• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andre Ethier in play

Troll Daddy

I'm almost at the point where I give Nava/Gentry and some other scrub a chance this year and at the Trade deadline dependent upon the draft deal for someone then. Or, just wait and toss $$$ at Reddick next year.

Overall, I'm pretty frustrated. There were so many ways to upgrade LF this year and bring someone in that could help today and the next 3-4 years and we sat on our wallet. Though I like the trade for Simmons I just didn't like what we gave up most notably Nuke Newcomb...

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

Angels would like to trade Wilson in a deal? Pitchers will be on display very soon. Although, the Dodgers may want young cost controlled pitching? I'm not sure there is a match here ... depending on who is traded the Dodgers may have to eat a large portion of his salary.

The Dodgers probably have all the pitching that they will likely get going into the season, and their staff is already heavily left handed.

They do have the money. The owner just didn't want to spend any more. It's his team so he can do with it whatever he wants. When it comes to players, they obviously have nothing to offer when it comes to prospects considering the embarrassing state of their farm system. All they have to lean on is having 7-8 starters, but it's more quantity over quality with that group as well. This isn't like the Mets with their SP depth of young, high impact arms or anything like that

I would take Eaton, although I say that not having looked at the guys stats and knowing he is good defensively and looks good when I have watched him.

I would take Eaton in a heartbeat, being relatively familiar with his stats.

Unfortunately, those same stats make it less likely that the ChiSox would part with him.

It absolutely is.  Only mostly though.   

Some of it was a bit of a perfect storm of missteps -- the Clay Daniel thing ruined their reputations, so they didn't have people in place to try to exploit the final years of the free spending down there before MLB put in all the new rules.  How much of that is totally on Arte and how much belongs to the front office for not making a stronger case for spending ..  we have no idea.   But, I've had several outside sources in other organizations say the Angels have been cutting scouts or simply not renewing dudes for several years now,   Some of that was thought to be JD's doing, but there was a feeling they were skimping and cutting corners in other areas too -- and that HAS to be pegged on Arte. 

The part I struggle with...  and why I do tend to put a lot of the blame on him is that he KNEW how important the farm system was.   The GM he revered was this massive proponent of investing big into player development and building from within -- hell, the man is still talking about it in semi-retirement.  Arte was present when the farm system was full of more than warm bodies and he had to see how the multiple levels of talent helped the team over the years and yet he didn't add to what had been it's greatest asset.

I get that the rules changed and teams had to stick to the budget's assigned to them and maybe that's where the blame can be shifted more towards the people who were making those drafting decisions in recent years..  But, that money that wasn't being spent on signing guys should have been invested in adding more scouts and making the absolute best possible decisions.  

The Baldoquin thing..   Not idea what to make of that...

Look at the budget and it will come to you. It's not rocket science. Arte has spent enough IMHO.

Yes the budget that allowed them to spend $7 million on a 3rd baseman when your two most MLB ready minor leaguers play 3rd base. They could have used that money plus the money they gave Nava-Gentry and signed an everyday left fielder. So it's not about budget it's about how to spend.