• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Denard Span's twin brother

And his name is Daniel Gentry...

or Craig Nava (whichever you prefer).

Denard Span Career:

AVG: .287
OBP: .352
SLG: .395
SB-CS: 26-7
Defensive UZR (annual average) : 3.3

Daniel Gentry Career (Based on respective splits):

AVG: .278
OBP: .366
SLG: .388
SB-CS: 19-5
Defensive UZR (annual average) : 5.86

*Averaged out Nava's and Gentry's stats into one player*

Very, very similar numbers between the 2 (or 3) players. I'm very dissapointed on Arte's comments myself... but on a more positive note, I think we are completely overlooking how large of an upgrade we have acquired for LF. $2.375M is the cost for them according to Jeff Fletcher. Now, there is always the chance that these stats cant identically repeat themselves in a platoon the way we would like (ala Victorino-DeJesus) but Span comes with his own question marks. Of course I'd like on of the big 3 OF, or even Span for that matter, but we SHOULD be getting tremendous value in respect to the money that we are paying. 

The biggest need of the off-season IMO, was OBP. We have acquired a 3B man with a career .350 OBP, and a platoon that at a minimum should produce .340. That a long with pretty solid defense  with the platoon, as well as a situational bat off the bench. 

I think that Eppler has done a well job with the minimal resources that Arte seems to be giving him. This isn't an "I love Eppler thread"  (or anything like that, but just trying to add an optimistic outlook to the team after today's news). 

Hoping for Santiago and Gio to be flipped for Ryan Goins (defensive 2B), Brett Cecil, and DJ Davis. I'm probably underselling on Santiago, maybe add another mid tier prospect. Goins would be an offensive downgrade but he is much better defensively, which I think is critical with Simmons at SS. Plus he is still young and feel like he may have offensive upside higher than Giovotella's. Brett Cecil would be a great improvement for the pen, and Davis provides the high-ceiling prospect (OF) that our system lacks. 

Edited by marcosantinia12

If I told you Daniel Nava had an offensive stat that was .245 in 2015, you'd guess batting average right? Well no, that was his slugging percentage. Somewhere, Reggie Willits, Johnny Giavotella and Juan Pierre are all sitting down in a room blushing.

Also, I don't hate the platoon idea. My only issue with it last year was half of the platoon (Victorino) sucked. The overall production we got from that platoon was mediocre at best and now we've put a significantly worse one together.

If I told you Daniel Nava had an offensive stat that was .245 in 2015, you'd guess batting average right? Well no, that was his slugging percentage. Somewhere, Reggie Willits, Johnny Giavotella and Juan Pierre are all sitting down in a room blushing.

Also, I don't hate the platoon idea. My only issue with it last year was half of the platoon (Victorino) sucked. The overall production we got from that platoon was mediocre at best and now we've put a significantly worse one together.

Mindblowlingly low, but again are we really going to evaluate them based on a selective small sample?

You can't fob off a full season of statistics as a small sample size. I know it was somewhat limited ABs but his terrible performance dictated that. It's a season, not a month.

Also Gentry has a .570 OPS with a sub .300 OBP over the past two seasons combined. Neither of these guys are trending in an encouraging direction. It's an entirely unacceptable and frankly disgraceful situation for a team that made "win now" type moves and which has the best player in baseball to start a season with those two being your LF regulars.

They are both corner outfielders with little to no power coming off terrible seasons. Gentry over his last two seasons has 324 PA with a .230/.297/.273/.572. Terrible. Nava's last two seasons: 574 PA with a .249/.337/.329/.666. Also terrible. Hopefully, Arte's comments are just trying to lower the actual good FA prices down, but I'm incredibly worried if these two are the plan for LF.

You can't fob off a full season of statistics as a small sample size. I know it was somewhat limited ABs but his terrible performance dictated that. It's a season, not a month.

Also Gentry has a .570 OPS with a sub .300 OBP over the past two seasons combined. Neither of these guys are trending in an encouraging direction. It's an entirely unacceptable and frankly disgraceful situation for a team that made "win now" type moves and which has the best player in baseball to start a season with those two being your LF regulars.

I will agree with you on that. This is a type of team that in my opinion can sneak into the playoffs (where any team can win) if all the cards fall in to the right place. There is  very little room for error as in underachieving, injury, etc. I'm not trying to come off as encouraging of the direction we are going on, just pointing out that these transactions are a lot more welcoming than Matt Joyce. For me at least. 

Joyce, obviously a terrible player for us, did put up better number in his previous two seasons before joining the team than either of these though: .244/.339/.401/.740. 

Joyce was dreadful in 2015, there is no argument against that. But his 2015 OPS was still higher than Gentry or Nava put up last year. Think about that...they were worse than Matt freaking Joyce. For that matter, Navarro, Robertson and even Victorino all had a higher OPS last year than both Gentry and Nava. If they really are our solution - and I'm still holding out hope that they are not - then we are in a world of shit.

Our LF production won't be any worse this year than last because statistically that would be very difficult to achieve.   But there is a very real chance of it being almost as bad.  Most likely it will be slightly below average.  

We have a bunch of positions where there is a low chance of good and high chance of being less than mediocre.  You even all of them out and add Mike Trout for 85 wins.  

Our LF production won't be any worse this year than last because statistically that would be very difficult to achieve. But there is a very real chance of it being almost as bad. Most likely it will be slightly below average.

We have a bunch of positions where there is a low chance of good and high chance of being less than mediocre. You even all of them out and add Mike Trout for 85 wins.

You seem to belivethe FO isn't aware of the situation. I have more faith in them that the solutions here on a internet site.

Everyone here seems to be on the same page as you. I really understand your concerns. Still a little too early to get riled up about.