• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Shoemaker is Clayton Kershaw...

All trade talk aside, his turnaround has been both incredible and incredibly surprising.  He's pitching at an elite level right now, something we rarely see in an Angels uniform. 

And yes, I hate to say it but you have to consider selling high. As somebody else said, if another team meets our price (and please let that price be high)...

16 minutes ago, Glen said:

All trade talk aside, his turnaround has been both incredible and incredibly surprising.  He's pitching at an elite level right now, something we rarely see in an Angels uniform. 

And yes, I hate to say it but you have to consider selling high. As somebody else said, if another team meets our price (and please let that price be high)...

What's our price?

Shoe has been out of his mind and it's really great to see.  

Moving him boils down to what you can get.  Whatever concerns we have are likely to be concerns of any team looking to acquire him.  

Also bear in mind that he's 30 in september.  So even though his turn around might be real it's not likely to last more than a year or two at most.  

If you get a couple of top prospects from a solid system then you have to consider it.  Or one really good one and a lessser guy.  The red sox are in dire need of a starter and have a really good farm.  I doubt you are going to get anyone from their top 5 (moncada, devers, benintendi, espinoza, kopech), but if maybe a couple of their top 15.  Other teams to consider would be bmore, Detroit, or the Giants

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Moving him boils down to what you can get.  Whatever concerns we have are likely to be concerns of any team looking to acquire him.  

Also bear in mind that he's 30 in september.  So even though his turn around might be real it's not likely to last more than a year or two at most.  

If you get a couple of top prospects from a solid system then you have to consider it.  Or one really good one and a lessser guy.  The red sox are in dire need of a starter and have a really good farm.  I doubt you are going to get anyone from their top 5 (moncada, devers, benintendi, espinoza, kopech), but if maybe a couple of their top 15.  Other teams to consider would be bmore, Detroit, or the Giants

This I agree with.  When I think of Shoe, I think of Jake Arrieta who was given away by Baltimore.  WHAT IF Shoemaker figured it out?? But it could just be a hot streak too.  I dunno...

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would rather have one of those top 5 than two of their top 15.

The Angels, if they really believe Shoemaker's changes are permanent, should consider extending him, as Scotty suggested, and at least buy out his arbitration years. At age 29 he likely has about 5 good years left give or take so consideration needs to be given to not only are the changes real and long term but how long they will last based on his high split finger fastball usage and the aging curve.

Personally I'd like to see him stay and get his arb years bought out now. However there are some contending teams out there with really good quality prospects that might be too tempting to pass up if they could help the Angels improve long term. Stradling and others are correct insofar that if the asking price is met you have to consider it.

21 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

As someone who has been high on Shoemaker and low on Santiago, I'd say we trade Shoe to the highest bidder at the deadline, move Santiago to the bullpen ASAP and then hope he establishes himself as a dominant reliever so that we can then trade him as well.

Let's just say, that I'm glad you're just a lousy poster here like myself.

How many of us are buying this as legitimate from Shoe? I don't know where I sit because it's so strange to see someone in the middle of the season start throwing much harder, stop walking anyone and be really good after being really bad before that. It's not like he has been riding BABIP luck either.

I agree with the notion that if he keeps this up for another month or so we need to trade him while his value is high. Another month like this or at least in the ballpark of it would actually give him real deadline value. I saw Trayce Thompson mentioned and that's very unrealistic but a couple of good prospects from a contending team is a possibility. Keep it up Shoe, our farm needs all the help it can get!

I see AK's and Stradling's point to a degree.    Thing though is that Shoe is currently an ace caliber pitcher, granted over just 38 innings.   Those are very important to have for 2017 and beyond.

Main question is, can Shoe keep the new delivery going long term?  Also, can throwing the splitter too often be hard on the shoulder or elbow?

I would be hesitant to trade Shoemaker because we are so short on pitching, but I'd also be cautious because often times players come up and have a good rookie season only to follow it up with a poor second year. If Shoemaker continues to pitch like he has recently I don't think it can be considered a fluke due to the stellar year he had in 2014. We can't trade him for a couple of unproven prospects that may never develop, that would be foolish imo.

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I see AK's and Stradling's point to a degree.    Thing though is that Shoe is currently an ace caliber pitcher, granted over just 38 innings.   Those are very important to have for 2017 and beyond.

Main question is, can Shoe keep the new delivery going long term?  Also, can throwing the splitter too often be hard on the shoulder or elbow?

I can't see us being competitive until 2018 at the earliest (and that is optimistic) so what are the odds of Shoemaker still being really good then? In our case you have to cash in while you can, unless you can be 100 per cent certain in the quality and longevity of your talent (see Trout).

3 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

I can't see us being competitive until 2018 at the earliest (and that is optimistic) so what are the odds of Shoemaker still being really good then? In our case you have to cash in while you can, unless you can be 100 per cent certain in the quality and longevity of your talent (see Trout).

The Angels aren't likely to trade Shoemaker because we need more pitching not less. 

2 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

The Angels aren't likely to trade Shoemaker because we need more pitching not less. 

That's not how you rebuild to being good again. We need to get our hands on quality young talent and the only way to do that quickly is by trading MLB assets.

7 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

That's not how you rebuild to being good again. We need to get our hands on quality young talent and the only way to do that quickly is by trading MLB assets.

You don't rebuild by selling off pitching and throwing in the towel on the season. Quality young talent is nothing more than unproven talent that may never pan out. You are going to be disappointed if you are expecting the Angels to sell off major league talent for prospects. And if Shoemaker is as bad as you think, then why would another team give up "talent" for him?