• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 2016 Draft Signings

According to Walden, Angels sign 3rd round pick Nolan Williams, heading to LA on Sunday.

"Many thanks to Nolan Williams's high school baseball coach, George Walden for the information in this article!" 

http://la.suntimes.com/los-angeles-angels/7/88/511285/mlb-draft-2016-angels-sign-3rd-round-pick-nolan-williams

Outstanding!!.  This kid is gonna be a beast.  I am telling you.  Got a real good feeling about his ability.  Pretty crazy that our 6th rounder - Cole Deunsing is his best friend.  Both were on my concern list for signability.  Marsh, Rodriguez, Molina, Peto are a few others I'd be concerned about. 

According to that article, Cole Duensing has already signed too, and is good friends with Williams.

I noticed we picked quite a few teammates this year. After seeing this about Williams and Duensing I wonder if there's a slight intangible they're trying to work with by pairing up players who have played together.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

According to that article, Cole Duensing has already signed too, and is good friends with Williams.

I noticed we picked quite a few teammates this year. After seeing this about Williams and Duensing I wonder if there's a slight intangible they're trying to work with by pairing up players who have played together.

thought of that as well.  what probably happens is that they are scouting these guys at the same time.  They put them on their board and if they are within one or two spots, they probably try to pair them up. 

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

thought of that as well.  what probably happens is that they are scouting these guys at the same time.  They put them on their board and if they are within one or two spots, they probably try to pair them up. 

Yeah I'm sure some of it is simply coincidental but it seemed like this year it was a little moreso. Helps keep those players comfortable and able to feed off each other. 

If they manage to lock up Thaiss, Marsh, Molina, Williams, Rodriguez, Duensing, Montgomery, and Del Valle I'd be thrilled. Most of the others are college seniors and likely to sign. Excited by the Kalawaia kid too.

Even without these guys hitting the field it looks to have been a promising draft, at least a legit step in the right direction. 

I think what makes this more exciting is that they didn't go with the safe picks and went with the high ceiling guys. High risk, high reward is what is making this feel good as it gives us a little more hope for the near future.

13 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

^^^^^ Oh, boy! Here we go~

I'll be happy if they hit above the Mendoza line in AA.....:572ac679b8023_sticker375x360:

It really doesn't take much to be our best draft since 2009.  In the last 5 years, the Angels have been notoriously awful in the draft, and most of that has to do with Dipoto's approach to the draft.  Low upside, high floor, cheap collegiate players.  The end result of that is a truckload of 26 year olds hitting .234 in AA. 

Here is an interesting tid bit from the 2010 draft.  Harper were taken 1 and 3 overall in that draft.  We had the 18th pick and selected Cowart.  From the Cowart pick on, there are three position players with a WAR above 8 total selected within the first 8 rounds.  Yelich, Simmons and Calhoun.  There are a couple of other players who still may have a major league impact.  Adam Eaton was 19th rounder and Kiermier was a 31st rounder. 

A couple of other guys we missed out on from 2010 are Syndergaard, Aaron Sanchez, Castellanos, Taijuan Walker from the first round and in the second, Simmons and Smyly.  You've got a few guys with limited time in the majors except for a couple relievers and then it's calhoun.  There just wasn't a ton of talent in that draft. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Here is an interesting tid bit from the 2010 draft.  Harper were taken 1 and 3 overall in that draft.  We had the 18th pick and selected Cowart.  From the Cowart pick on, there are three position players with a WAR above 8 total selected within the first 8 rounds.  Yelich, Simmons and Calhoun.  There are a couple of other players who still may have a major league impact.  Adam Eaton was 19th rounder and Kiermier was a 31st rounder. 

A couple of other guys we missed out on from 2010 are Syndergaard, Aaron Sanchez, Castellanos, Taijuan Walker from the first round and in the second, Simmons and Smyly.  You've got a few guys with limited time in the majors except for a couple relievers and then it's calhoun.  There just wasn't a ton of talent in that draft. 

You're right Doc, there wasn't.  And I like that the Angels were taking chances on guys with upside there.  The issue was, the Angels needed to do a better job of finding ball players that early in the draft.  Everyone misses on prospects, it happens more than anyone cares to admit.  The difference is, the Angels had several chances and missed on every last one of them.  There were guys projected to go right around where the Angels were picking, like Sanchez, Sydergaard and Walker and yet for whatever reason the Angels reaches on Lindsay and Bolden, went with Cowart (understandable), brought in Clarke (another understandable move) and scooped up Bedrosian (head scratcher).  

That's the type of draft that can make or break a farm system.  It's pretty clear it broke them.