• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're not trading anybody

Mark68

Much as it pains me to say it, we can't trade anybody from the major league roster. We can't afford to. All of our pitchers are dropping like flies, and as soon as someone gets mentioned as a possible trade candidate (Soto), they're headed for the DL.

We can't keep enough warm bodies on the field to trade anyone. We don't have enough decent depth in the minors to replace anyone who could be traded.

We're screwed.

23 minutes ago, kingsosha said:

Cowart replaces Escobar.

Skaggs replaces Santiago.

Alburquerque/Morin replaces Smith.

It's not hard Mark. It's easy.

So...if Skaggs replaces Santiago, who replaces Tropeano? And who replaces the replacement when he goes down?

Same with anybody else...at this point, the only thing we can be sure of is that we can't assume anybody stays healthy this season.

It seems like we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Or stomp on a shin/groin/elbow/shoulder...

If we don't trade, the simple reasoning behind it will be that we intend to compete in 2017, meaning we'll expect Richards back, and won't trade Shoe or Santiago because we want a viable rotation fit for a contender.  if we don't trade Escobar it's simply because he's the best leadoff hitter we've had in 6-7 years, is only being paid 7 million a year and we don't have to start Cowart at 3B yet.  

We can trade Santiago, Shoe, Escobar etc.... and probably get a decent return on those assets.  Btu that decent return may only help in 2019/20. We might wanna win some games before then.

14 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

So...if Skaggs replaces Santiago, who replaces Tropeano? And who replaces the replacement when he goes down?

Same with anybody else...at this point, the only thing we can be sure of is that we can't assume anybody stays healthy this season.

It seems like we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Or stomp on a shin/groin/elbow/shoulder...

If you're not making the playoffs, why does that matter? The waiver system exists, teams give up minor leaguers for nothing all the time if they get a major league chance somewhere else and there are cheap free agents too. Filling out a roster with replacement level players isn't that hard to do.

2 hours ago, kingsosha said:

Cowart replaces Escobar.

I'm OK with Cowart replacing Escobar, but we need more pitching not less. The only pitchers that we can trade are possible Smith, Street and Salas. I would like to see Cam given the closer's job.

Depending on Tropeano's elbow and if Richards can recovery without surgery we may need more to sign a pitcher in the off-season. It's insane to lose 3 starting pitcher to possible elbow surgery in the same season while waiting for a forth to return to the rotation from TJ surgery.

4 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

I'm OK with Cowart replacing Escobar, but we need more pitching not less. The only pitchers that we can trade are possible Smith, Street and Salas. I would like to see Cam given the closer's job.

Depending on Tropeano's elbow and if Richards can recovery without surgery we may need more to sign a pitcher in the off-season. It's insane to lose 3 starting pitcher to possible elbow surgery in the same season while waiting for a forth to return to the rotation from TJ surgery.

^^^On the money dead on^^^....Hang on to our young pitchers but move Smith for sure, Street if you get a decent offer, Salas if anybody is stupid enough to take him....Trade Escobar if we get a good offer....if not, keep him too....

10 hours ago, kingsosha said:

Cowart replaces Escobar.

Until an episode of "forearm tightness" sends him back to the DL for another season.

Nothing is guaranteed right away with someone coming off TJ surgery.

I tend to agree, but not only because of injuries but also because they've won their last 4 and 8 of 10. I know, the playoffs is a longshot but all of a sudden they're 10.5 games out of the wildcard. If they continue playing like this they could be 7-8 games back in a week, which makes it hard to tank the season.

Anyhow, any trades will likely be last minute - depending upon how the next 10 days go. If they've made up another 2-3 games, I don't think they'll trade anyone.

14 hours ago, Mark68 said:

Much as it pains me to say it, we can't trade anybody from the major league roster. We can't afford to. All of our pitchers are dropping like flies, and as soon as someone gets mentioned as a possible trade candidate (Soto), they're headed for the DL.

We can't keep enough warm bodies on the field to trade anyone. We don't have enough decent depth in the minors to replace anyone who could be traded.

We're screwed.

With Soto again on the DL, Smith and Escobar the only two trade possibilities. There was interest in Soto, but not anymore. I don't think much will happen.

Cowart would need to bring his bat ... with Simmons at SS, I don't think his defense will be that big of a difference maker for the team.

I'm not opposed to trading Escobar if it's for a SP that helps the team for 2017. 

Josh Reddick would be a great signing in the off season. He could replace Escobar in the lead off spot. Reddick would blend nicely with Trout and Calhoun :)

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The down side to Reddick is that he has generally sucked vs LHP, which is why he rarely plays over 120-130 games in a season.

Do we want to pay some $20 million/season for 3/4 of a season of production each time?

I still like Reddick but ... 

Cespedes, Desmond, Flower, Bausita, and Saunders might all be available in the off season.