• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have a big chance to improve in the next couple days

James Loney was informed he will not be making e Opening Day roster for the Tampa Bay Rays and that they're searching for a trade opportunity to present itself before Opening Day. He's a left handed first baseman that's considered to be a gifted defender. Last season he hit .280 and throughout his career, he's been a steady source of BA, OBP, lots of doubles and 10+ HR's on an annual basis. The big hurdle here is the money, but if the Rays are willing to knock it down to 2-3 million and get a depth piece in AAA in return, the Angels could have a dynamic option coming off the bench.

Loney would be an upgrade over Ji-Man Choi as late inning defensive replacement and primary pinch hitter and serve as insurance for C.J. Cron.

The Braves let go over former Angels farmhand Alex Torres, who has had a very good career as a lefty reliever. If we can slot him in AAA, he could be insurance if Mahle can't keep lefties off base. Also, Rule 5 pick Chris o'Grady will not be kept by the Reds and has been offered back to the Angels. O'Grady was fantastic in both AA and AAA last year.

Here's an opportunity that Eppler would be smart to jump on.

I think I read somewhere that Choi doesn't have to be offered back to Baltimore and, like Deolis Guerra, could be resigned to a minor league deal. He could also choose any other team though.

Something along the lines of how BAL signed him originally as a minor league FA who had cleared waivers when he was outrighted by SEA. He then rejected the outright assignment, became a minor league FA, and signed with BAL.

Edited by totdprods

I really don't see Loney helping the Angels at all. He is another Rays burnout at this point, Matt Joyce part Deux.

Big difference from wanting someone to start in LF and being the late game defensive replacement for Cron when Pujols is DH and be an insurance if Pujols goes down. 

The question is would Loney be better than Choi assuming the $ is equal

I like Navarro but nando you are overstating his abilities in these threads. Well I guess you aren't, but he isn't a difference maker. I would take Loney over Navarro in a second. There is no way the Angels would pay $8 million for him. If he is about to be waved we could probably get him for about $! million. I would take Loney over someone that could possibly be our 5th outfielder.

Big difference from wanting someone to start in LF and being the late game defensive replacement for Cron when Pujols is DH and be an insurance if Pujols goes down.

The question is would Loney be better than Choi assuming the $ is equal

First off the dollars won't be equal, Choi is mlb minimum. But more importantly Lonely has fallen off to the point you are taking on a high risk for no real reason.

First off the dollars won't be equal, Choi is mlb minimum. But more importantly Lonely has fallen off to the point you are taking on a high risk for no real reason.

But Eric, if the Rays have told Loney he won't make the opening day roster, he is likely to be waived or traded for basically nothing. I would take Loney and his glove and track record for around $1 million over Choi any day.

I would have said Choi a month ago but it looks like we have great 4th/5th outfield depth and Choi's versatility was overstated. He kinda sucks in the outfield and was told to stop switch hitting. 

Grabbing Loney and offering Choi back would be a brilliant move. 

so Choi sucks but the Rays would want him? lol