• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yale SJWs screaming at Professor

NrM

Not surprising you subscribe completely to.that crackpot "critical thinking is the devil" bullshit

I see what happened. Critical theory isn't the same as critical thinking. 

From Wiki:

Critical theory is a school of thought that stresses the reflective assessments and critique of society and culture by applying knowledge from the social sciences and the humanities. As a term, critical theory has two meanings with different origins and histories: the first originated in sociology and the second originated in literary criticism, whereby it is used and applied as an umbrella termthat can describe a theory founded upon critique; thus, the theorist Max Horkheimer described a theory as critical insofar as it seeks "to liberate human beings from the circumstances that enslave them."[1]

In sociology and political philosophy, the term critical theory describes the neo-Marxist philosophy of the Frankfurt School, which was developed in Germany in the 1930s. Frankfurt theorists drew on the critical methods of Karl Marx andSigmund Freud. Critical theory maintains that ideology is the principal obstacle to human liberation.[2] Critical theory was established as a school of thought primarily by five Frankfurt School theoreticians: Herbert MarcuseTheodor AdornoMax HorkheimerWalter Benjamin, and Erich Fromm. Modern critical theory has additionally been influenced by György Lukács and Antonio Gramsci, as well as the second generation Frankfurt School scholars, notably Jürgen Habermas. In Habermas's work, critical theory transcended its theoretical roots in German idealism, and progressed closer to American pragmatism. Concern for social "base and superstructure" is one of the remaining Marxist philosophical concepts in much of the contemporary critical theory.[3]

Huh? Own what? Your caricature of Marxist leftism doesn't fit my ideology. But I also don't see things in black and white.

It's not a caricature. It's completely accurate. 

I'm not, of course, talking about every individual leftist. But, it's possible to say broad things like, "Evangelical Christians who attend church tend to think Homosexuality is a sin and base that belief on the Bible" without having to mention every individual Christian. 

HOWEVER, I'm not talking about your individual belief. I'm talking about the beliefs and assumptions of the movement, which are pretty uniform. 

Edited by Juan Savage

i wonder how SJW feel about thanksgiving, pilgrims, indians, and football games.

and i'm guessing black friday (what an insulting term!!) is the opposite of a holiday for them.

So here's the thing. As annoying as SJWs are, there are reasons they're upset - and some of them are good reasons. For instance, I think there's a valid debate to be had over the name "Washington Redskins." Can you imagine a team called the "Baltimore Blackskins?" The word redskin has a historically negative, racist connotation. Is the historicity of the football team name more important than some degree of cultural sensitivity?

The point being, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think objecting to a mascot is fine. I would object to some things. I think the main issue is that what they're fighting for isn't cut and dried issues like a name, but things that are unnameable and  unsolvable. It's like protesting over people not being nice enough. Well, what should we do? Should we make people smile 2 times per minute? Should we have a niceness board? Fire administrators who did nothing to make people nicer? Have five niceness sub-deans? Can't people claim that the lack of niceness makes them feel uncomfortable? 

This only makes sense if you look at the ideology of the people protesting. 

You don't see the difference? Think about it, Geoff.

There's only a difference because they say there is, at this moment. I can EASILY see a movement start to rename OK and all the liberals here will say that it's the obvious right thing to do.

How many stupid things are going on right now that nobody thought possible a few years ago.

Do people think that those supporting the team name as is hate Indians? 

I don't think so. My guess is that it is viewed as culturally insensitive and ignorant. Ignorance doesn't necessarily mean hating, but it does mean lack of awareness.

Again, the word "redskin" has a historically pejorative connotation. It isn't quite as bad as the "n-word" but it is probably worse than negro. And imagine if we had the Baltimore Negroes...(I don't know why I keep picking on Baltimore...maybe because of its proximity to Washington).

By the way, I'm not taking a stand one way or another, just pointing out that there's a conversation worth having and that we shouldn't write off all social justice issues just because of the more annoying and immature SJWs that scream loudest.

My guess is that if there were no Indian names, Indians would complain about the lack of Indian names. This is all about perception. Because it focused on that, the ESPN article was actually pretty good. If nobody thinks the names are racist, which I think nobody did until it became a thing, nobody would care. Did any of you think about it denigrating Indians as you were growing up? 

Also, who's complaining? Is it the same people who are protesting the Halloween costumes? Yes. Why? Complaint is their Oxygen. If Monster Inc was about SJWs, instead of screams or laughter, the society would be run on bitching about stupid things. It's also about SJWs creating sides in which their smelly asses are the virtuous. 

Edited by Juan Savage