• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wilson-Ethier Deal?

Puig approached the Dodgers front office, asking if he was on the trade block. The front office told him he isn't and he won't be traded.

@billplunkettocr: Mattingly said he hasn't talked to Yasiel Puig about trade speculation. Has heard no talk internally. Didn't feel it was necessary. #Dodgers

There has been conflicting reports to what you just posted

@billplunkettocr: Mattingly said he hasn't talked to Yasiel Puig about trade speculation. Has heard no talk internally. Didn't feel it was necessary. #Dodgers

An OF of Puig - Trout - Calhoun

Yeah that'd be awesome. Pipe dream though

I've read what Scotty posted. I distinctly remember reading a headline saying that the Dodger Front Office told Puig he wasn't being dealt or something like that a couple days ago.

Actually, I think this is it: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25250059/amid-growing-speculation-dodgers-reassure-puig-he-wont-be-traded

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Ethier is vastly better than Murphy and Coghlan and he provides enough pop to give Pujols the protection that is sorely missing right now.

Pujols needs protection?  The guy that is hitting .139 with RISP/2 outs, .220 with RISP?  Trout is the only guy in this lineup that needs protection, ranked 15th in MLB with 48BBs.

As to Ethier, keep CJ, bring Navarro back up if for no other reason than keeping Joyce from another trainwreck with either Trout or Aybar.  Navarro is hitting .260 with the big club (same as Pujols), substantially better than Joyce, .342 at SLC.  Give the guy a chance.  

I agree with this overall, but if the Angels could trade CJ for Ethier and have the Dodgers throw in some money to even out the difference, I think you make that trade instead of getting Murphy or Coghlan.  Ethier is vastly better than Murphy and Coghlan and he provides enough pop to give Pujols the protection that is sorely missing right now.

I just don't see why the Dodgers make that move unless they can't get Hamels or Price.

I don't have a problem with the Ethier trade either just think we can one or the other or both.

Even if they get Ethier for Wilson, a deal for Coghlin or Murphy would still benefit the team if they can be had at a reasonable price.  Johnny and his .345 OBP against lefties and one of these two against righties could be a solid lead-off platoon.

The Angels greatly prefer to shed salary next year. An Ethier-Wilson swap would not solve that goal.

Although the pieces certainly fit the Angels would undoubtedly like to find a trade partner where we can eat some or all of his 2015 salary and dump the $20MM 2016 price tag on the acquiring team.

The Giants, Pirates, and Twins are the most likely suitors as all three are significantly reducing payroll in 2016 and can handle the load. Additionally all three need help against LHH's.

Am I the only one who thinks trading Wilson right now would be a huge mistake?  Trading Wilson would leave us with a declining Weaver surrounded by a bunch of young and inexperienced (in the postseason) starters.  Why trade a starter who's been our only steady workhorse this year for a guy with a .231 lifetime BA (105 plate appearances) in the postseason?  I just feel that if we're going to make a deep run in the playoffs with a chance of making it to the World Series, Wilson is going to be vital to getting that done.  I'm just not seeing the same kind of depth for the rotation that everyone else is seeing.  No way I'm trading a starter for someone like Ethier.  I just don't feel he'd add much more than what we could get out of Robertson, Navarro, or even a healthy Cowgill, at least not enough to trade away Wilson, that's for sure.

Am I the only one who thinks trading Wilson right now would be a huge mistake?  Trading Wilson would leave us with a declining Weaver surrounded by a bunch of young and inexperienced (in the postseason) starters.  Why trade a starter who's been our only steady workhorse this year for a guy with a .231 lifetime BA (105 plate appearances) in the postseason?  I just feel that if we're going to make a deep run in the playoffs with a chance of making it to the World Series, Wilson is going to be vital to getting that done.  I'm just not seeing the same kind of depth for the rotation that everyone else is seeing.  No way I'm trading a starter for someone like Ethier.  I just don't feel he'd add much more than what we could get out of Robertson, Navarro, or even a healthy Cowgill, at least not enough to trade away Wilson, that's for sure.

I agree that trading Wilson COULD be a big mistake. I don't like or trust the guy overall, but it's hard to argue that he's been a stable presence in a very young rotation, and I would agree our SP isn't quite as deep as people want to think it is. 

I don't think he'll necessarily be a vital part of the team's playoff run - I think he'll actually be more instrumental in making sure the Angels get to the playoffs. 

Not sure if you're the same person who said something similar before but I'll post this again anyway:

Wilson in the playoffs: 53 IP, 1-6 record, 5.26 ERA, 1.49 WHIP

You also neglected to mention that Ethier has a .740 OPS in the playoffs, which is respectable.

That's pretty normal this time of year, lots of conflicting information.  Anyway, I was just going off what I read from CBS.

I did mention in the past how I never liked Wilson's postseason performance, but with the some guys coming off of injuries and/or lacking the workload on the arm (Santiago and Richards will have career highs with IP by end of regular season), I just don't think it's wise to trade away the one proven workhorse we've had this year.  Wilson also seems to be pitching with a chip on his shoulder which I've never seen from him before.  His quality save percentage is also above league average.  He just looks determined to prove his doubters wrong.

I get what you're saying, but what about Howie? I'm sure he was key to team chemistry as well.

That trade was made in the offseason.  When Beane traded Cespedes, it was mid season, and they were #1 overall in baseball.  That trade not only destroyed their lineup, but destroyed their club house chemistry as well.  I think trading a guy like CJ hurts the club house, hes one of the veterans and hes done his job well this season.  I dont like the idea of trading him, any impact bat that we end up getting will be for prospects. 

Since you compared Navarro with Pujols can you show us the difference of OPS between the two?

Pujols needs protection? The guy that is hitting .139 with RISP/2 outs, .220 with RISP? Trout is the only guy in this lineup that needs protection, ranked 15th in MLB with 48BBs.

As to Ethier, keep CJ, bring Navarro back up if for no other reason than keeping Joyce from another trainwreck with either Trout or Aybar. Navarro is hitting .260 with the big club (same as Pujols), substantially better than Joyce, .342 at SLC. Give the guy a chance.

What experience does CJ have that gives confidence that we will lead us to a deep run in the playoffs?

Am I the only one who thinks trading Wilson right now would be a huge mistake? Trading Wilson would leave us with a declining Weaver surrounded by a bunch of young and inexperienced (in the postseason) starters. Why trade a starter who's been our only steady workhorse this year for a guy with a .231 lifetime BA (105 plate appearances) in the postseason? I just feel that if we're going to make a deep run in the playoffs with a chance of making it to the World Series, Wilson is going to be vital to getting that done. I'm just not seeing the same kind of depth for the rotation that everyone else is seeing. No way I'm trading a starter for someone like Ethier. I just don't feel he'd add much more than what we could get out of Robertson, Navarro, or even a healthy Cowgill, at least not enough to trade away Wilson, that's for sure.