• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jesse Chavez

Troll Daddy

This seems reasonable enough. In an ideal world he would be a swingman type, used either as a long reliever or spot starter. But I'm a big believer that teams need to be looking to acquire 7 or 8 legitimate MLB starting options. Finding five starters and calling it a day doesn't cut it when pitchers get injured as often as they have been.

Plus, he is a lot better than some of the options that have been talked about here, such as Weaver.

Chavez really does fit this team's need. If he stays healthy and pitches well, he can give you 150 innings and a 4.00 ERA. If Meyer shows he's made the turn and is ready for the rotation, Chavez can be moved to the pen. Or Meyer can move to the bullpen, and either operate as a set up man, or piggy back Skaggs, Nolasco and Chavez to get as deep in the game as we need.

Eppler's continuing to add to the flexibility. Either Chavez is our 5th starter or he goes to the pen. Allows Eppler opportunity to strike if a better deal for a SP comes along, or avoid a congested rotation if Ramirez, Smith, Meyer, Banuelos, or Campos come on strong.

He's also building a club that will be very tradeable at the deadline if we're out of it - Street, Escobar, Pennington, Maybin, and Chavez all could have a role on a contender - and he's setting himself up to have quite a bit of open spots again next offseason to fill.

13 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

If this is the teams #5, it is a crock of shit.

I don't think he's the #5 yet. He's just another failsafe who possibly has the veteran/durability advantage over our current in-house #5 candidates. 

Eppler probably is still a little handcuffed to the possibility he may need to upgrade 2B and RP solely by relying on free agency, and Chavez is simply a budget SP/RP so he can work on addressing the other needs with a safety net in place if any route starts looking bleak.

Well, the competition for the #5 spot in Spring Training should be pretty awesome to watch.  Add that to the competition for closer and it is going to be a lot of fun.

You also have to wonder, does making a more affordable commitment to Chavez instead of Nova, who will get overpaid, leave the Angels the money needed to get Walker for 2B?

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I don't think he's the #5 yet. He's just another failsafe who possibly has the veteran/durability advantage over our current in-house #5 candidates.

I think he's more than a failsafe candidate. The Angels are paying him almost $9MM if he hits his incentive. Their initial plan is to use him as a starter.

You're right though ... anything is possible. 

5 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Well, the competition for the #5 spot in Spring Training should be pretty awesome to watch.  Add that to the competition for closer and it is going to be a lot of fun.

You also have to wonder, does making a more affordable commitment to Chavez instead of Nova, who will get overpaid, leave the Angels the money needed to get Walker for 2B?

I would say it's more likely that Eppler has positioned himself into that possibility, but not a sign that's the goal. He hasn't really acquired anyone that is so good or so expensive/committed that they can't be replaced or pushed into a different role. He's just building lots of quality depth. 2B is the gaping hole remaining though, so, in theory, he could sign Walker and virtually be done, aside from a couple league minimum type guys. 

4 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I think he's more than a failsafe candidate. The Angels are paying him almost $9MM if he hits his incentive. Their initial plan is to use him as a starter.

A $5.75-$9m deal over one year isn't that big of a concern. Fletch just tweeted he estimates Angels are around $163m payroll. Current luxury tax threshold is $189. Could go up by 12/2 though, he even floated $201m as a theoretical. This is further proof that Eppler is setting himself up to be opportunistic if a big purchase comes along.

If it does goes that high, I doubt they go crazy, but $3m in incentives doesn't become that important, especially on a one-year deal.

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

A $5.75-$9m deal over one year isn't that big of a concern. Fletch just tweeted he estimates Angels are around $163m payroll. Current luxury tax threshold is $189. Could go up by 12/2 though, he even floated $201m as a theoretical. This is further proof that Eppler is setting himself up to be opportunistic if a big purchase comes along. He doesn't have to go shopping for an expensive SP, RP, or LF now, but if the right opportunity comes up, they could still make that addition. And obviously it leaves Walker in the running for 2B.

If it does goes that high, I doubt they go crazy, but $3m in incentives doesn't become that important, especially on a one-year deal.

i'm a little surprised at the 5.75 million up front, that seems steep to me. i could not care less about any amount of incentives, because if he gets them, then bonus angels.

i'm interested to look up what role he's been in the last few years. i, honestly, forgot all about him since he was a starter with the A's. 

edit: he was starting for the A's in '15? it seems like it was more like 12-14. bizarre.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Little surprising that Ortega was DFA'ed, seemed like an ideal league-minimum back-up for Maybin. Maybe they're hoping to sneak him through waivers and keep him in org while the 4th OF FA pool is still untouched.

i'd bet he does clear waivers. he's pretty replaceable.

1 minute ago, John Smith said:

Jesse Chavez at Angel Stadium: 34.1 IP, 2.62 ERA, 0.990 WHIP,.216 BAA, .601 OPSa

4.19 ERA in 49 starts, 1.34 WHIP and 8.1 K/9. Not terrible for the potential price. And again, all it takes is one of the six #5 candidates outperforming him to push him into basically the Chacin/Rasmus role.

6 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'd bet he does clear waivers. he's pretty replaceable.

Further proof we're getting probably two more outfielders. Calhoun, Trout, and Maybin are the only ones on the 40-man as of now, I think. And there definitely isn't  anything slated for AAA right now.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Further proof we're getting probably two more outfielders. Calhoun, Trout, and Maybin are the only ones on the 40-man as of now, I think. And there definitely isn't  anything slated for AAA right now.

There's no way Eppler heads into 2016 with Maybin penciled in as the only LF option.  Normally, this alternative would be Marte, but Eppler already made it clear he feels Marte is best suited for corner infield.  Shane Robinson is out of the picture, as is Ortega.  All that's left is Choi, and again, he doesn't fit the profile.  If we're looking for a lefty swinging backup, there are some options.  Chris Coghlan, Jon Jay and if you want to be super creative, Eric Thames, coming off three ridiculous, monster years in the KBO.