• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Second Base Options

Alright guys, what are some possible legitimate 2B options in the trade market?

This is a broad list based on guys who I think could have a strong impact on the lineup:

Ian Kinsler 
Brock Holt
Yunel Escobar
Martin Prado
Neil Walker
Brandon Phillips
Enrique Hernandez
Kelby Tomlinson

Just wondering, who from that list can we actually acquire or would be the best fit? The last two are really interesting options but I don't know if we could acquire them in any way. Tomlinson in particular makes sense with him being blocked by Crawford and Panik. 

From the list though, I personally would really like Holt or Kinsler (our mid infield would be so sick). Any type of package we can make for them? We've obviously talked about Prado and Walker with Santiago centering a deal for them. Escobar is also intriguing, not really for his glove, but that OBP would shine in front of Trout. Phillips also wouldn't be a bad option, so long as we don't have to eat his entire salary.

I don't want to turn this into another OF thread, but I've been opening up to the idea of getting Upton instead of Heyward if we could pick up a strong presence for 2nd base. Maybe a Kinsler, Escobar, or Phillips. This gives us the 1-2 hole guy that Heyward would be, plus the big bat that would deepen the lineup.

Something like:

1. Kinsler
2. Calhoun
3. Trout
4. Upton
5. Pujols
6. Cron
7. Perez
8. Simmons
9. Cowart/Kubitza

Or

1. Heyward
2. Holt/Walker
3. Trout
4. Pujols
5. Calhoun
6. Cron
7. Perez
8. Simmons
9. Cowart/ Kubitza

There are too many actual pressing needs to be obsessing about 2nd base. The Angels actually have a warm body with MLB experience at a minimum salary in that position while they have nothing in left field or third base. So in effect you are worrying about if you're wearing matching socks while on the emergency room table.

There are too many actual pressing needs to be obsessing about 2nd base. The Angels actually have a warm body with MLB experience at a minimum salary in that position while they have nothing in left field or third base. So in effect you are worrying about if you're wearing matching socks while on the emergency room table.

That's reasonable. Just looking at areas of potential growth though.

Except Gio isn't very good.

Would you guys be against trading CJ Wilson and 10 mil of his salary for Kelby Tomlinson + Strictland? We get a 25 year old 2ndbasemen controlled long term for league minimum, plus a young, stud reliever - with a power arm at that. I don't know if the Giants do this, but it has to sound appealing to get CJ's caliber for 10 million. They don't have much room for Tomlinson either and the sting of losing Strickland will fade when they get the draft pick that will be attatched to Wilson next off-season. This gives them a chance to get both Wilson at a cheap price, plus a top arm (Greinke, Price, Cueto, etc.).

Edited by marcosantinia12

That's reasonable. Just looking at areas of potential growth though.

And you've been doing a good job breaking down positions and offering options in multiple threads, including this one. I just think 2nd base is covered well enough that the focus has to be on critical vacancies.

However the future of 2nd base is up to Giavotella, he doesn't survive another season with the kind of poor fielding he exhibited. We can probably blame a little on the eye problem but he does need to polish up his footwork, glove work, situational positioning, etc. This is his sink or swim year.

My take is the organization looks to him manning the position for another season or two while Baldoquin reaches his potential and can slide into the role just as Giavotella starts to cost money through arbitration.

Would you guys be against trading CJ Wilson and 10 mil of his salary for Kelby Tomlinson + Strictland? We get a 25 year old 2ndbasemen controlled long term for league minimum, plus a young, stud reliever - with a power arm at that. I don't know if the Giants do this, but it has to sound appealing to get CJ's caliber for 10 million. They don't have much room for Tomlinson either and the sting of losing Strickland will fade when they get the draft pick that will be attatched to Wilson next off-season. This gives them a chance to get both Wilson at a cheap price, plus a top arm (Greinke, Price, Cueto, etc.).

Nah we need someone more experienced

Kinsler would be a great addition. Wonder if Santiago could be a primary piece in a trade. Santiago being an established arm and much cheaper than Kinsler could have some appeal to the Tigers.

Kinsler's my top choice at second. Perez, Simmons, Kinsler, and Trout up the middle, my goodness. Re-sign Freese and sign Span, Aoki, or one of the Korean bats?

I would disagree with the sentiment that we have a solid option as of right now.  

It was amazing how poor Gia is defensively.

It was amazing how poor Featherston was offensively.  

Featherston is now a minor leaguer again as he should be.  

Gia isn't likely to start playing good defense out of thin air.  I am skeptical as to how much progress Griffin can make with him.  He was adequate offensively at best and his one skill (clutch hitting) isn't likely repeatable.   It's hard to say that 2b is any more filled than 3b in my opinion.  

2b doesn't take priority over LF or 3b.  They should all be assessed in parallel and one affects the other.  Clearly, we need an actual player for LF so something has to be done.  But I would take the best opportunity available to fill one of those three position and then the other two will fall into place. 

It's all about maximizing your potential upgrade at the lowest cost.  

We had 0.3 WAR from 2b last year.  26th in the league.  1.1 of which came from Gia in 500 plate appearances.

1.8 WAR from 3b.  21st.  2.2 from Freese

-1.4 WAR from LF.  28th.  Cowgill and Robertson combined for 0.7 WAR in 155 PA.  

It's hard for me to argue that any one of those should be filled over any other.  

LF will probably have the most options available.  From a 1yr stop gap platoon all the way to Heyward and everything in between.  

We have few realistic options at 3b.  Cowart/Kubitza with possible addition of a platoon partner like Uribe or resign David Freese.  Could we trade for a young guy with a little higher floor than either of the two rookies?  Maybe, but it's gonna be tough to get that from our pitching depth.  

2b has more flexibility.  Zobrist or Cabrera as free agents would be substantial upgrades and wouldn't cost a pick.  Murphy or Kendrick would be upgrades but cost a pick.  So they are likely out.  Utley or Stephen Drew could be inexpensive platoon options if they decided to go with Gia.  

I think it starts with determining your outlay for LF.  That will determine what you do elsewhere.