• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coco Vandeweghe is ready to slam US Open rivals

The US Open kicks off Monday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing, Queens for next 2 weeks

Coco is the product of an athletic dynasty on her mother’s side. Her mom, Tauna, is an Olympic swimmer. Grandfather Ernie was a guard for the Knicks from 1949 to 1956. Uncle Kiki, an NBA All-Star, and coached the New Jersey Nets. Uncle Bruk medaled in beach volleyball at the 1994 Goodwill Games, while Aunt Heather was once captain of the US women’s polo team.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/27/mouthy-tennis-star-coco-vandeweghe-is-ready-to-slam-us-open-rivals/

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Robrock30 said:

The US Open kicks off Monday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing, Queens for next 2 weeks

Coco is the product of an athletic dynasty on her mother’s side. Her mom, Tauna, is an Olympic swimmer. Grandfather Ernie was a guard for the Knicks from 1949 to 1956. Uncle Kiki, an NBA All-Star, and coached the New Jersey Nets. Uncle Bruk medaled in beach volleyball at the 1994 Goodwill Games, while Aunt Heather was once captain of the US women’s polo team.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/27/mouthy-tennis-star-coco-vandeweghe-is-ready-to-slam-us-open-rivals/

Nice that they covered Arthur Ashe for this year. I'm a big tennis fan, and the Open is my fav event of the year, (Australia is a close second) and the Olympics were pretty good.. essentially a 5th Grand Slam event.

Monica Puig must have partied too much in PR after her gold down there, as most of the favorites won yesterday.

The Open is the richest of the grand slams...just getting to the second round earns players 77K. Equal money for men and women (has been since the mid-70's) 

Great event and well covered...pretty much every match is available to watch online, live or on replay (Watch ESPN)

So you live in NYC? Making it out to Flushing for any of the tourney?

Homebrew,

US Open Tennis is probably the greatest sports event in NYC every year Labor Day 2 weeks.

I used to go religiously every year & I watched some great matches.  Jimmy Connors last Open, Agasi last Open ( the ovation was long & loud ).  I also used to go to the Forest Hills Tennis Center which used to hold the Open, and for a while was the warmup for the Open along with the Hamlet in Long Island.  I saw Sampras & Courier compete in the Doubles Finals there before anyone knew them from the Front Row watching their serves land strong.  I have watched most of the Greats over the years.

2 hours ago, Robrock30 said:

Homebrew,

US Open Tennis is probably the greatest sports event in NYC every year Labor Day 2 weeks.

I used to go religiously every year & I watched some great matches.  Jimmy Connors last Open, Agasi last Open ( the ovation was long & loud ).  I also used to go to the Forest Hills Tennis Center which used to hold the Open, and for a while was the warmup for the Open along with the Hamlet in Long Island.  I saw Sampras & Courier compete in the Doubles Finals there before anyone knew them from the Front Row watching their serves land strong.  I have watched most of the Greats over the years.

Saw both the Connors and Agasi matches you refer to. The Connors comeback Open when he was what, 40?, was probably what really got me seriously interested in tennis.  Talk about inspiring...

I was there Labor Day weekend 2006 & watched Andre Agassi lose to Becker in the large stadium & then he retired from tennis.  Valiant effort & he left to a huge ovation.  I watched John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker, Bjorn Borg, Yannick Noah, Jimmy Connors, alot of great Tennis over the years.

I was at the US Open watching JImmy Connors comeback deep into the tournament when he became the popular one, watching John McEnroe with his antics.  I remember going to the West Side Tennis Club in May 1989 which was on the Tour, and saw Sampras & Courier as a doubles team for the 1st time, sitting in the front row at endcourt as their serves exploded.  Not surprising they went on from there to have great careers. I used to watch Ivan Lendl practice on a side court & his serves were unhittable, arcing so high from his long powerful arms.  Those are the highlights I remember also watching Nadal, and going to celebrate after the Andre Agassi retirement over at Peter Luger's Steak House and talking to the bartender there who was an avid tennis fan.  Great times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Eagle_Tournament_of_Champions

I was there for the finals both singles & doubles great tennis

While partying at Newport Beach in front of a bonfire after a barbecue and keg party admiring the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, I kind of thought about relocating to SoCal & kind of like I would enjoy the West Coast, I realized that the intensity of NY, and that I have too much fun so I am hooked on NY and I try to take it all in.  I just can't leave although the thought crosses my mind, but I just wait for that thought to go away.

2 hours ago, cezero said:

Ashe is a monstrosity. I went to a match there once, and sat in expensive (for me) loge seats. It was like watching ants play. 

I love watching matches on Ashe on TV, don't get me wrong, but that stadium is pretty awful for spectating unless you're super rich. 

The grandstand and Armstrong are AMAZING, though. I've gone twice over Labor Day weekend, and the grounds pass is where it's at. 

how much is 'expensive'? any idea how much the seats at field level cost?