• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zobrist to the Cubs. 4/56

Docwaukee

I lived in the Midwest until I was 30, my parents and relatives their whole lives. While I love California and have lived here ever since and would never go back, there are a lot of Midwesterners who hate California. How many times have I heard the expression "land of fruits and nuts", too many times. Many Midwestern people see California as too liiberal for their conservative tastes, they think it's over populated, poor air quality, and too materialistic.

Plus..

Midwestern corn-fed women put California girls to shame..

This isn't the 70's.

Beautiful and Real.

Every person I meet and my family in the midwest would love to move to SoCal but the cost of housing is the only hurdle.

after some sleep and further reflection, my thoughts are clear about this deal.  

we missed the boat big time.  It's not that we didn't get him, but that we were no where near it.  

I presume age was a factor and that's fine, but young doesn't always mean good and old bad.  

I think the goal for this team is pretty clear, but I am a little wary about the path we are taking to get there. 

Considering that basically no AL or West Coast teams were ever really connected to him (save for the Giants very briefly and the Dodgers who areconnected to everyone since they'll overpay) I think he had personal reasons that prohibited the Angels from every really pursuing. 

I'm fine with it - Zobrist has been an excellent player but at his age he could drop off a cliff quickly, and even if he is worth it the first year or two, the Angels don't need to be paying $16-18m for a 37 year old mid-infielder. He could be putting up Giavotella stats by then. 

I'd rather the Angels gamble a bit on someone younger with less money and keep their payroll flexible in two or three seasons when we really need it to be for Richards, Calhoun, Heaney, Skaggs, the strong '18 class, and retaining Simmons (if desired) and Simmons. \

I'm starting to hope Zobrist falls apart in 2016 just so he's not talked about here forever.

Every person I meet and my family in the midwest would love to move to SoCal but the cost of housing is the only hurdle.

Most of the "successful" and retired people I know from the Midwest spend the winters elsewhere. Having two homes is less expensive than having one home in Socal.

It isn't just the housing, the automobile-based lifestyle is expensive too.

And the simple density of humanity is extremely stressful..it is easy to not realize that part of life in Socal until you get out.

If it's any consolation, Zobrist is at the age when offensive production can go off the cliff without any warning. A four-year deal for a player that age is far too long of a contract.

Exactly, and I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who purchases another shit contract on an aged player. I like the idea of not relying on older players to keep up the good work.

Did you cut and paste this from the Albert/Josh threads.

Touche, I was a fan of the Pujols deal, but not the Hamilton one. Age related decline is something you have to be comfortable with when you enter the FA market. Pujols' has had problems far beyond what we expected that I personally think are as much mental as physical. Hamilton represented a whole different kind of risk, that I would not have been comfortable with. I would have been ok with signing him if we were able to get him far below 'market rate' - in fact that was my biggest criticism of the deal, that we paid market rate for him as if there was no other issue. I also think that is why Moreno took it all so personally when Hamilton let everyone down. 

Eppler: "Hey Zobe, would you be willing to accept a 1 year deal worth just 5 million so we can stay well under the tax threshold but still acquire your services?"

Zobrist: "This is a joke, right?"

Eppler: "No. Hello?"

*sounds of children playing outside. Eppler looks on, wanting.*

Edited by tdawg87