• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Outright Johnny Giavotella To Triple-A

Robrock30

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

One week left in his playing career with the organization?

I'd imagine so, unless they feel adding him to the 40 again for a Sept. bench role as a goodwill gesture for him to audition for other teams for next year.

Think the 40 is pretty full as it is though, and we will have other guys who should be higher in the pecking order for those spots, like Smith or even Lincecum. 

they might add him to the 40 man roster....for infield depth and to pinch run down the stretch -- not that we're contenders but he can PR for folks like Pujols and the catcher ---

if he doesn't get called up Sept. 1 - his Halos career is probably over -- he did OK for us.  Did not expect a lot and he delivered more. At the end he was pretty much at what was expected - not much.  No gripes about him or his play - if he does become an ex-Halo, he's one I'd root for in the future.

if he does get called up Sept. 1 -- his Halos career may have one more month remaining.........

8 minutes ago, disarcina said:

he accepted the assignment to SLC -- wonder if he plans to accept a ST invite?

I really don't see a role for him on the 2017 Halos, except, perhaps as 4-A player at SLC who is called up when one of our MIF goes on the DL.

They'll either trade or non-tender him this offseason. 

Only way we see him again this year will be if they wind up with an open spot on the 40-man and they decide to bring him back for goodwill and so he can audition himself for other teams this offseason. Which I would be fine with, if they have an open spot, but don't think they will.

16 minutes ago, disarcina said:

trade him?  what's his contract?

is he still under club control now after having cleared waivers and being sent out ? 

I agree, it's quite likely he gets non-tendered.

I believe he's still arb. eligible, but it's late and I've had some great wine tonight.

You don't see many players who are arb. eligible that aren't on the 40-man though. Those guys are non-tendered virtually all the time. If you aren't valuable enough to stick on a 40-man, you're not valuable enough to earn the hundreds of thousands you'd likely get in arbitration. 

Players in that range, say players #41-60 on an org's depth chart, are the guys you see signing ST invites in December. 

It is slightly possible that some team out there identifies Johnny as a guy they hope to sign on a ST invite, and like him so much that they decide to pitch a very, very low level minor leaguer to the Angels days before the deadline where the Angels have to tender him a contract, usually in early December.

Ironically, it was almost the exact same circumstances that led to us trading for Gia. The only difference was Gia had been a KC prospect but hadn't panned out, so they bumped him from their 40-man. Procedurally, it's basically the exact same as what Gia is going through now. The difference is this time it's pertaining more to his arbitration status rather than 40-man status. We traded a minor league FA reliever we had just signed out of the Mexican leagues, Brian Broderick I think, for Gia.  

He has about the same amount of value now. 

they mixed up and changed up the rules so much with the last collective bargaining agreement its hard to keep track with or without alcohol.

I wasn't sure when I posted above if Johnny G was off the 40 man roster or not -- I assumed he was after passing through waivers and then accepting an assignment to SLC.

Perhaps Johnny G accepts a ST invite with the Halos -- they show case him a bit and he plays well -- and then the Halos do him the favor of cutting him loose early - during the second week of ST -- so he has a chance to catch on with another MLB team........