• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lost amidst the hoopla from yesterday's game...

Glen

Aybar hit a HR. I had stepped away for a minute and when I came back they were showing the replay of Calhoun's HR and I just assumed Aybar was on base, because the thought of Aybar jacking one was completely foreign to me. When did Aybar at the plate become Reggie Willits?

Go Aybar!

That's how I knew the guy they had up there in the 9th was going to be easy to hit off of. 

Actually they pulled their pitcher after Aybar and Calhoun homered.

But yeah, you gotta love Aybar.  He made some bad plays earlier in the game then bounced back with the HR in the 9th, and the tag at 2B for the final out.

Can't understand how people can complain so loudly about Gia while Aybar is booting balls and running bases like he's in Tball.

There was one RBI grounder yesterday that Aybar just waved at as it squirted through the IF 2 feet from him.

Edited by Homebrewer

Can't understand how people can complain so loudly about Gia while Aybar is booting balls and running bases like he's in Tball.

There was one RBI grounder yesterday that Aybar just waved at as it squirted through the IF 2 feet from him.

Part of Aybar's problem is that he has had to play 153 games (most of them complete games), second most on the team behind Trout (159), and he's quite  bit older than Trout.  Giavotella, by comparison, has played in 30 less games (quite a few not completing them).  It's a tough position to play for a full season, and to keep up your range and stay sharp.  We are going to have to develop an adequate replacement for Aybar soon, but right now that's another weakness in our farm, no adequate shortstops.  If Eric goes down with injury, the next guy is Featherston, and that's miles away from Aybar.  That's probably why the desperation to keep Featherston this year no matter what, it falls under any glimmer of hope is better than nothing but so far Featherston has been virtually useless at he major league level.   

Yep. He's lost a step defensively, he bunts so much Scioscia probably thinks it's too much, he swings wildly at pitches low and inside, but he's still a very solid performer.

I had always thought Aybar was a very good defender, until this year. He has limited range, boots some routine plays, and never makes a spectacular play. He is adequate, but I suspect we'd be surprised to see how much better a good defensive shortstop would be.

I had always thought Aybar was a very good defender, until this year. He has limited range, boots some routine plays, and never makes a spectacular play. He is adequate, but I suspect we'd be surprised to see how much better a good defensive shortstop would be.

This post has no basis. We are spoiled to have Aybar, he is a tremendous defender and definitely doesn't have limited range, he also has a good arm. The problem I have with Aybar are the bonehead decisions he makes like bunting and running into outs. A tough couple days on defense doesn't take away from how good he is.

http://youtu.be/Tu3CKZMQFpw.

Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

Aybar is a very important core piece of this team. I know some arent big on him, but hes usually (last few games not withstanding) is a very, very solid defender with a decent bat as long as its on the right spot of the lineup. And hea very well liked in the clubhouse.

I keep saying it, when hes gone, were likely going to feel it more than howie leaving.