• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So did Vernon Wells just hate the Angels?

If I'm Jerry Dipoto I'm wondering WTF is wrong with this coaching staff and clubhouse that players frequently do better once they leave the team? Napoli, Wells, Santana especially so, but even Vlad to some extent. Dan Haren and Chone Figgins didn't, of course, so maybe this isn't true across the board. But you do have to wonder about Wells. I think it also points to just how important psychology is to the game.

That said, he'll come back down to earth. I see him more as a .270, 30 HR hitter, not a .315, 35 HR type. He did the latter once or twice in his career but they were exceptions. When the Angels traded for him I hated it but thought he'd at least manage .270, 25-30 HR and only be another overpaid borderline star. Even though it was a bad trade at the time, no one could have foreseen how he played the last two years.

I really think the contract got in his head.  When you get traded for, paying the full $21 million salary, expectations are sky high.  The entire burden is on you.

Now that you get traded again, while you still make the $21 million, the team that has you is really only paying what, $5 million of it?  Expectations are a lot lower, and you can relax more.  It also helps when you are surrounded by aging former superstars also.  Instead of a bunch of young guys that you are trying to mentor.  He is probably focusing more on himself, than everyone focusing on him.  

^Exactly

His spring training was good.....thats how we got him traded.....so be thakful he is doing good or we would be stuck with Wells coming in every few games.

This is a great way to look at it.

I've been telling people that us Angel fans call what he's doing right now is "Wellsying." Doing well when it doesn't matter and being nowhere to be found when they'll need him most.

IF I remember correctly, when asked early on in ST, who he was most surprised by/who looked good, Sosh immediately responded with "Vernon". Dude is a great charitable guy, hung out with Trouty to show him some ropes AND is responsible for hooking me up with tickets to take my son to his first baseball game...the same ST game Albert Pujols made his Angels debut in - I'll never be mad at Vernon (albeit he made it really easy to not cheer for him when he was here)