• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels haven't played like this in years

mp170.6

Just some musings....

1. Trout is amazing, and he plays like this practically all the time. 

2. C.J. Cron has really come into his own as a player.  He's the second best hitter on the Angels, including Calhoun and Pujols. 

3. David Freese is playing like he wants to be paid a lot more money next year.

4. If Pujols and Calhoun actually start hitting the ball, we might be a dangerous team. 

5. Gott has been a Godsend, and Morin couldn't have found himself at a better time.  Hopefully we can mix and match to find something that works. 

Just some musings....

1. Trout is amazing, and he plays like this practically all the time.

2. C.J. Cron has really come into his own as a player. He's the second best hitter on the Angels, including Calhoun and Pujols.

3. David Freese is playing like he wants to be paid a lot more money next year.

4. If Pujols and Calhoun actually start hitting the ball, we might be a dangerous team.

5. Gott has been a Godsend, and Morin couldn't have found himself at a better time. Hopefully we can mix and match to find something that works.

Really don't understand your continual over-rating of Cron, especially in light of you typically being very savvy with stats. In the last 30 days where Cron has been much better, he still has a .298 OBP. I don't seem to remember you having the same irrational love of Trumbo, despite Cron being essentially a clone of him with slightly less power. Edited by 101halo

Really don't understand your continual over-rating of Cron, especially in light of you typically being very savvy with stats. In the last 30 days where Cron has been much better, he still has a .298 OBP. I don't seem to remember you having the same irrational love of Trumbo, despite Cron being essentially a clone of him with slightly less power.

You can't look at overall numbers with Cron. It has really been a tale of two seasons with this guy. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to look up the stats but his last 2 months have been stellar, especially getting on base.

You can't look at overall numbers with Cron. It has really been a tale of two seasons with this guy. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to look up the stats but his last 2 months have been stellar, especially getting on base.

Did you bother reading my post? I usually wouldn't be such a dick, but if you're going to correct me with wrong info, you kind of asked for it. He has a .298 OBP in September. That's not "stellar." He was better in July and August, yes, when he was getting on base around .370. In neither month was his BB rare above 6%, though. It was fully fueled by an unsustainably high BABIP given his lack of speed and line drive rate that look like outliers based on everything else he's done.

All of that supports exactly what I said, he's Trumbo. We'll all get stoked when he gets hot and think it's the new "real" him, when it's just a function of both of their approaches leading to massively streaky results. I really liked Trumbo, just as I like Cron. But neither is anything more than an average player that will have really fun power streaks from time to time.

Edited by 101halo

Did you bother reading my post? I usually wouldn't be such a dick, but if you're going to correct me with wrong info, you kind of asked for it. He has a .298 OBP in September. That's not "stellar." He was better in July and August, yes, when he was getting on base around .370. In neither month was his BB rare above 6%, though. It was fully fueled by an unsustainably high BABIP given his lack of speed and line drive rate that look like outliers based on everything else he's done.

All of that supports exactly what I said, he's Trumbo. We'll all get stoked when he gets hot and think it's the new "real" him, when it's just a function of both of their approaches leading to massively streaky results. I really liked Trumbo, just as I like Cron. But neither is anything more than an average player that will have really fun power streaks from time to time.

You said "he still has a .298 OBP" I thought you meant overall not just IN SEPTEMBER. Maybe you should mean what you say so people know what you're talking about. Talk about over react... Wtf lol

You said "he still has a .298 OBP" I thought you meant overall not just IN SEPTEMBER. Maybe you should mean what you say so people know what you're talking about. Talk about over react... Wtf lol

"In the last 30 days..." not sure how I could've been more clear. Sorry to be a jerk, just don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm quoting hard facts.

Too bad it is the end of September.

Too bad we have to send Weaver out there with his 7-12 4.86 era today.

That should burn the pen up nicely for the final week, without the closer available.

Too little too late, but yeah...its good... and also kinda sad... to see the team motivated and playing the kind of baseball they should have been playing all season long.

Really don't understand your continual over-rating of Cron, especially in light of you typically being very savvy with stats. In the last 30 days where Cron has been much better, he still has a .298 OBP. I don't seem to remember you having the same irrational love of Trumbo, despite Cron being essentially a clone of him with slightly less power.

Cron has been awesome.  Nobody is saying he is up there with the likes of Trout, Goldy, Cabrera, Harper, etc.

He IS the second best hitter on the team.  Even in the month of September despite having low OBP and AVG has still posted an OPS near .800 and has 20 RBI in about as many games.  Some guys are high OBP guys.  Cron hits those guys in.  Realize how poor this team has been the past few years in getting players in and that is where Cron gets a lot of his value.  Since coming back up he has posted an OPS of .876.  Trumbo's best year he posted an .808 OPS.  Cron has a .761 OPS on the year even after starting the year with a .505 OPS in the first 2 months.  Without Cron hitting his stride Angels are not in it right now.  No he is not one of the best hitters in the league, but he is good.  He is better than anything else the Angels have offensively except Trout. 

They really have been clones this season...   

CJ Cron - .266/.303/.457

Trumbo - .260/.307/.453

Cron has been awesome.  Nobody is saying he is up there with the likes of Trout, Goldy, Cabrera, Harper, etc.

He IS the second best hitter on the team.  Even in the month of September despite having low OBP and AVG has still posted an OPS near .800 and has 20 RBI in about as many games.  Some guys are high OBP guys.  Cron hits those guys in.  Realize how poor this team has been the past few years in getting players in and that is where Cron gets a lot of his value.  Since coming back up he has posted an OPS of .876.  Trumbo's best year he posted an .808 OPS.  Cron has a .761 OPS on the year even after starting the year with a .505 OPS in the first 2 months.  Without Cron hitting his stride Angels are not in it right now.  No he is not one of the best hitters in the league, but he is good.  He is better than anything else the Angels have offensively except Trout. 

I'm not an RBI guy, but Cron does have a minor league history of being an RBI machine...  At the same time, he's been pretty putrid with RISP this season, .619 OPS.  Much better with men on -- but still nothing really amazing, .760 OPS.

Maybe we need to start calling him White Joe Carter.

Edited by Inside Pitch