• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The International spending cap

I'm not very familiar with the international rules when it comes to signing players so forgive me here. My question is how much longer are we going to be screwed over by the (disastrous) Baldoquin signing? Is it just this coming signing period that we can't sign anyone or do we still have another two years to go? I know the Dodgers don't give a shit about the luxury tax and have been signing players left and right despite being like a hundred million dollars over, but with Arte I doubt he wants to go over the lux tax for unproven commodities (which is a whole other discussion that is probably for a different thread)

Thanks in advance

Edited by GrittyVeterans

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

May I ask what makes the signing (disastrous)?

Every indication so far says he is really bad at baseball and his signing denied us the opportunity to sign other players while costing a heap of money. It sure isn't looking great.

4 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I'm not very familiar with the international rules when it comes to signing players so forgive me here. My question is how much longer are we going to be screwed over by the (disastrous) Baldoquin signing? Is it just this coming signing period that we can't sign anyone or do we still have another two years to go? I know the Dodgers don't give a shit about the luxury tax and have been signing players left and right despite being like a hundred million dollars over, but with Arte I doubt he wants to go over the lux tax for unproven commodities (which is a whole other discussion that is probably for a different thread)

Thanks in advance

To answer your question, see this from MLBTR...

Because Baldoquin was subject to the international signing bonus, the Angels have now clearly shattered their international bonus pool. By adding Baldoquin, the Halos are subjecting themselves to a 100 percent luxury tax on any dollars spent over their $2.383MM bonus pool, and they will also be ineligible to sign any player for more than $300K in either of the next two international signing periods. They can, however, spend as aggressively as they wish for the remainder of this signing period, which runs through mid-June. At this point, because they’ll already have been hit with the max penalties, the only further penalties they will incur will be the 100 percent on any further dollars that are spent on international free agents.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/angels-to-sign-cuban-infielder-roberto-baldoquin-for-8mm-bonus.html

The "remainder of this signing period" reference is now out of date because this was written in 2014. The two periods it impacts us for are the 2015 and 2016 signing periods. From 2017 we will be back to normal.

Edited by Oz27
factual clarification

I have thought for some time that we needed to look at the older, professional Cuban FA's, since they aren't subject to the international cap like the younger, amateur guys....Seems like a way to work around our situation--no farm, few realistic tradeable parts....But Arte has shut off the spicket....we are dumpster diving only.....

Edited by DMVol

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

I have thought for some time that we needed to look at the older, professional Cuban FA's, since they aren't subject to the international cap like the younger, amateur guys....Seems like a way to work around our situation--no farm, few realistic tradeable parts....But Arte has shut off the spicket....we are dumpster diving only.....

I highly doubt it......Mexicans don't get along with Cubans.

Does anyone remember that cringe worthy highlight reel Baldoquin put out before he signed with the Angels? That was the shittiest video I've ever seen. Dipoto is truly a hack.