• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stem Cell Therapy

As Alden reported so well yesterday the sample size and effectivity of stem cell therapy isn't fully known. Everyone here should be prepared for both of them going under the knife in July sometime. From what I've read from Alden and researched on my own the greater the tear of the UCL the more likely surgery is required. Heaney, from all accounts, has less of a tear in his UCL than Richards.

The odds are not in their favor but based on the time frames involved for TMJ recovery waiting 6 weeks wasn't likely to change the outcome for 2017 so trying it doesn't really impact the Angels timeline (although I'd argue that even when TMJ surgery patients recover they don't always throw that well in those first few months of their return).

One of the problems with predicting success for stem cell therapy is that much of the research around cell differentiation has not yet been transferred to medical therapies. Stem cell research has really unlocked some unconventional understandings about cellular behavior but there are more questions than answers remaining.  Regardless of whether the decision of doing the stem cell therapy is successful or not, it can certainly help others in the future, which is not a bad thing.

On May 27, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Torridd said:

I read that this seems to work about 50 per cent of the time. Any thoughts on the therapy and how you think Richards and Heaney will fare?

my online medical school studies didn't cover this subject. sorry.

i think they'll both need surgery.

I looked up the percentages for TJS and according to Wikipedia, 85-92% of pitchers make a full recovery, but more and more seem to require a second TJS ~5 years after. The recovery from the second surgery is a bit lower, more in the 75-80% range.

But yeah, Richards has been a frustrating pitcher. In 2014 he looked like the heir apparent of staff ace from Jered Weaver, and before him John Lackey. But then he got that horrible injury to end the year and didn't come back the same. But this year he looked like he was on his way back to at least near-ace form and then, voila, he needs TJS.

I could see Richards being the type of pitcher who has a better 30s than 20s, but it might not be for the Angels.

On 5/28/2016 at 2:55 AM, bloodbrother said:

Good read on Richards situation

https://www.fanduel.com/insider/2016/05/17/garrett-richards-is-wasting-time-trying-to-avoid-tommy-john-surgery/

Richards sounds like a long shot whereas Heaney may have a chance of having it work since his tear isn't as significant as Richards(according to reports)

Wow, it really sounds like his decision is almost futile. The way that article phrases it, Richards may actually be hurter the team - both financially, but in terms of pushing back his return by a couple months in 2017.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wow, it really sounds like his decision is almost futile. The way that article phrases it, Richards may actually be hurter the team - both financially, but in terms of pushing back his return by a couple months in 2017.

This is the danger in electing alternative treatments that have an unknown probability of success. I understand that most people had rather not go under the knife, but delaying what could be inevitable may cost one or both of them at least part of one season in what is already a limited career.

On May 28, 2016 at 0:59 AM, GalericX said:

I am just tired of Richards being hurt.  Lets say this works(odds are against it), what will it be next year?

leg amputations or a hamstring injury, not sure.