• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Homeless Bill of Rights

Do homeless people deserve their own "bill of rights?" One California lawmaker says yes. Tuesday, a bill was making its way through the state Capitol that would allow homeless people to sit, sleep and panhandle in public.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/state&id=9077127

Only in California!  And they originally wanted to make urinating in public legal.  Unreal

"Homelessness today is women and children who lost housing; professionals who have lost jobs due to our economic problems," said Beale.

See, it's OK for men to be homeless but when it's women and children, well, we need to fire up the sympathy machine!  

I'm slightly conflicted about this.  I can only imagine how horrible it is to be homeless but at the same time, I don't want an army of homeless people taking over my neighborhood.  This is one area where I fall in with the NIMBY crowd.  Not proud of that, but being honest.  

I was listening to a radio broadcast where they were interviewing a police officer whom works with the homeless.  He said there are services and shelters aplenty for those seeking help.  In his estimation, 90% of people that live on the street are there because they want to be and refuse offers of help.  Most are addicts of one form or another.  Others just want off the grid.  I don't think these people need a BOR

I was listening to a radio broadcast where they were interviewing a police officer whom works with the homeless.  He said there are services and shelters aplenty for those seeking help.  In his estimation, 90% of people that live on the street are there because they want to be and refuse offers of help.  Most are addicts of one form or another.  Others just want off the grid.  I don't think these people need a BOR

Yes.  Our Department created a "homeless assistance unit" awhile back, along with a touchy-feely Parolee assistance unit.  They would basically drive around placing homeless in shelters, and driving Parolees to job interviews....  90% fail.

Homeless are people; they already have the same rights as anybody else.  

I agree, the majority of homeless people are either lazy or drug addicts.  They deserve no aid.  But what are we supposed to do with the ones who have serious mental conditions?  Just let them rot?  (By the way, I'm legitimately undecided on this issue.  Not trying to stir the pot.) 

I am well, too.  Thanks for asking.  Insofar as coming back is concerned, I actually never left.  I just decided that it would probably be in the best interest of everybody if I didn't post for a while.  In the meantime, I've done a lot of research, and read a lot of good conservative literature (mostly Ayn Rand, who I admire greatly) to counteract my natural liberal bias.  I think I came out the better for it.  Hopefully you will agree.  

Ayn Rand isn't good literature. Trust me, I know: I'm an English major.

I'm an English major, too. What does that have to do with anything? Instead of asking me to trust you, why don't you put your critical thinking English major skills to work, and explain to me, using concrete details, why it is that you feel the way you do?  In other words: what did you read?  And what about it didn't you like?  I'm not saying that there aren't any valid arguments against her philosophy or her style.  If you were to tell me that you found John Galt's sixty page diatribe tedious, I would agree with you.  If you thought the discourse shared between the dying inspector and Hank Reardon at the end of Atlas Shrugged was cheesy as hell, I would agree with you.  But overall I think Ayn Rand is a very talented writer.  If you disagree, that's fine.  I'm open to your opinion.  But give me an opinion to be open to.  Don't just tell me that you're an English major, and let that be the end of the discussion.