• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think we'll exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?

Chuck

Do you think we'll exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Angels will exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you in favor of keeping Escobar and taking the option?

• Yes
    • No

On 11/5/2016 at 3:33 PM, ukyah said:

what else could his obp be made up of, other than walks and hits? other than sporadically being hit by a pitch, how else can a hitter get on base?

By the other team making an error, by being safe at first after a strikeout on a passed ball or wild pitch, or by catcher's interference. 

45 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Correct. I'm really starting to think they're not going to keep him, and that they're desperately trying to get anything they can for him right now.

I think so too.

I'm really liking the idea of going after Luis Valbuena and Jason Castro as well. Valbuena would be an upgrade at third, and money saved on Escobar could be re-appropriated for Castro. 

It would leave us with some need at the top of the lineup still, but we can address that either by acquiring a 2B (we'd be able to dangle Perez or Bandy in a trade) or by signing one, or simply rely on Maybin/Simmons.

Valbuena is better defensively, has a solid bat, younger, won't cost a fortune, switch-hitter, more versatile. Castro's bat isn't much, but he's still good defensively, provides a lot of leadership, hits left-handed, is from Cali, provides some vet stability at catcher, could be a back-up 1B. Both would subtract from Houston too.

Originally i wasnt sure, depended on whether or not they were going to bother to try to compete or not or just make payroll.... the trade for Maybin could indicate they might actually make the effort so based on that alone im leaning toward saying they pick it up as trading for him makes almost no sense of you are just going to dump Escobar. 

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

At this point, it would be the prudent thing to not exercise the option.    It's time to move on, because they need to continue  thinking about the future, of which he is not a part of anyway.

No one is going to trade anyone worthwhile for him anyway.   That much is becoming much clearer.

It's early yet, and baseball players do stupid things when they have free time on their hands.  Someone may very well need himover the next few months.

24 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

At this point, it would be the prudent thing to not exercise the option.    It's time to move on, because they need to continue  thinking about the future, of which he is not a part of anyway.

I have no doubt but that Eppler is going to try and re-build the farm system but the trade for Maybin would seem to be an indication that we're still pretty focused on the present too....

I thought for sure we would pick up his option but now that we are about 4 hours away from the deadline I am not so sure.  I think they should pick it up and I am as critical as anyone about the guys all around game.  I would pick it up and use him in the CJ Cron role if I could get something of value for CJ Cron.  

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think so too.

I'm really liking the idea of going after Luis Valbuena and Jason Castro as well. Valbuena would be an upgrade at third, and money saved on Escobar could be re-appropriated for Castro. 

It would leave us with some need at the top of the lineup still, but we can address that either by acquiring a 2B (we'd be able to dangle Perez or Bandy in a trade) or by signing one, or simply rely on Maybin/Simmons.

Valbuena is better defensively, has a solid bat, younger, won't cost a fortune, switch-hitter, more versatile. Castro's bat isn't much, but he's still good defensively, provides a lot of leadership, hits left-handed, is from Cali, provides some vet stability at catcher, could be a back-up 1B. Both would subtract from Houston too.

I stated earlier in the thread that I think the Angels let Escobar go.  I like the idea of bringing Luis Valbuena for third; therefore keeping Marte as a utility guy.  Of course, Valbuena can play 2B as well.

They're going to pick it up or they're going to trade him. I can't see them just letting him go. He has his faults but he still fills a need and still provides some offense.

Only way they decline him is if they're extremely worried about $6m (and there is no indication they are) or if they're extremely confident that they'll acquire an improvement, and I don't think that's likely enough to push them. If they do wind up acquiring improvement, they can still try to trade him, as it seems he doesn't have much trade value at all anyways, or force him into a super-sub role, or put one of them at 2B.

they are either working on a deal to move him or some other deal that would make him expendable.  I think it might be the latter in that the deadline seemed like the obvious time to trade him yet there was little interest.  Hard for me to believe that interest would increase now.  So my guess is that there is some other trade in the works.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

The only way I could see that happening is if they traded Cron.  There is literally no other way to make that make sense.  

Even then, if Escobar moved to 1B/DH he would be a very marginal player. Finding a DH with a wRC+ of 108 or better isn't supposed to be all that hard.

Anyway, the longer this goes on the more I'm thinking Escobar is gone. That is really just a guess, of course, but that is how I read the silence on it so far. I'm perfectly fine with that happening, too. It would be nice to actually have a 3B who can field properly, for the first time in awhile.

i really don't like the idea of escobar at first, and i don't think the angels are thinking that at all. personally, i like escobar at 2nd because his offense is pretty decent at that position, and i honestly don't see how he couldn't handle the position. i think it's clear that the angels like him at 3rd or nowhere.

25 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i really don't like the idea of escobar at first, and i don't think the angels are thinking that at all. personally, i like escobar at 2nd because his offense is pretty decent at that position, and i honestly don't see how he couldn't handle the position. i think it's clear that the angels like him at 3rd or nowhere.

Jeff Fletcher says there has been no consideration of playing him at 2b...