• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB could change strike zone & more..

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

No one gives a shit about hockey

Just because its the 4th ranked sport in the USA doesn't mean it isn't gaining some ground in terms of American youth playing it more.

Why do you think Torii Hunter & others are trying to get more inner city youth to play baseball ? Because its known their losing ground to sports like Basketball.

Edited by Scioscia4MVP

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

That's exactly why they are doing it.  Baseball is much slower than it was 30-40 years ago.  Watching games back then was almost like fast paced baseball.  

...and further back than that, super-fast:

June 3, 1932, Yankees and A's

33 runs, 36 hits, 14 walks

time of game: 2 hours, 55 minutes.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=193206030PHA

Edited by fan_since79

The intentional walk is just the pitcher and catcher playing catch.  The wild pitch during an intentional walk has to be such a rarity.  Not only that, but it's just not an exciting play.  Take it out.

If you leave the rule in, then maybe force the catcher to squat during the intentional pitch.  That way it appears to be an unintentional intentional walk.

The big difference between pace of play now and in the 70's is the pitcher.  In the 70's if no one was on base the pitcher pitched the ball if it wasn't hit he caught the ball on the mound, took the sign from the catcher and pitched.  Today's game is, pitcher pitches the ball.  Comes off the mound, catches the ball walks up the mound, gets comfortable, and then looks in for the sign and pitches, and that's the best case scenario.  The next thing that's different is the hitter does the exact same thing.  In and out of the box.  They used to call Mike Hargrove the "Human Rain Delay" because of his antics between pitches in the batters box.  Now that's the norm.  Hell, wanna speed up the game, get rid of batting gloves.  The hitters screw with those things between pitches even if they don't swing at the previous pitch.  I'm sure I sound like "Old man yells at clouds" guy, but it's just an observation. I don't even mind the pace of play, it doesn't bother me, but it was a better game or at least moved better back then.  

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

It's not just pitch and catch. It's 4 live pitches, usually with runners on base. No point in giving out freebies when there's plenty of changes to be made during dead ball time if game duration is the issue. 

The pitcher throws the ball and the catcher catches it.  It's not pitching, at all.

For me, it's not the amount of time the intentional walk takes.  The bottom line is that it is such a rarity and a non-exciting play overall.  Remove it.

23 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I think they are doing it for the new generations that think baseball is slow and boring.

It is slow and boring compared to the other sports it is slow and boring. But who cares thats baseball. It is like a sitcom there is really no story behind it you can turn on game 50 and its the same as game 107 turn it on when you want turn it off when you want and either enjoy it or don't watch. The only thing baseball should be worried about is making the game better and thats catching up with the technology that is already available. Plus don't have two damn rules for two damn different leagues, the Angels shouldn't play a different game just because they are 30 miles south of the Dodgers because one miraculously plays in the AL and the other in the NL. 

I'd like to see MLB commit to a 2.5  hour average game time (excluding extra innings from the calculation of the average) and do whatever it takes to reach it.  Ultimately, if they can't make it happen by less drastic means, implement a pitch clock and limit all mound visits unless changing the pitcher.  These are significant changes and not preferable, however, the pace of the game is a far larger problem to me personally and my enjoyment of the viewing experience.  Your mileage may vary. 

WSJ article on time actually spent in play

Edited by Grit

11 hours ago, Kevinb said:

It is slow and boring compared to the other sports it is slow and boring. But who cares thats baseball. It is like a sitcom there is really no story behind it you can turn on game 50 and its the same as game 107 turn it on when you want turn it off when you want and either enjoy it or don't watch. The only thing baseball should be worried about is making the game better and thats catching up with the technology that is already available. Plus don't have two damn rules for two damn different leagues, the Angels shouldn't play a different game just because they are 30 miles south of the Dodgers because one miraculously plays in the AL and the other in the NL. 

Kevin, do yourself a favor and watch a game from the 60's or 70's.  Baseball isn't just slower than other sports, baseball is slower than baseball.  

On May 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Scioscia4MVP said:

Just because its the 4th ranked sport in the USA doesn't mean it isn't gaining some ground in terms of American youth playing it more.

Why do you think Torii Hunter & others are trying to get more inner city youth to play baseball ? Because its known their losing ground to sports like Basketball.

It may be losing ground in the inner cities IDK ... but youth baseball is probably played more than any other sport nationwide right now. Little league and Travel  Ball are big. 

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Kevin, do yourself a favor and watch a game from the 60's or 70's.  Baseball isn't just slower than other sports, baseball is slower than baseball.  

how much slower is a game today than a game from the 60-70s no I don't want to watch a game from the 60 or 70s. 

13 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

how much slower is a game today than a game from the 60-70s no I don't want to watch a game from the 60 or 70s. 

A lot slower, I would say 30-40 minute longer.  If you don't want to watch a game from the past to understand today's issues then I'm not sure what to say. 

My preference is keep replay out of the game completely. The imperfections of the game by judgement calls make it interesting, frustrating, and intertaining for me. It also speeds the pace of the game. Although, I wouldn't mind using replay during the playoffs. 

Keeping the batter in the box and putting a clock on the pitchers would help. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

A lot slower, I would say 30-40 minute longer.  If you don't want to watch a game from the past to understand today's issues then I'm not sure what to say. 

Do you know how boring that would be to watch a game from 50 years ago. Do people routinely watch 50 year old baseball games for fun? I mean I'm all for a history lesson but isn't it pretty obvious why? Pitchers used to go 9 innings or if not pretty close to it. They didn't use to have managers and pitching coaches have pow wows every 15 pitches, batters didn't have 3 minute walk up songs, they didn't have 48 pitchers pitch in a single game and there weren't 6 minutes of commercials in between each inning. 

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

My preference is keep replay out of the game completely. The imperfections of the game by judgement calls make it interesting, frustrating, and intertaining for me. It also speeds the pace of the game. Although, I wouldn't mind using replay during the playoffs. 

Keeping the batter in the box and putting a clock on the pitchers would help. 

So you would rather your imperfection/wrong calls because thats what keeps the game interesting than have an automatic strike zone built by technology and right calls on the base paths because oh thats interesting how about getting it right. Baseball and their stupid well he's close to the bag call him out at second is so dumb. So what your telling me that you didn't actually tag the bag to call him out you were in the general area so he's out, could you imagine if that happened in any other sport. Hey well the goalie caught it but it was close to the line so you know what thats a goal. It hit the rim on a 3 point attempt but nah we like u it looked good its a 3 pointer. Get the calls right or don't actually have a sport. 

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Do you know how boring that would be to watch a game from 50 years ago. Do people routinely watch 50 year old baseball games for fun? I mean I'm all for a history lesson but isn't it pretty obvious why? Pitchers used to go 9 innings or if not pretty close to it. They didn't use to have managers and pitching coaches have pow wows every 15 pitches, batters didn't have 3 minute walk up songs, they didn't have 48 pitchers pitch in a single game and there weren't 6 minutes of commercials in between each inning. 

And none of that is what I'm talking about.  It's still a great game obviously or else I wouldn't waste many hours each week watching it.  That being said the game moved much quicker 40 years ago.  

To answer your question about whether people routinely watched old sports, have you ever heard of ESPN Classic?