• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

5 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Angels are playing it overly conservative because that's just their model for advancement. I've already voiced my displeasure over the logic, so we don't need to go there. But simply enough, I truly believe Jahmai was ready for A Ball this year.

Among position players, the Angels have strayed from their promotion schedule for only two, Trout and Calhoun. Trout skipped over Orem, spent only half a year killing every team in the Midwest League, spent very little time in the Cal League and half a season in AA. Calhoun did his customary half season in Orem and full at Inland Empire, but they skipped him up to AAA and the majors shortly thereafter.

If you're looking for any player that's truly going to be a special talent, just look for the Angels altering their promotion time. All too often we see hitters that clearly aren't challenged, but the Angels keep them right where they're at.

If Jones is in the Cal League by the end of next year, then we'll know he's the type of player even the Angels can't screw up. Same goes for Thaiss, if they move him to AA.

It's only 3 weeks left in the season. I don't see much reason to promote him at this point. I think if they were going to move him they needed to do it a month ago. Normal slumps can last for 3 weeks and if you add in an adjustment period of moving to a new place, meeting new people, and all that comes with changing teams and it can be even tougher. Neither of us really know Jahmai Jones and how he'd handle it if he puts up a .200 AVG over the next 3 weeks if he got promoted. Maybe it would be the best thing that could happen to him. Maybe it would motivate him to work even harder. He certainly came off a so-so rookie season and played great this year. But struggling could also hurt his confidence going forward and put some doubt in his mind. Either way, I don't think staying in Orem for an extra 3 weeks or moving up to Burlington right now will make a huge difference.

This isn't to say that in other instances or keeping someone down for an extra half season doesn't matter. Just right now in this instance I don't think it will effect the type of player Jones becomes.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

It's only 3 weeks left in the season. I don't see much reason to promote him at this point. I think if they were going to move him they needed to do it a month ago. Normal slumps can last for 3 weeks and if you add in an adjustment period of moving to a new place, meeting new people, and all that comes with changing teams and it can be even tougher. Neither of us really know Jahmai Jones and how he'd handle it if he puts up a .200 AVG over the next 3 weeks if he got promoted. Maybe it would be the best thing that could happen to him. Maybe it would motivate him to work even harder. He certainly came off a so-so rookie season and played great this year. But struggling could also hurt his confidence going forward and put some doubt in his mind. Either way, I don't think staying in Orem for an extra 3 weeks or moving up to Burlington right now will make a huge difference.

This isn't to say that in other instances or keeping someone down for an extra half season doesn't matter. Just right now in this instance I don't think it will effect the type of player Jones becomes.

I'm not advocating the Angels promote Jones right now, I'm advocating that they should've done it to start this year.

7 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I agree he should start at 3B, and that it's the right move, but would you envision Scioscia asking a vet like Escobar moving positions, to a place he's rarely played in 2B, in favor of a rookie?  I just don't see it.  I just figure 2B is his quickest path to the MLB where replacement level players are the only ones blocking him.

Scioscia moved Hunter to RF in favor of Bourjos as a rookie (Hunter volunteered).

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Scioscia moved Hunter to RF in favor of Bourjos as a rookie (Hunter volunteered).

True...wonder if a mercurial personality like Escobar would be open to it even if asked?  He last played 2B briefly as a rookie (21 games) 10 seasons ago so it wouldn't be like he was going back to an old position.  

Either way, they have to find a way to allow Cowart into the everyday line-up since this season is done.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The 24-year-old has homered in two straight games and now carries a .319 average over 116 second-half at-bats. Cowart ranks second in the Pacific Coast League with 33 doubles and has also logged 18 steals on 22 attempts this year. 

Exactly...and its Aug 15th with the Angels 19 games out of the West.  No reason he shouldn't be up.

Moving Escobar would be a disaster. He barely has enough range to handle a position with a foul line and just the thought of him in a double play combo is cringe worthy. 

Cowart only has value at this point as a second baseman but it would require a roster move to fit him in.

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moving Escobar would be a disaster. He barely has enough range to handle a position with a foul line and just the thought of him in a double play combo is cringe worthy. 

Cowart only has value at this point as a second baseman but it would require a roster move to fit him in.

I disagree but don't feel like arguing it with you.  We don't have a great defensive 2nd baseman anyway.  I would rather upgrade defensively at 3rd, take our lumps at 2nd base the remainder of the season.  I want to know if Cowart can hit major league pitching, if he can then we are in a much better place.  Hell I would even be ok moving Escobar out to left field, he can not possibly worse than Choi.  We have tried a middle infielder in LF a first baseman out in left field, might as well go with a 3rd baseman out in left field.  There are two skill sets that are undeniable between Escobar and Cowart.  Escobar can lead off and get on base, Cowart can pick it at third.  This season is lost, lets see if we can create some depth. 

Cowart has been hitting like this for the most part over the past nearly two years in AA/AAA.

His 2013-14 slump is waaaay in the past now.

Nothing is beneficial in keeping him at AAA at this point.

Move Escobar to LF if they have to.   Cowart needs the everyday 3B MLB experience STAT!

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree but don't feel like arguing it with you.  We don't have a great defensive 2nd baseman anyway.  I would rather upgrade defensively at 3rd, take our lumps at 2nd base the remainder of the season.  I want to know if Cowart can hit major league pitching, if he can then we are in a much better place.  Hell I would even be ok moving Escobar out to left field, he can not possibly worse than Choi.  We have tried a middle infielder in LF a first baseman out in left field, might as well go with a 3rd baseman out in left field.  There are two skill sets that are undeniable between Escobar and Cowart.  Escobar can lead off and get on base, Cowart can pick it at third.  This season is lost, lets see if we can create some depth. 

Exactly.  When you're down like this team is and are building for next year, you go out and tool with defensive alignment and the roster.  If Marte wasn't hurt, I'd like to see him log some time at 3B.  I'd stick Buss out in LF and give him a long leash.  He looked good in Spring and was very good early in the year in AAA before injuries struck.  I'd also like to see Rafael Ortega back with the team and receiving some looks.  Cowart too. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I have posted and asked about moving that ding dong Escobar to LF & DH for the last 2 months!

It's great that he can hit well BUT........

There is absolutely no reason for Cowart to be at 2nd base! Dude is a stud 3rd baseman and we need to see what he can do ASAP! 

7 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Exactly.  When you're down like this team is and are building for next year, you go out and tool with defensive alignment and the roster.  If Marte wasn't hurt, I'd like to see him log some time at 3B.  I'd stick Buss out in LF and give him a long leash.  He looked good in Spring and was very good early in the year in AAA before injuries struck.  I'd also like to see Rafael Ortega back with the team and receiving some looks.  Cowart too. 

yep.  start experimenting.  they think they know what Cowart is, but it wouldn't be the first time a team was wrong about a prospect.  Not saying the guy is gonna be Josh Donaldson, but it happens.  Just for kicks btw, check out Donaldson's minor league path.  Broke in 2007 at age 21 and killed it at low A.  .772 ops at A and A+ the next year.  .795 ops at AA in 2009.  then an .812 ops at AAA in 2010 (age 24).  Cowart currently has an .810 ops as a recently turned 24yo at AAA.  

At the very least, bring him up and platoon him at 3b.  Let him play vs. Rhers.  

I don't get it really.  He's their only position player prospect above A+.  They are on pace for 94 losses.  But let's play Pennington and Gia at 2b.  The. Season. Is. Over.  Get the guy 150 PA at the major league level.  

21 minutes ago, howie said:

I just noticed that Michael Pierson was released in July- anyone know why?  He batted .395 last season- I realize he may have been a bit old for A ball (24), but seems like he could hit a little 

It's a numbers game. The new draft meant a wave of new prospects and at his age and developmental level, he needs to hit the cover off the ball in order to be kept.

19 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Jones got promoted.

Yeah I saw that.  pretty confusing to promote him now.  He'll only get a few games in, whereas the Pioneer League playoffs will be coming up soon, and Orem wad the first half champion.

The only thing I can think of is that they just want him to get a taste of Burlington now so that when next season rolls around he won't be as surprised by any of it.  He'll be returning to a place of familiarity.  If the Angels are smart, they'd have him in Cal League the second he isn't being challenged. 

As for the average fan, don't be deceived by the numbers.  Midwest League can be difficult on a hitter, just as the Cal League can inflate numbers and excite fans. 

2 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Yeah I saw that.  pretty confusing to promote him now.  He'll only get a few games in, whereas the Pioneer League playoffs will be coming up soon, and Orem wad the first half champion.

The only thing I can think of is that they just want him to get a taste of Burlington now so that when next season rolls around he won't be as surprised by any of it.  He'll be returning to a place of familiarity.  If the Angels are smart, they'd have him in Cal League the second he isn't being challenged. 

As for the average fan, don't be deceived by the numbers.  Midwest League can be difficult on a hitter, just as the Cal League can inflate numbers and excite fans. 

Hey ScottyA do you think they'll move Thaiss and maybe Montgomery up to High A this year to give them a taste of that level?