• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Highest team ERA in baseball

I said it before, but it's really quite amazing how spectacularly awful most of the rotation has been.

Even the worst realistic projections of Vargas, Hanson, and Blanton wouldn't have had them anywhere near this bad. Add Weaver before his injury being shaky, and Wilson is pretty shaky as well.

Just baffling how they've all soiled themselves at once.

I said it before, but it's really quite amazing how spectacularly awful most of the rotation has been.

Even the worst realistic projections of Vargas, Hanson, and Blanton wouldn't have had them anywhere near this bad. Add Weaver before his injury being shaky, and Wilson is pretty shaky as well.

Just baffling how they've all soiled themselves at once.

I don't see it as particularly baffling. I wouldn't have expected it but I considered it as a possiblity this might happen.

This pitching staff is a lot worse than they should've been on paper. We were supposed to be poor to mediocre, not uttery horrible. 

Last year's staff was also a lot worse than they were on paper. They were supposed to be great. Ended up being poor.

A lot of people said in the offseason "most likely our staff will be mediocre, which was better than last year". Recall all the statements that Vargas and Blanton will probably be better than Santana and Haren actually were last year. That's true if they maintain their career numbers. Problem is there's always the possibility that this team could also underperform compared to their paper stats, in which case the team is hosed.

This is just like post ASB last year when every single starter -- including Weaver and Greinke -- started struggling simultaneously. Difference is this bunch is not as good to begin with.

There may be some truth to that MT, but many of these pitchers who have arrived here since 2009 (when Kazmir arrived) so far all have one thing in common:  They haven't produced here as well as they did before arriving here.

Vargas wasn't this bad in 2013.    Blantana is Blantana, but definately not this bad pre-2013.

Kazmir had one good month in September 2009 and fell apart at age 25.

Rodney never even pitched as well as he did in Detroit.

Haren was solid for a year or so, and then faltered in 2012 at age 31.

And it goes on.

Granted, my other thread's subject matter (too many new pitchers learning to work with new catchers) might also play a part in this; as well as Arte's extravagances forcing Dipoto to settle for less talented than needed pitching; not to mention Reagins' role in the destruction of the farm system.  

It's like I've said before, this is a total org breakdown leaving us with a few superstars, a few solid players, too many mediocre players, and a broken farm system and almost non-existant foreign presence.   How long will it take to fix all of that?

Butcher is as good as gone.  This staff should settle down a bit, but there is no way this bunch is going to get it done this year.  Hate to be negative, but I just can't see it.  His staff has never really had the swagger I wanted to see, even when they were loaded with talent.

He's on borrowed time, and it's probably sooner than later that he'll get the axe.  And I think it's probably time to replace him anyway, as I don't think he's gotten the most out of the talent available over his tenure.

We probably need to upgrade at hitting coach too, but that's another topic and after they reset the direction on the whole pitching equation.