• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto's nine points of offense

Hollyw00d

Or we can go with what we know about Jerry. He was mostly good at making trades for pitchers. He did a good job of acquiring Frieri, who the first year was very good. Great job getting Street. He seemed to treat offense as a year to year type of thing. 2014 great offense, 2015 was poor. I don't really blame Dipoto for the poor offense this year, but I certainly blame him more than I would blame Sosh for this offense. My real blame for the offense this year lies with the players.

Kinda cool to see dipoto speak candidly about his philosophies now that he's out of catorce's shadow

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jerry-dipotos-nine-points-of-offense/

To be fair Dipoto shared a lot with the fans and AW.com while he was in Anaheim it had nothing to do with Scioscia. Saltzer had a nice interview with him where he shared his views on creating a moving window of contention and other details.

He chose the offense that was on the field last season. His philosophy never found its way to the field of play through the draft, free agent acquisitions or trades.

Also to be fair there was at least one or more members of the coaching staff that were highly resistant to his philosophy ever seeing the light of day on the field. Also nearly 40% of team salary was tied up in Pujols and Hamilton, who were by many accounts, not players that he advocated for in the first place (although I'm sure he shares some blame in that mess).

Kinda cool to see dipoto speak candidly about his philosophies now that he's out of catorce's shadow

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jerry-dipotos-nine-points-of-offense/

Only problem is, the writer is guessing on what his philosophies might be.  But it is interesting in the direction that it was probably going.  

While he has 9 points of offense.  And it seems like one of those points is a productive out.  I'm sure the over 8 is a sub product of a much more complicated formula, just for that one point.  For instance, a swing at the first pitch, resulting in a hit is probably more weighted than a 8 pitch out.  But an out on a first pitch is probably weighted a lot worse than an 8 pitch out.  

The types of statistical information they have access to is probably pretty staggering, compared to the info that an ordinary fan has access to.  

I like Dipoto but there were times where he seemed like he might have been in a bit over his head as a GM or a little too smart for his own good. I did at times fear he was a bit too dismissive of things that weren't as easy to quantify. His teams have been marked by under achieving pitching and poor defense, but he has also managed to make some really great trades that will benefit the team in the long run. 

I have definitely been 'team Jerry' but so far I like the direction Eppler seems headed in... of course that could change very quickly.

I like Dipoto but there were times where he seemed like he might have been in a bit over his head as a GM or a little too smart for his own good. I did at times fear he was a bit too dismissive of things that weren't as easy to quantify. His teams have been marked by under achieving pitching and poor defense, but he has also managed to make some really great trades that will benefit the team in the long run. 

I have definitely been 'team Jerry' but so far I like the direction Eppler seems headed in... of course that could change very quickly.

Agree with the comments about Dipoto.  

Interestingly, we give 'old school' guys flack for not at least considering all the information available to them.  On the same front, I think it's dismissive to do the same from a scouting standpoint.  To not at least consider what your eyes tell you may put you in a situation to miss things as well.  I have to wonder if Dipoto was also reluctant to consider Scioscia's point of view because it wasn't on a spreadsheet. 

I am as much of a numbers guy as anyone, but I think it's important to consider all aspects of the game.  Make an observation.  Try to prove or disprove it with stats.  If you can't either way then the observation shouldn't just be discarded.  

While I agree with the statement that it's admirable to be trying to mine new ground in offensive values, the chart that shows how little those measures correlate to win probability makes this looks like a strange choice.

That is kinda the point though.  

You are looking for things that are undervalued.  pitches per pa may not be part of the normal algorithm to determine player value so the thought was to try to find even the most marginal things that could add value to a player that you are essentially getting at a significant discount.  

Agree with the comments about Dipoto.

Interestingly, we give 'old school' guys flack for not at least considering all the information available to them. On the same front, I think it's dismissive to do the same from a scouting standpoint. To not at least consider what your eyes tell you may put you in a situation to miss things as well. I have to wonder if Dipoto was also reluctant to consider Scioscia's point of view because it wasn't on a spreadsheet.

I am as much of a numbers guy as anyone, but I think it's important to consider all aspects of the game. Make an observation. Try to prove or disprove it with stats. If you can't either way then the observation shouldn't just be discarded.

Inside Pitch and I had a private e-mail discussion about Dipoto sometime back and one of the things we discussed what we both felt was Dipoto's risk assessment capabilities. For instance relying to heavily on Ryan Madson's recovery from TMJ surgery in combination with Blanton, Hanson (God rest his soul), and other decisions that contributed to that unsuccessful season.

Perhaps it is not so much his risk assessment but his confidence level too. One thing that I think he does do well is trying to identify improvements and execute towards implementing them whether they are right, wrong, or indifferent.

we need an entire outfield, yeah

marte is unproven, but could end up okay. that's a big could. 

and no, this is not a win now move, thank goodness.. martin is a cheap defensive asset with 3 more seasons before he hits free agency.  good for the short term, and good for trading in a year or two when the team is in a better position to acquire a CF with more than just a glove.

Is he going to be cheap?   Martin made 4.75 Mil last year, unless there is a different guideline for Cuban players signed as international FA's (post age 23), he stands to make at least 80% of that 4.75 mil next season.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Martin needed a change of scenery.  Good range, good arm.  His talents should play well at Safeco.  He just needs to be convinced he's not Babe Ruth.

Remember, too, the best stretch of his career occurred under Bogar who showed some confidence in him.  I imagine Bogar pushed hard for this deal.  

Anthony Bass is extremely average but was kind of an unsung hero for the Rangers this past season.  Ate up a lot of middle innings that the likes of Wandy Rodriguez and Ross Detweiler couldn't back in May and June.  Once the rotation stabilized there wasn't much use for him.