• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Donaldson Wins AL MVP

mulwin444

Making the playoffs is the only thing that matters to the voters...

...unless you play in the NL, then you can be on a team that implodes down the stretch and still win unanimously.

I disagree.

If Donaldson hit .270/33Hr/100 RBI Trout would have won.

If Trout hit .310/45HR/110+ RBI, Trout would have won.

In reality, Trout hit .299/41/90 and Donaldson .297/41/123

The stats are comparable enough and the fact that Donaldson was the star a more exciting team, took them to the playoffs (with or without his team's help) and was an anchor in the lineup put him over the top. I honestly value analytics more than the typical avg,hr,rbi line but what I mentioned still puts Donaldson above Trout in the "most valuable" department.

The NL had the top 3 MVP candidates on non play-off teams simply because no players on play-off teams were remotely close to being better. You can make a case for Rizzo/Cespedes but they were not on the level of Harper nontheless.

Edited by marcosantinia12

The outrage is so dumb. Did Trout have another great year, yes. Without him would the Angels be unwatchable yes. Would he have won it with better players around him, maybe. Would he have won it if he didn't hit .218 with 1 home run, 7 RBI in the month of August? Almost certainly yes. If this was Best Player Award he would have just won it for the fourth time. Sorry outragers this award is subjectivve, so he won't win every year.

people here always want to give the mvp to the guy who had the best stats. that's not what the award is for. the aaron award recognizes the player who had the best year statistically. too many people here forget that, and then act like someone stole their puppy and kicked a couple of nuns by not voting for trout.

I agree that they are flawed, but that's not to say that they're completely useless. What differentiates them from traditional stats? If anything, the metrics take more factors into account that some of the more basic stats don't. But I agree with you, they don't tell the whole story.

Now, I find it interesting that you mention your eye test. Did you watch every Donaldson/Trout ggame? I think it's safe to say you've watched a lot more Trout base running and defensive gems and are biased in that front- not necessarily on purpose but naturally. We can go back and forth between your eye test vs mine or others... But it doesn't make either of us more correct, after all the eye test is based on personal opinion. But the numbers, although not perfect, favor Donaldson.

No one has.

Defensive and base running stats are almost useless to me. As for clutch, there are stats that show Donaldson not being the winner. Both played GG level D at premium positions. Historically, 3B tends to have significantly more sluggers than in CF yet Trout out-slugged Donaldson by a wide margin under more difficult circumstances.

In the end Trout played with more pressure and in pitcher parks. And he ended with better offensive numbers. 

I'm open to changing my view but no one has explained why a specific stat that they are using should be considered. We disagree and that's fine.

Edited by CF8

I think more than anything it's the "anyone but Trout" factor. If someone is close to Trout they will get the award, and I honestly agree with it. It would be boring if there were just 15 straight Manning, Lebron, Trout MVPs.

If Trout was wearing Yankees pinstripes he would get the MV-JEET Award every year and a #27 headstone in Monument Park when he retires.

Just a quick note in terms of Trout's clutch-ness last season:

2 outs, RISP:     .927 OPS

Late and Close: .928 OPS

Tie Game:         .939 OPS

Within 1 run:      .997 OPS

Within 2 runs:   1.017 OPS

Within 3 runs:   1.012 OPS

Within 4 runs:     .990 OPS

Ahead:              1.014 OPS

Behind:             1.024 OPS

High Leverage: 1.125 OPS

If Trout's team win's another game and the Angels just make the 1-game Wild Card playoff, he wins the MVP. 

2 outs, RISP: .927 OPS

Tie Game: .939 OPS

Within 1 run: .997 OPS

Within 2 runs: 1.017 OPS

Within 3 runs: 1.012 OPS

Within 4 runs: .990 OPS

Ahead: 1.014 OPS

Behind: 1.024 OPS

If Trout's team win's another game and the Angels just make the 1-game Wild Card playoff, he wins the MVP.

If Trout's teammates would've set the table with the same amount of at bats with RISP as Donaldson's team did we wouldn't be talking about a wild card game. We would've been repeat AL West Champions. Donaldson had 136 at bats w/RISP and Trout only had 88 at bats w/RISP.

We can't blame the voters for the lack of production surrounding our MVP.

Edited by CALZONE

2 outs, RISP:     .927 OPS

Tie Game:         .939 OPS

Within 1 run:      .997 OPS

Within 2 runs:   1.017 OPS

Within 3 runs:   1.012 OPS

Within 4 runs:     .990 OPS

Ahead:              1.014 OPS

Behind:             1.024 OPS

If Trout's team win's another game and the Angels just make the 1-game Wild Card playoff, he wins the MVP. 

Very interesting stats.

I went by these numbers resented by Fangraphs:

Donaldson

Clutch : -.06

Win Probability :6.28

Trout

Clutch : -0.38

Win Probability : 6.19

I'll admit though, I am not entirely sure aware of how these values are fully calculated and what exactly they take into account. I'm sure they take into account the situational stats that you provided, although I don't know how much they weight each category. Nonetheless, hard to argue could have done better. Tout was the best player in baseball, unfortunately his efforts didn't play out in the spotlight of a wining team. 

The NL had the top 3 MVP candidates on non play-off teams simply because no players on play-off teams were remotely close to being better. You can make a case for Rizzo/Cespedes but they were not on the level of Harper nontheless.

I thought Arrieta and Kershaw were both MVP-caliber players on playoff teams, but it seems the voters only want to vote for a pitcher in years where there are no standout position players. 

Obviously Harper was better than both of them, but it just seems like they used the exact opposite of the logic that's been hurting Trout these last four years. 

I have no problem with Donaldson winning. He had a great year and does provide a lot both offensively and defensively. Obviously, many of the writers still weigh the "playoff factor" (same as 2014).

Trout's bad month (which coincided with the horrible month the Angels had...correlation does not necessarily equal causation, but you can draw your own conclusions) sank his chances.

Still, in his four full years, Trout's finished second, second, first, second. That's consistency.

Edited by Mark68

Agreed. I didn't realize how bad his SB to CS ratio was this year until I saw the stats.

same, noticed it towards the end of the year.

Has a he lost a step in speed due to bulk? Maybe. But abreu wasnt super fast...is he going on bad pitches now?

Seemed like before he was a lock to snag every base he tried for

• 2 weeks later...