• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jesse Chavez

Troll Daddy

18 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yeah I figured we were in the market regardless, but this confirms it. It wouldn't have surprised me if they had just rolled into '17 with Ortega as the 4th guy, given how we've handled OF over the last three seasons. 

Eric Thames would be fun. He's apparently getting a lot of interest. Hah, his '15 line - .381/.497/.790/1.288 with 42 2B, 47 HR, 140 RBI, 40 SB, all while looking like this: AEN20150318004151315_01_i.jpg

Awesome.

Thames for 4th OF, occasional DH when Pujols plays 1B.

well, it's the Hector Santiago signing all over again -- now Santiago actually did OK for the Halos and I still think the Halos' 2016 deadline deal that sent Santiago to Minnesota and got us Nolasco (I think we got him in the deal or perhaps indirectly because of the deal) was a good move by the front office -- we unloaded Santiago after getting pretty good value of out him for the time he was here ----

But the Chavez signing signifies we're going the economical route for 2017.........signing a swing man type number 5 starter.

If he works out the way Santiago did (and I am not saying Santiago was great, I am saying his time here Santiago pretty much exceeded the relatively low expectations we had for him as a swing man and Santiago actually put up some quality starts for us during his about two years in the rotation -- the rest of the time he was pen depth guy).

are we getting Thames -- had him on my fantasy team during one of his better seasons with Detroit -- he's fast, can steal some bases, if I remember right, had some power but not really a power hitter.........what I seemed to recall best, however, is his K numbers..........he seemed to strike out a lot.  Hit in streaks/ tears........and was prone to prolonged slumps at the plate.  Despite having some speed, don't recall him having much of a glove or throwing arm......best defensive position seemed to be at the far side of the dug out while DHing. 

26 minutes ago, disarcina said:

But the Chavez signing signifies we're going the economical route for 2017.........signing a swing man type number 5 starter.

Think it's too early to pencil him into #5. Chavez is an insurance policy. If no better SP comes up this offseason, he provides a veteran option amongst our half-dozen #5 contenders. If we fail to acquire additional relief help this winter and one of the young #5's stands out this spring, he provides us with a reliever.

Part of why his base $5.75m salary is a little high probably has to do with the possibility of him being relegated to pen duty (and missing out on his SP incentives) should we wind up signing a SP still. 

31 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Our depth for 2017 is already better than it was this year.

I hope they can somehow get Nova on a 3 year deal.

Meh. I like the depth we have right now. Lots of opportunities for young guys to step up. Getting Nova effectively eliminates opportunity. We're already going to have some interesting decisions to make once Heaney and Tropeano are back next year. Adding another starter on top of Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Meyer, Campos, Banuelos, Smith, Kipper and O'Grady doesn't necessarily benefit us.

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM, totdprods said:

Eppler's continuing to add to the flexibility. Either Chavez is our 5th starter or he goes to the pen. Allows Eppler opportunity to strike if a better deal for a SP comes along, or avoid a congested rotation if Ramirez, Smith, Meyer, Banuelos, or Campos come on strong.

He's also building a club that will be very tradeable at the deadline if we're out of it - Street, Escobar, Pennington, Maybin, and Chavez all could have a role on a contender - and he's setting himself up to have quite a bit of open spots again next offseason to fill.

Great points, as always, Sir.

22 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think it eliminates opportunity. It gives the Angels a set rotation with some quality depth when a couple starters inevitably go on the DL.

Also, who are Kipper and O'grady?

Kipper will be 24, ground ball pitcher posted a 3.35 ERA in AA last year. Low 90's heavy fastball. O'Grady is a tall lefty that was scooped up by the Reds in the Rule 5 draft last year but was cut on the last day of ST and returned to us. Eppler had him transition to starting as he did in college and he was dominant in AA and AAA after moving to the rotation. Solid three pitch mix with a low-90's fastball. Can really come downhill with it from The left side.

Both project in the back of a rotation. They are nice to stash in AAA, much like Nate Smith and Manny Banuelos.

well, we shall see but IMO the Chavez signing takes the Front Office off the hook from signing another rotation guy -- so Halos will probably will get out-bid (and now allow themselves to be out-bid) and won't do so (perhaps that's good if the alternative is to over-pay for some mid to average rotation guy).

in the past some of the worst Halos' F/A signings took place when, for whatever reason (i.e. the Dodgers just made a splash signing someone -- which really is a dumb reason to make even a dumber move) the Halos' Front Office felt under some 'pressure' (real or imagined) to 'do nothing'  - that's how we ended with the likes of and terrible contracts of Gary Mathews Jr, Vernon Wells and Josh Hamilton -- I am sure there are more but these three signings -- all blasted, as I recall, to a poster on this board, AT THE TIME OF THE F/A signing (so it was not a case of Monday morning QBing) .

1 hour ago, DailyHalo said:

Jeff, you should ask around the organization and see what you can dig up on what the FO's plans are for the pen. Particularly with their pursuits of a FA closer? See if they divulge any info.

And let Alex Currie know that we will have a place for her at our Thanksgiving table.