• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols is approaching a big milestone, very quietly

22 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

Trout aside, the only people that care about anything Angels related are the Angel fans. The media and the rest of the country have no interest in this team

Which is the same thing that can be said about 75% of the MLB teams out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I know he gets no love on this board, but Albert is now only 2 behind Encarcion in RBI's. He's batting .326 with an OPS of .961 with runners in scoring position. Whereas, Encarcion is batting .242 with an OPS of .802 with runners in scoring position. Hitting in a lineup that is 10th in the league in runs scored, that's impressive.

I actually wondered today where we would be without Albert Pujols. Even with his struggles, inconsistency, and overall underwhelming play, what would the offense have looked like? Guessing we would have just kept Trumbo, but that wouldn't have brought in Skaggs or Santiago. We would have relied on Hamilton even more. A 3-4-5 of Trout, Hamilton, and Trumbo might have been even more of a disaster, albeit a cheaper one. How would it have affected Trout's development if he was carrying the offense even more? 

I'm hopeful that mang has really been slowed by injuries as an Angel, affecting him more than just natural decline. I think he rushed back a bit this year from surgery and it affected him the first month. I think transitioning, and finally accepting, that he's more of a DH now has affected his play this season. 

Fingers crossed that this year was a needed experience for him to adjust to life as an everyday DH, and coupled with the surgery, he remains healthy enough to stick to a .250/25-35/100 type line for at least another two or three years. He's at least managed to stick pretty close to that through half his time here.

Obviously, the contract is a burden but a relatively healthy Albert is an asset to any lineup. 

As for his batting average, very few players increase their batting average as they age into their mid 30s. Generally, you have to start your swing sooner because the reflexes are a little slower. Power hitters especially tend to become extreme pull hitters. When Albert was mashing for the Cards he would use the whole field. Those days are long gone, hense the shifts are way more effective now. He still remains a very productive hitter relative to his age and health. 

Of all the Angels' problems Albert is way down the list. 

For what it's worth, the Angels have also repeatedly mentioned that Pujols' contract hasn't deterred them or been an obstacle financially. They had no problem extending Trout or signing Hamilton after the fact. Hamilton's contract was the killer.

Money is money either way, but I think the idea that Albert's contract has hurt the org is really played up by the fans.

i hoped he'd be so good during the first 5 years that the last 5 could be chalked up to the price of doing business.  why did they backload the contract like this?  does the hit to the luxury tax threshold use the average salary per year, or the actual salary for each year's calculation?  $30M in 2021?  the problem just compounds every year....

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 12.35.10 PM.png