• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Tyler Skaggs can't wait

ABC

Skaggs, who mixes a 92-mph fastball with a curve and changeup, was a rotation mainstay in 2014, but he is not guaranteed of a spot next spring.

Barring a trade, the Angels have seven other major league-caliber arms in Garrett Richards, Andrew HeaneyHector Santiago, Jered Weaver, C.J. WilsonMatt Shoemakerand Nick Tropeano.

"I'm coming in just like when I got traded to the Angels — I have to show I'm able to pitch in the big leagues and make the team," Skaggs said. "I'm all for the competition. It will make me work even harder."

If Skaggs is physically sound and as sharp as he was in 2014, Manager Mike Scioscia likes his chances.

"Tyler understands he has to win a position," Scioscia said. "But if he's throwing to his capabilities, he will win a spot, because there's no doubt his stuff is really, really good."

Skaggs has two minor league options, so the Angels could send him to triple-A without having to pass him through waivers. Skaggs didn't spend 1 1/2 years rehabilitating from surgery with a goal of pitching at Salt Lake in mind, but if that's the road that leads him back to the big leagues, he'll take it.

"Nothing is a given in this game," Skaggs said. "If I don't make team, I'll go down to triple-A, work on my stuff and come back up when I get the call. It's not life or death."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-tyler-skaggs-20151216-story.html

Something to consider: the Halos have 4 lefty starters out of the 8 deep that they have.

But one of the righties (Weaver) may be on the way out soon and another (Shoe) may be better served in the pen.

It hasn't been discussed before. But how about swapping Santiago for another team's righty starter? Heaney and Skaggs are enough lefties long term beyond 2016 in the rotation, with Smith and DeLoach adding AAA depth.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Something to consider: the Halos have 4 lefty starters out of the 8 deep that they have.

But one of the righties (Weaver) may be on the way out soon and another (Shoe) may be better served in the pen.

It hasn't been discussed before. But how about swapping Santiago for another team's righty starter? Heaney and Skaggs are enough lefties long term beyond 2016 in the rotation, with Smith and DeLiach adding AAA depth.

Good idea AO. Maybe something like a Santiago for Cashner swap.

Excited to get Skaggs back. Should help form a nice young trio with him, Heaney and Richards in this rotation. Skaggs has better stuff than Heaney, though Heaney's command is a notch above Skagg's right now

With all the lefties they have, I absolutely think this is the right time to sell Santiago. He's coming off a career year that I just don't see him repeating. He's a solid enough arm but he's an extreme flyball pitcher, doesn't pitch deep into games, and none of his pitches really stand out. I think if the Angels hold onto him this year he'll have an ERA north of 4

Edited by bloodbrother

This is not inside information by any means, but I'm told the strikeout pitchers with solid BB/9 rates of NY's past are on Eppler. He advised Cashman to pursue via trade starters that could generate early count swings and misses. I imagine he justified it with some stadium specific algorithm.

When I hear that, it makes me think he'll hold onto higher K pitchers like Santiago and Shoe and instead trade Heaney or Skaggs.

Excited to get Skaggs back. Should help form a nice young trio with him, Heaney and Richards in this rotation. Skaggs has better stuff than Heaney, though Heaney's command is a notch above Skagg's right now

With all the lefties they have, I absolutely think this is the right time to sell Santiago. He's coming off a career year that I just don't see him repeating. He's a solid enough arm but he's an extreme flyball pitcher, doesn't pitch deep into games, and none of his pitches really stand out. I think if the Angels hold onto him this year he'll have an ERA north of 4

I have to agree with this. Also add the fact that he has multiple years of control. His value will drop once he becomes a 1 year rental.

As far as Skaggs, I'm glad he's having a positive approach. I think he is one of the key pieces of the 2016 team. If he can come out strong and pitch like a solid #3, he gives the team so many options in terms of being able to flip excess starters in trades at the deadline. CJ is the perfect example. I'd like to trade him now whether it be for a decent return or salary release, but his value is at its low RN. If he can pitch around his career average (Career 110 ERA+) and Skaggs exceeds, CJ can bring back a solid return come mid-season.

Personally, if it were me, I'd hang onto CJ and just release Weav. I think CJ still has a little something left in the tank and would be one of the Angels 5 best starters. It's only one year too, so this isn't a long term commitment by any means. Plus, he used to be lights-out in a relief role and our bullpen is shallow and unimpressive right now. If CJ can't handle it, move him to the pen. If he has a really good year we might get away with a prospect in a QO next year. So it's short-sighted to trade him so early.

I would also strongly consider Shoemaker aa d Santiago in bullpen roles.

I just don't see the point in trading a starter unless we're getting our starting 2B or LF in return.

My staff would be Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Wilson and Skaggs. I'd move Shoemaker into the pen in a middle relief role, which he can be pulled out of if necessary to start. I'd dangle Santiago to see if we can get the return we want and if not, he slides to the pen, where he's worked before ANC if we need a starter, he's the first man up.

This is not inside information by any means, but I'm told the strikeout pitchers with solid BB/9 rates of NY's past are on Eppler. He advised Cashman to pursue via trade starters that could generate early count swings and misses. I imagine he justified it with some stadium specific algorithm.

When I hear that, it makes me think he'll hold onto higher K pitchers like Santiago and Shoe and instead trade Heaney or Skaggs.

Would be quite stupid of them to trade Heaney/Skaggs over the likes of Shoemaker/Santiago. I just can't see that at all. Heaney and Skaggs are both younger and IMO better talents

If Eppler trades two lefties with terrific upside and are club controlled and cheap over trading Shoemaker (inconsistent and older) and Santiago (mediocre and expensive) than he should be fired on the spot. That would make absolutely no sense and I would be pretty pissed

Personally, if it were me, I'd hang onto CJ and just release Weav. I think CJ still has a little something left in the tank and would be one of the Angels 5 best starters. It's only one year too, so this isn't a long term commitment by any means. Plus, he used to be lights-out in a relief role and our bullpen is shallow and unimpressive right now. If CJ can't handle it, move him to the pen. If he has a really good year we might get away with a prospect in a QO next year. So it's short-sighted to trade him so early.

I would also strongly consider Shoemaker aa d Santiago in bullpen roles.

I just don't see the point in trading a starter unless we're getting our starting 2B or LF in return.

My staff would be Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Wilson and Skaggs. I'd move Shoemaker into the pen in a middle relief role, which he can be pulled out of if necessary to start. I'd dangle Santiago to see if we can get the return we want and if not, he slides to the pen, where he's worked before ANC if we need a starter, he's the first man up.

I think Richards, Heaney and Skaggs form our core 3 for the next few years.

I think next year, Weaver and CJ join that group to form our starting five (with Weaver starting opening day....just what Mike will do).

I also like the idea of Shoe moving to the pen, and used when Weaver pitches. 

I have said all along that Santiago will be moved, in my opinion, this is a case of selling at a somewhat higher value.

Personally, if it were me, I'd hang onto CJ and just release Weav.

I usually don't comment on dumb posts, but this is just one I can't pass up.  Weaver is owed $20 million and you'd just release him.  Brilliant.  Besides that, think about all he's meant to the franchise and you'd just release him?  You wouldn't even give him a shot to show what he has left after working on things in the off-season?  I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous thing I've read here.

People have been writing Weaver off his whole career.  When he came out of Long Beach State many thought he was over-rated and would never be more than a 3 or a 4.  They thought his mechanics were bad and that by throwing across his body he'd be injured a lot, etc., etc. 

I have a feeling he's going to prove some people wrong again.  Regardless, he deserves more than just being released.

Good grief.

I make it a habit of responding to stupidity True Grich, so please understand that's the exact reason I'm responding to you.

1. No one cares about your fan boy fantasies during roster construction.

2. The best player should play period.

3. The salary is paid regardless, so why allow him to hurt the team.

Just because you got so attached to Weaver during his prime, doesn't mean the end hasn't come. His ERA has ballooned to comical levels. His fastball has dipped down to your typical high school senior. Whether or not you or anyone likes it, Weav's career is coming to a close, and not a peaceful decline, more like a cliff to be toppled over.

Weaver is NOT as good as Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, Wilson, Shoemaker or Santiago any more. So why would you start him over someone MUCH better? It'd be a disservice to the ANGELS. This team still exists with or without Weav. Just like it still existed after Nolan Ryan and Chuvk Finley. Just like it existed after Wally left. It will still exist after Trout leaves.

Just because you have a hard take saying goodbye, doesn't mean the Angels should purposefully hurt themselves by starting him.

I make it a habit of responding to stupidity True Grich, so please understand that's the exact reason I'm responding to you.

Just because you got so attached to Weaver during his prime, doesn't mean the end hasn't come. His ERA has ballooned to comical levels. His fastball has dipped down to your typical high school senior. Whether or not you or anyone likes it, Weav's career is coming to a close, and not a peaceful decline, more like a cliff to be toppled over.

Weaver is NOT as good as Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, Wilson, Shoemaker or Santiago any more. So why would you start him over someone MUCH better? It'd be a disservice to the ANGELS. This team still exists with or without Weav. Just like it still existed after Nolan Ryan and Chuvk Finley. Just like it existed after Wally left. It will still exist after Trout leaves.

Just because you have a hard take saying goodbye, doesn't mean the Angels should purposefully hurt themselves by starting him.

Damn, that's a strong response Scotty. I don't have a dog in this fight, but Grich's post was appropriate (regardless of whether you agree with it). And frankly, I think he is right. It makes no sense whatsoever to release Weaver, and would be a terrible way of treating one of the most loyal players ever to wear the Angels uniform.

You probably could have said all that without being an asshole though

Also, in my opinion you are wrong. It's one more season. Why not just keep Weaver on the roster and then let him walk away on his own terms next year? It's not like we have amazing pitching depth or something

Edited by GrittyVeterans

There is no chance in hell they are releasing Weaver.  That would be a classless move and erode at the fans respect for the franchise.  

First of all, maybe he's been working to get some velo back.  He's entering his 33yo season.  He changed his mechanics a few years back to allow him to have a longer career but it cost him some velocity.  So maybe he's gonna go back to his older delivery now that he know there isn't much left in the tank.  

Regardless, even if he shows up to spring throwing 80mph, they are gonna treat him with dignity and respect because he deserves it.  He's still a leader and has a presence on this team.  

Another thing is that Weave is keenly aware that he sucked last year.  He knew he was tossing up puss and he fully admitted such after each bad start so if he can't get himself where he needs to be, he will acknowledge that he is hurting the team and accept a pen role or just work some sort of deal out with the team and go on the 60-day DL then retire at the end of the year.