kinda guy. Any player could have a career injury at any time. The more years he can get a guaranteed contract the less risk. 

That being said I'd expect Trout to finish his contract here with both sides saying all the right things. His last season he could get extended or traded as a rental. 

Yeah, or if he decides he is happy here and doesn't want to move and would be happy with that number I mentioned. I really struggle to believe though that the best player of our generation will be happy to go through his career without ever testing his free agent value.

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

The peaceful Trump protests will turn into the Trout riots in OC.

Arte will be judged like the Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington when he traded Wayne Gretzky to the Kings.

image.jpeg

claude, my brother and i had season seats at the time. during the '89 playoffs, pocklington sat in this 'box' next to our seats in the old forum (this was where bruce mcnall's mom and grandmother usually sat, but they got kicked to somewhere else that year for some reason). the kings were down 3-1 but came back and won the series in a very exciting and memorable game 7. it was fun to let peter know how much we appreciated the trade.

50 minutes ago, Tank said:

claude, my brother and i had season seats at the time. during the '89 playoffs, pocklington sat in this 'box' next to our seats in the old forum (this was where bruce mcnall's mom and grandmother usually sat, but they got kicked to somewhere else that year for some reason). the kings were down 3-1 but came back and won the series in a very exciting and memorable game 7. it was fun to let peter know how much we appreciated the trade.

The old Forum was a great hockey venue. We used to go the games for $5 with a student pass. Marcel Dionne was a family friend along with Yvan Cournoyer. Both born in my hometown of Drummondville, Quebec. 

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

The old Forum was a great hockey venue. We used to go the games for $5 with a student pass. Marcel Dionne was a family friend along with Yvan Cournoyer. Both born in my hometown of Drummondville, Quebec. 

are you still in touch with them? dionne was/is my all time favorite hockey player.

our college ID cards were a very good thing for all those years.

4 minutes ago, Tank said:

are you still in touch with them? dionne was/is my all time favorite hockey player.

our college ID cards were a very good thing for all those years.

The Dionne family still lives next door to my uncle in Drummondville and Cournoyer moved to Montreal years ago but his family still sends my dad a Christmas card every year. I still have a signed 1968 Cournoyer Sherwood stick. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I remember Cournoyer, Lafleur, Beliveau, Robinson, Dryden, Henri Richard (yes, related to Rocket), both Mahovlichs, Lapointe, Savard, Tremblay, and Lemaire along with Scotty Bowman helping the Habs dominate the 1970s (6 SC titles).    As dominant as ANY NHL team has ever been in a decade

The Canadiens had several of the greatest teams ever put together. In different decades.