• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

3B/SS/2B Javier Baez for LHP Sean Newcomb

Second Base

Just getting those hot stove juices flowing, is this a deal you'd make?  .

Furthermore, do you believe the Cubs would make that trade?  With Castro, Bryant and Russell, it really doesn't seem like they have room for Baez in the future, yet he's one of the best prospects in the game.  Would it take more than one of the best LHP prospects?

Just a guess on my part (I'd like to see your input), but I'd pull the trigger on that.  While the Angels don't have much in the way of top of the rotation type of pitching prospects, they do have a ridiculous amount of depth, which can cover some things up.  I'm confident Kubitza can handle 3B, and I really think Baez would be a game-changer at 2B and really help the offense.  I'd be curious to see where they bat him.  OBP isn't high enough to warrant leadoff, and he has too much power not to hit 2-5.  

Having said that, I kind of feel like the Cubs would require more for him.  Like Newcomb, plus Tropeano.  

Where is all this ridiculous pitching depth you're talking about? The starting rotation was relatively healthy all year, and they were still below average. Just because the angels have a lot of arms, doesn't mean they're any good.

Pitching is just as much of a weakness as the third and second base

That's a head scratcher

I'd rather have the good young position player than the every fifth day pitcher.  I'd say yes to the aformentioned deal.  Or at least I'd investigate it thoroughly. 

The way this pitching staff is shaping up, I'd be almost certain that an "ace" is on the list for this offseason.  It depends on Weaver and Wilson really.  If they can dump some salary, the Angels can shop in those aisles.  That makes a guy like Newcomb tradeable.  Please don't get me wrong, this kid has a real good chance to be awesome, so it would take a REALLY good player to make sense.

Where is all this ridiculous pitching depth you're talking about? The starting rotation was relatively healthy all year, and they were still below average. Just because the angels have a lot of arms, doesn't mean they're any good.

Pitching is just as much of a weakness as the third and second base

1. Richards 2. Heaney 3. Tropeano 4. Skaggs 5. Shoemaker 6. Weaver 7. Wilson 8. Santiago 9. Nate Smith (AAA) 10. Newcomb (AA), 11. Ellis (AA) 12. McGowin (AA), 13. Alcantara (A+), 14. Gatto (A), 15. Long (A/A+).  

Now I know counting that high may be difficult for some, so I'd highly encourage you to trust my judgement, that's a lot of starting pitchers. 

The Angels could trade Shoemaker and Santiago, let Weav and Wilson walk after next year, suffer a season ending injury to another SP and they'd still have a roster crunch.  And if you've been paying attention to the prospect updates, Smith is debatably good, Newcomb and Ellis are, Skaggs should only get better.  So there definitely is some quality on the way. 

1. Richards 2. Heaney 3. Tropeano 4. Skaggs 5. Shoemaker 6. Weaver 7. Wilson 8. Santiago 9. Nate Smith (AAA) 10. Newcomb (AA), 11. Ellis (AA) 12. McGowin (AA), 13. Alcantara (A+), 14. Gatto (A), 15. Long (A/A+).

Now I know counting that high may be difficult for some, so I'd highly encourage you to trust my judgement, that's a lot of starting pitchers.

The Angels could trade Shoemaker and Santiago, let Weav and Wilson walk after next year, suffer a season ending injury to another SP and they'd still have a roster crunch. And if you've been paying attention to the prospect updates, Smith is debatably good, Newcomb and Ellis are, Skaggs should only get better. So there definitely is some quality on the way.

This team is trying to win now, and yet there's quality "on the way"?

I dont want to question your incredible judgement, but that makes zero sense. If these guys were really that quality, the angels would already be using them.

15 mediocre arms are still mediocre. Just because there's a lot of them doesn't mean they'll somehow make the mlb pitching staff better.

I'm sure you still think shoemaker is a quality mid rotation option

This trade is not one I would want the team to make, but it's not a terrible suggestion. AW, and sports forums in general, just don't get the whole "talent for talent" thing. We all want to get Nolan Arenado for Fernando Salas and cash, but that just isn't going to happen.

Baez is young and has upside up the ass, and certainly more upside than any player currently in the Angels' system for the positions he plays. But would he immediately help the team out significantly? Probably not.

As for giving up Newcomb, I don't support it unless it's for a young talent that will make an immediate impact on the offense. This team has pitching depth to be sure, but most of it is marginal talent at best. Newcomb is the only one of the bunch who could potentially be a front line starter, something this team does not currently have.

I'd love to have Baez though. He'd solve a handful of problems. But not at the cost of Newcomb. Any other prospect for him though.

This trade is not one I would want the team to make, but it's not a terrible suggestion. AW, and sports forums in general, just don't get the whole "talent for talent" thing. We all want to get Nolan Arenado for Fernando Salas and cash, but that just isn't going to happen.

Baez is young and has upside up the ass, and certainly more upside than any player currently in the Angels' system for the positions he plays. But would he immediately help the team out significantly? Probably not.

As for giving up Newcomb, I don't support it unless it's for a young talent that will make an immediate impact on the offense. This team has pitching depth to be sure, but most of it is marginal talent at best. Newcomb is the only one of the bunch who could potentially be a front line starter, something this team does not currently have.

I'd love to have Baez though. He'd solve a handful of problems. But not at the cost of Newcomb. Any other prospect for him though.

In your opinion, what do you think a full season from Baez next year would look like?  I could see 20 HR's, a decent average, a handful of stolen bases and solid defense.  Then again, if you'd had asked me the same question regarding Jorge Soler a year ago, I'd have said the same and more.  

The Angels could trade Shoemaker and Santiago, let Weav and Wilson walk after next year, suffer a season ending injury to another SP and they'd still have a roster crunch.  And if you've been paying attention to the prospect updates, Smith is debatably good, Newcomb and Ellis are, Skaggs should only get better.  So there definitely is some quality on the way. 

Nate Smith, Alcantara, McGowan etc... are not that great. 

What do you base that on? Especially Nate Smith.

Nate Smith shows promise, but he hasn't exactly done well in AAA. I don't have faith in the other prospects Scotty posted. 

Nate Smith shows promise, but he hasn't exactly done well in AAA. I don't have faith in the other prospects Scotty posted. 

I think it was IP and I that had a good debate about Nate Smith a couple months back.  I've never really been sold on him.  I thought the high-80's fastball and good change up with kind of "meh".  The fastball gained a couple ticks this past season, to where he was hitting 92-93 frequently, but that faded by August I think.  I'd say he has back of the rotation type of ability.  

Alcantara is all bullpen, the Angels will likely make the move this next season but you never know I guess.  McGowin though, he was quite good in the second half this last year.  He has decent velocity with a ton of movement, good deception on RHB, a great slider and he can get his change up over for a strike.  There's more than he's being given credit for.  

Well to be fair, Smith made just 7 starts in AAA, in a disastrous pitching environment.

Of course, but his numbers aren't very encouraging. Anyways, to say this organization's SP is stacked is delusional at best. 

The Mets are stacked with SPs, not the Angels. 

I think it was IP and I that had a good debate about Nate Smith a couple months back.  I've never really been sold on him.  I thought the high-80's fastball and good change up with kind of "meh".  The fastball gained a couple ticks this past season, to where he was hitting 92-93 frequently, but that faded by August I think.  I'd say he has back of the rotation type of ability.  

Alcantara is all bullpen, the Angels will likely make the move this next season but you never know I guess.  McGowin though, he was quite good in the second half this last year.  He has decent velocity with a ton of movement, good deception on RHB, a great slider and he can get his change up over for a strike.  There's more than he's being given credit for.  

I'm not sold on any of them to be honest. Nate Smith is probably the only one who really shows any promise––and that's exactly why trading Newcomb would be foolish. This team lacks any depth in the farm system, which is why I'm totally against trading prospects.