• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariners sign Chris Iannetta

Mark68

AW Hate Scale:

Scioscia

Albert

Hamilton

Iannetta

Arte

Disarcina

Salas (unless you are IP, in which case he's number 1)

*this list only include Angel players, coaches,owners, it does not include guys like:

AJ

Kinsler

Verlander

Vicente Padilla

Odor (quickly climbing the ranks)

ah , no need to dis-like Iannetta -- he was with us for what? three years?

he played well his first year with us -- and I thought was a better defensive catcher than I had thought would be the case.

last year , however, Iannetta started very slowly and didn't seem to get much better -- his contribution at the plate was de minimus and his defensive plays behind the plate fell off sharply.

good luck to Iannetta as he moves on.........I don;'t dis-like the guy but I'm okay with the Halos letting him go.

Angels fans developed a weird hatred for Iannetta and I never understood it, especially considering his predecessor was Jeff freaking Mathis. 

In his time with the Angels, he had a .342 OBP and 108 wRC+, both well above average numbers for a catcher. Defensively, he ranged between 25-32% on runners thrown out and he got better each year in that regard(25% in 2012, 26% in 2013, 27% in 2014, 32% in 2015). That's right around the league average mark for CS%. And in his worst offensive year with the Angels in 2015, he was the game's 5th best pitch framer(14.4 RAA, approximately worth 1.44 WAR). He was worth 6.8 WAR in 394 games with the Angels. 

The guy wasn't a star or even a good player but he was pretty much a league average all around catcher in his time with the Angels. 

I thought ci would land a spring invite to prove himself. 4 million is crazy.

A spring invite? Are you guys for real?

Dude had a 123 OPS+ in 2014. His OBP was .373.

He had a DOWN YEAR. Just like he did in 2010. 4 mil across 1 year in this day in age is an absolute bargain.

But hey, he had one bad year. He is a piece of garbage and should be lucky to even get a spring invite.

A spring invite? Are you guys for real?

Dude had a 123 OPS+ in 2014. His OBP was .373.

He had a DOWN YEAR. Just like he did in 2010. 4 mil across 1 year in this day in age is an absolute bargain.

But hey, he had one bad year. He is a piece of garbage and should be lucky to even get a spring invite.

Thank God somebody said it. The level of the stupidity in this thread has been astounding...and it takes a pretty damn high level of it to be astounded by stupidity on a message board.  Iannetta is a very, very strong bounce-back candidate and if he does that this contract will be an absolute steal. If he doesn't bounce back, they have a perfectly adequate backup or even platoon catcher at a far from exorbitant price.

One year at $4 million could end up being a steal for the Mariners. Iannetta will most surely bounceback from last year's low, which as I mentioned included a .225 BABIP. His career BABIP is .277, so last year was obviously a case of really bad luck.

Hate on, AW, hate on.

Ok so a majority of people on here think Iannetta is awful, then a few people have an opposing view, then the someone from the vocal majority gets upset that there is an opposing view. Welcome to AW!

Thanks for the clarification.  I enjoy the discourse, the banter and the humor but have little patience for some of the vitriol that appears.

Carry on.

Overall I thought Iannetta was solid for us, a lot better than Mathis.  Obviously 2015 was a disappointment.  Having 2 holes in the lineup of Joyce and Iannetta hurt us early on.

It was interesting when Scioscia who almost always favors veterans over younger players, chose to play Perez more than Iannetta down the stretch.

Overall I thought Iannetta was solid for us, a lot better than Mathis.  Obviously 2015 was a disappointment.  Having 2 holes in the lineup of Joyce and Iannetta hurt us early on.

It was interesting when Scioscia who almost always favors veterans over younger players, chose to play Perez more than Iannetta down the stretch.

I wasn't too surprised that Perez was getting the majority of reps behind the plate. Perez is the future. He needs to show what he can do, and he was playing a lot better than Iannetta at the time. I was a little surprised to see CI's playing time drop to almost 0 right about the time Dipoto quit. I have questioned Sciascia's catcher management ever since Benjie Molina left.

Iannetta was a very solid catcher for the Angels...he was not good defensively and the stats and eye test back that up...

Wha?

And no shit he was better than Mathis. A pack of baseball cards and some bubble gum would have been better than him.

But Iannetta didn't know how to frame either. Was not a fan of his catching, his bat waz OK, and He was an OK player. But I'm glad he's out of our hair.

If Ianetta had played to his 2013-14 level last season it would have probably had a 3-4 game swing in wins for the Angels. His production always lengthened (to use Scioscia's words) the lineup, getting the team around the order more often rather than fewer at bats for the moto. A player doesn't even have to be a run producer to help produce runs, they just can't be a constant source of outs that prevent better hitters from seeing the plate.

Dipoto dumpster dived and came up with a known glove for a backup. Maybe Ianetta rebounds with the bat and can provide them with at least a guy with plate patience. If he does it's a very good pickup, if he doesn't it provides a veteran backup at what most cost. He can be that good clubhouse guy.

I wasn't too surprised that Perez was getting the majority of reps behind the plate. Perez is the future. He needs to show what he can do, and he was playing a lot better than Iannetta at the time. I was a little surprised to see CI's playing time drop to almost 0 right about the time Dipoto quit. I have questioned Sciascia's catcher management ever since Benjie Molina left.

You know it's not hard to look up a player's game logs. He played in 40 out of a possible 82 games after Dipoto left.

then you really don't understand the catching position in mlb

I was thinking that thought about you. CI has ALWAYS been a terrible crap catcher. His only silver lining was his ability to work a walk and decent gap/occasional homerun power. He was as lost last year as I have ever seen a player. 

4 million is pretty steep for a horrible defensive catcher that you hope bounces back from the lowest depths of hades. 

I was thinking that thought about you. CI has ALWAYS been a terrible crap catcher. His only silver lining was his ability to work a walk and decent gap/occasional homerun power. He was as lost last year as I have ever seen a player. 

4 million is pretty steep for a horrible defensive catcher that you hope bounces back from the lowest depths of hades. 

News flash: Getting on base is important, especially when it comes from a position where offense is scarce. 4 million dollars on a 1 year deal really isn't much at all now.