• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who gets the blame for the Angels 2016 downfall?

Chuck

Who (or what) has been the cause for the Angels downfall in 2016?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the blame for the Angels downfall in 2016?

• Jerry Dipoto
    • Billy Eppler
    • Arte Moreno
    • Mike Scioscia
    • The entire coaching staff
    • The players underperforming
    • The injuries
    • The entire pitching staff
    • Albert Pujols
    • The Scouting Dept. (Worst Farm System in Baseball)
    • Tony Reagins
    • Buttercup
    • Dehydration
    • Obama
    • The Marine Layer

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

About $37 million AAV comes off the books after this season with Weave, Nibs, and Smith.   Then another $25 million AAV (less whatever Tejas took on) comes off a year later with Hackilton.    Trout's and Pujols' $24 million AAV each is the important number per the luxury tax.   

So Arte the talent scout will have something approaching $62 million additional AAV to work with after 2017.  

Which he will flip into stadium renovations. 

37 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Watch Arte the talent scout force this 2018 starting lineup on us.

Reyes, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Howard, Beltre (age 39), Puig, Arse Jerk Putzinski, Simmons 

What if the owners of the Kings & Ducks buy the Angels off Arte ?  They would probaly expand the amount of scouts & international presence very quickly as well as when the team starts to be close to contention they fire scioscia.

On June 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Homebrewer said:

At the very least this thread allowed a few of us to rehash and air out some old grievances, most of which are still valid, and many of which have contributed to the present state of affairs for a team we all care deeply about. 

For things to wind up as bad as they are now, there is never just one cause or even two...there have to be a series of mistakes,  an overriding lack of foresight, with some bad luck added in.. for things to get this bad. A few errors over a period of time add up, and with little or no planning (or stupid planning) and/or poor leadership, the shit is going to pile up and eventually hit the fan. 

It ought to be more and more clear why Dipoto decided to take a huge risk with his career, and walk away. He was able to swim ashore from the sinking ship and live to sail another day on another ship. Scott Servais didn't hesitate when he was invited to come along.

Don't kid yourself, Scioscia and Arte told Dipoto to "Walk the plank"

On 6/22/2016 at 10:20 AM, Taylor said:

The Angels have only won one playoff series since Obama was elected. Just sayin'.

Since he got elected Senator in 2005, Chicago teams have been winning Championships like crazy....1st the Cheater Sox in MLB, then the Blackhawks, then the Blackhawks & the Blackhawks again in the NHL.

I'm an Arte fan and like him as an owner -- but his insistence on signing Hamilton to that ridiculous contract doomed the Halos organization.......

that among other moves have led us to where the team is now........mired in mediocrity for the forseeable future........and, sadly, I don't see much change in the Halos' fortunes for about three seasons........

11 hours ago, disarcina said:

I'm an Arte fan and like him as an owner -- but his insistence on signing Hamilton to that ridiculous contract doomed the Halos organization.......

that among other moves have led us to where the team is now........mired in mediocrity for the forseeable future........and, sadly, I don't see much change in the Halos' fortunes for about three seasons........

I'm not buying that Arte insisted on signing Hamilton ... more like hoodwinked into signing him.

well, I think Arte is about the only one who could have green lighted that trade.

not sure who else in our organization would have wanted him.

and while the Halos may have gotten HOODWINKED into signing Hamilton -- who HOODWINKED HIM?

I think we could have re-signed Tom Hunter who was coming off a great final season with the Halos and would have probably signed a one plus one year deal for a lot less than what we ended up spending on Hamilton over five years, a contract we're still paying on.

I understood the Halos reasons for not re-signing Hunter back then (even though I didn't like it) but that all fell apart when Arte signed Hamilton --I thought we didn't have the resources (money) and that's why Torri was let go -- apparently a lot more money was found........oh well, the not re-signing Torri Hunter stuff is several years ago -- OLD NEWS -- except with Hamilton 'still on our payroll' we're still suffering the consequences.......if we would have signed Hunter to that 1 plus 1 contract back then -- it would be over now -- which is a win without even looking at production of the two players......

Well, we drafted and signed Torri's son -- maybe that's the apology to Torri for telling him 'we don't have the resources' to re-sign him and then running out and finding 'the resources' to sign Hamilton -oh well..

32 minutes ago, disarcina said:

well, I think Arte is about the only one who could have green lighted that trade.

not sure who else in our organization would have wanted him.

and while the Halos may have gotten HOODWINKED into signing Hamilton -- who HOODWINKED HIM?

I think we could have re-signed Tom Hunter who was coming off a great final season with the Halos and would have probably signed a one plus one year deal for a lot less than what we ended up spending on Hamilton over five years, a contract we're still paying on.

I understood the Halos reasons for not re-signing Hunter back then (even though I didn't like it) but that all fell apart when Arte signed Hamilton --I thought we didn't have the resources (money) and that's why Torri was let go -- apparently a lot more money was found........oh well, the not re-signing Torri Hunter stuff is several years ago -- OLD NEWS -- except with Hamilton 'still on our payroll' we're still suffering the consequences.......if we would have signed Hunter to that 1 plus 1 contract back then -- it would be over now -- which is a win without even looking at production of the two players......

Well, we drafted and signed Torri's son -- maybe that's the apology to Torri for telling him 'we don't have the resources' to re-sign him and then running out and finding 'the resources' to sign Hamilton -oh well..

Let's end the myth: 

We didn't have the resources to resign Hunter because we were going all out for resigning Grienke.  Tori signed with Twins.  After that the Dogs out bid us on Grienke.  That left us with a lot of resources.  Ithe wasn't some great mystery that the resources magically appeared for Hamilton when there was none for Hunter.

Still the Hamilton signing was an act of desperation with the hope we would "outslug" our opponents because our starting pitchers were weak.

STORMNGT - valid point -- but I don't think we were seriously in the Greinke sweepstakes to begin with -- and probably a good thing we didn't win that auction.

Still, as you point well, the Hamilton signing was a disaster regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

By the way, Torii went on to sign with Detroit and played there for two seasons before doing a one year farewell tour back home in Minnesota.

Interestingly enough -- and a lot of Halos fans may be unaware of this -- but Torii's first season with Detroit after he left the Halos was one of his best seasons -- almost a career year for him. He hit .304 and had his career high in hits (184) that year.  So some of his best years were those two back to back years -- last season with the Halos and first one with Detroit.

I really think the Halos front office missed the intangibles that Torii Hunter brought to the clubhouse in addition to the production at the plate he was delivering at the time. I see that off-season - letting Torii walk and signing Hamilton as the start of the slide to where we are today.

BTW - nice grinding come from behind win today -- but we're still going to lose 88 games this season......oh well.