• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Amid career-worst slump, Albert Pujols to stay in cleanup spot

I mean, this swing is picture perfect.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v621512383/sealaa-pujols-563rd-career-homer-ties-jackson/?player_id=405395

Compare it to him falling out of his shoes swinging here. Obviously the same result but a completely different looking swing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v596223683/laamin-pujols-mashes-a-tworun-home-run/?player_id=405395

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/Videos/_Baseball/Public_AlbertPujols_FB_Low_HR_ToLCF_09-001_20FPS_01-15_R.gif

take a look at his base and stride from then to now.  

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Hitting/WhatsTheDealWith/AlbertPujolsSwing.html

interesting article talking about it.  

I mean, this swing is picture perfect.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v621512383/sealaa-pujols-563rd-career-homer-ties-jackson/?player_id=405395

Compare it to him falling out of his shoes swinging here. Obviously the same result but a completely different looking swing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v596223683/laamin-pujols-mashes-a-tworun-home-run/?player_id=405395

Interesting. Combined with a much worse eye at the plate, my biggest concern with Pujols all along has been that he's been so off balance. I'm surprised I haven't heard more discussion about this point. I didn't see yesterday's game and I can't see the video since I'm on a plane but a good clue to Albert's challenges come by observing him after his swing. Right leg falling over the plate, left leg going another direction. Watch old footage of him in St. Louis. That didn't happen. Age takes way a lot but I would think general balance would be somewhat manageable for a super star. Maybe I'm wrong.

I might be the only one that is rooting for the guy to bust out of his slump and perform at a high level like he did last year over that 2+ month stretch so that we can win ball games.

I must be a Super Fan! 

Are you just realizing this now, Chuck? You are THE Super Fan ;).

On a serious note, of course my preference would be to see Pujols actually hit well. But what I find hard to stomach is the 1-2 great months/3-4 crap months routine.

I also admit to still being butthurt about not getting some semblance of St Louis Pujols. The guy is now hitting .262/.323/.472 as an Angel, which is so disappointing. He could end his career hitting .250/.310/.450 as an Angel...being paid $250M for it.

Yeah, I'm still butthurt.

Ya know, I don't hate Albert either (in fact I was excited when we signed him) but I find it increasingly hard to watch him gidp and kill innings for the $250M he's getting paid. I would much prefer the Albert that got hot last season instead of the Albert that has gone pull happy against the shift. It may not be fair but I'd find it a lot easier to take if he was making half of what he is. At his salary (given his below par performance) it's just a reminder of how bad the Angels were taken to the cleaners on his contract. Sure we didn't have to sign him, but is there really anyone that would have predicted how far Albert would fall and so fast? That he would go from being the most feared hitter in the game to a .260 hitter as an Angel and falling practically over night?

I'd just love it if Albert had a couple of big seasons because it would help my favorite team but that's not going to happen. Albert was only 32 when he arrived in Anaheim 4 years ago and it's really doubtful that he's going to improve at the age of 36. In fact he's probably had his best Angel seasons already and that is frightening to think about. 

Maybe Albert will get going and have a couple of good years and I'll have to eat some crow but I'm not going to hold my breath because I think we've seen the best of Albert already.

Edited by Angels#1Fan

He's been on the Angels for what 4 or 5 years now I have lost track. On what planet does a dude walk away from about 150 or so million dollars? Maybe the last year of his contract but even his last year isn't he making around 30 or 35 mil? Guys gonna be here till the very end. 

He's been on the Angels for what 4 or 5 years now I have lost track. On what planet does a dude walk away from about 150 or so million dollars? Maybe the last year of his contract but even his last year isn't he making around 30 or 35 mil? Guys gonna be here till the very end.

When the dude has made $100's of millions

He actually said he'd stop playing if he was no longer helping his team. Now of course "helping" is subjective. He might think he's "helping" if he hits .220/.280/.390 with 25 HR.

HAHAHAHA

Your opinion of this speaks more about you Kevin than it does Albert. Kevin if you make $100k a year and you saved up for retirement and you're financially secure for retirement, do you keep working for $100-150k a year? Ok now be Albert, you've made so much money that you can enjoy the finest things in life forever. You don't have to be away from your wife and family for 6 months a year. You don't have to travel all the time. Even if you fly first class flying 6-8 times a month would totally suck. I obviously don't make Albert money, but I do ok and one day I'll have to make that decision and the decision will be pretty easy.

Your opinion of this speaks more about you Kevin than it does Albert. Kevin if you make $100k a year and you saved up for retirement and you're financially secure for retirement, do you keep working for $100-150k a year? Ok now be Albert, you've made so much money that you can enjoy the finest things in life forever. You don't have to be away from your wife and family for 6 months a year. You don't have to travel all the time. Even if you fly first class flying 6-8 times a month would totally suck. I obviously don't make Albert money, but I do ok and one day I'll have to make that decision and the decision will be pretty easy.

Dude plays a ****ing sport the finer things in life? Are you kidding me none of this is hard for him or any of the other athletes. They are all perpetual babies and they have every thing handed to them. Dude won't walk away cause you and your fanatical fans will be mad he's hitting 240 and 30 home runs a year. No one in their right mind walks away from 100 million dollars. Dude will be 40 not 65 years old and retiring. Athletes usually are super depressed after retiring from the sport that "entertains" fans for their entire life. No one just says well u know what fans are mad at me boo hoo heres 100 million dollars. If he was so inclined to take less money and not be a burden on the team instead of taking the 10 year 250 million contract and personal services contract on top of that he would have taken the 10 year and say hey whats another 150 mil ill play for 10 mil a year wait no **** it ill play for 1 mil a year wait no **** it again I'm good I've already made 100 mil or more ill play for 100 grand a year. Seems fair. Dude get real. 

Life is so hard I play a sport for a living haha dude are u kidding its 3 hours a day get to wake up relax and go play a sport these guys have been playing their whole life, travel, etc. It is a brother hood. These guys who stick around for 20 plus years love every minute of it.

Dude plays a ****ing sport the finer things in life? Are you kidding me none of this is hard for him or any of the other athletes. They are all perpetual babies and they have every thing handed to them. Dude won't walk away cause you and your fanatical fans will be mad he's hitting 240 and 30 home runs a year. No one in their right mind walks away from 100 million dollars. Dude will be 40 not 65 years old and retiring. Athletes usually are super depressed after retiring from the sport that "entertains" fans for their entire life. No one just says well u know what fans are mad at me boo hoo heres 100 million dollars. If he was so inclined to take less money and not be a burden on the team instead of taking the 10 year 250 million contract and personal services contract on top of that he would have taken the 10 year and say hey whats another 150 mil ill play for 10 mil a year wait no **** it ill play for 1 mil a year wait no **** it again I'm good I've already made 100 mil or more ill play for 100 grand a year. Seems fair. Dude get real. 

If you think playing professional sports requiring physical strain, commitment and sacrifice  isn't hard than you know absolutely nothing about sports.  Seriously your first two sentences maybe the stupidest thing ever said on this board.  You should censor  yourself because you clearly have no perspective about what is happening.

Ok buddy. You obviously don't follow me on Twitter or else you would know I'm not one of those mad fans that cares how much a guy gets paid. He won't finish his ten year contract, I stand by that, and I'd be surprised if he played past 2018 if he continues to hit in the low .200's and continues to struggle with injury. Sure it's a brotherhood, but it isn't family.

Life is so hard I play a sport for a living haha dude are u kidding its 3 hours a day get to wake up relax and go play a sport these guys have been playing their whole life, travel, etc. It is a brother hood. These guys who stick around for 20 plus years love every minute of it.

Seriously, stop it......its embarrassing!  3 hours????  Do you really believe all that goes into playing professional sports is showing up for the games?

Seriously, stop it......its embarrassing!  3 hours????  Do you really believe all that goes into playing professional sports is showing up for the games?

First off this sacrifice you talk about is getting sweetly paid millions of dollars to play a game. Oh no they have to work out and practice and perform something most these people love to do and they've done it their entire life. It really isn't that difficult to practice and work out daily train. Yes its difficult as hell to be the top 1% of the baseball players and make it in professional lives. But to say their lives are so hard is insane. Dude had/has a gift from God to play baseball and training working out and preparing daily is something that comes with the territory. Baseball is what a 6 month regular season sport and they play half their games at home so they are on the road for half of it. You people act like this is slave labor. Like they are being handsomely rewarded for it. No I don't care how much these athletes are being paid, they probably should get paid more than they do considering what live rights are right now. Seriously you are babying these athletes. Please if you think my comments are embarrassing then don't respond to them better yet, pm me and we can chat more in depth. 

Ok buddy. You obviously don't follow me on Twitter or else you would know I'm not one of those mad fans that cares how much a guy gets paid. He won't finish his ten year contract, I stand by that, and I'd be surprised if he played past 2018 if he continues to hit in the low .200's and continues to struggle with injury. Sure it's a brotherhood, but it isn't family.

Why would i follow you on twitter? First who the heck even says that. Dude bro you don't follow me on twitter or you would know what i stand for on contracts. Is this real life? Is this an actual conversation we are having? Second I don't quite know his contract off the top of my head but didn't he back load it a lot like 30 mil per year the last couple years cause wasn't he taking 15 or 16 the first couple years? I can't remember you would know more than I. But dude is not walking away from 100 million dollars or 50 million dollars, maybe he walks his last year but even if he walks his last year the Angels will give him a sweetheart heres half your base salary to walk away/retire/your hurting your team/please take this and don't come back money. 

First off this sacrifice you talk about is getting sweetly paid millions of dollars to play a game. Oh no they have to work out and practice and perform something most these people love to do and they've done it their entire life. It really isn't that difficult to practice and work out daily train. Yes its difficult as hell to be the top 1% of the baseball players and make it in professional lives. But to say their lives are so hard is insane. Dude had/has a gift from God to play baseball and training working out and preparing daily is something that comes with the territory. Baseball is what a 6 month regular season sport and they play half their games at home so they are on the road for half of it. You people act like this is slave labor. Like they are being handsomely rewarded for it. No I don't care how much these athletes are being paid, they probably should get paid more than they do considering what live rights are right now. Seriously you are babying these athletes. Please if you think my comments are embarrassing then don't respond to them better yet, pm me and we can chat more in depth.

Wow. All this because I said he wouldn't play out his entire contract. I said he wouldn't finish it because he won't want to because of where his performance would be. If you don't think walking away from $100 million is different for someone who has made $100's of million then I guess we will agree to disagree. Gil Meche walked away from $12 million and retired at 32.

Why would i follow you on twitter? First who the heck even says that. Dude bro you don't follow me on twitter or you would know what i stand for on contracts. Is this real life? Is this an actual conversation we are having? Second I don't quite know his contract off the top of my head but didn't he back load it a lot like 30 mil per year the last couple years cause wasn't he taking 15 or 16 the first couple years? I can't remember you would know more than I. But dude is not walking away from 100 million dollars or 50 million dollars, maybe he walks his last year but even if he walks his last year the Angels will give him a sweetheart heres half your base salary to walk away/retire/your hurting your team/please take this and don't come back money.

The follow me on Twitter is a joke here on AngelsWin. So yea, it's a joke.