• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per MLBTR: Cubs have reached out to Angels for pitching help

Mark68

i guess it will go back to what people think santiago is.    i know this year for me he is the most trustworthy pitcher getting a start behind richards and even he has been suspect, but grinding things out like a wouldbe ace should.   a whole year of this pitching should change some minds for him and if not we keep rolling with him...its going to be hard to knock him off the rotation.  prospects are prospects...it took richards a while to get the hang of it.

maybe he is Esantana to everyone else.

i would prefer cj for ethier

Corona stopped watching Santiago after his first 7 starts last year, or else he wouldn't call him Blantiago.

He's been good this year but still doesn't have a whole lot of value. He can't go deep into games and isnt exactly a work horse. Not to mention he's Arb eligible next year and a FA in 2018. Why the hell would the Cubs move a club controlled top prospect for him? Like I said Santiago and newcomb for schwarber MIGHT get the Cubs listening. If the Cubs move schwarber it'll be for someone like sale or hamels.

The dodgers need another starter. They should just trade Turner to the mets for snydergaard or to the Astros for Appel.

Edited by Corona

This might anger some folks, but personally, I'd do Newcomb-Schwarber straight swap and it might work for both teams.

The Cubs need high-end pitching and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone more high end than Newcomb. The Angels need a LF/DH that hits left-handed and is inexpensive.

I wouldn't blame either team for passing in the deal, but there certainly seems to be a fit.

He's been good this year but still doesn't have a whole lot of value. He can't go deep into games and isnt exactly a work horse. Not to mention he's Arb eligible next year and a FA in 2018. Why the hell would the Cubs move a club controlled top prospect for him? Like I said Santiago and newcomb for schwarber MIGHT get the Cubs listening. If the Cubs move schwarber it'll be for someone like sale or hamels.

The dodgers need another starter. They should just trade Turner to the mets for snydergaard or to the Astros for Appel.

I have no idea what the value of Schwarber is, I don't watch a ton of national league baseball. My point was if you still think Santiago is similar to Blanton then you watch the Angels as often as I watch National League baseball. Santiago is top ten in ERA in the AL. He's a heck of a pitcher, but like you said he struggles to go deep into games. So I guess you are kind of right, Santiago and Blanton both don't go deep into games. The difference is when Blanton is done with his five innings he has given up 5-7 runs. Santiago at the end of his six innings gives up around 2 or 3.

i would give up newcomb for schwarber...if cubs looking to fortify their rotation "this year" then might not be enough.   they might need him to go get hammels if that is what they are looking for.

i would not give both santiago and newcomb though unless they were kicking more into it.

This might anger some folks, but personally, I'd do Newcomb-Schwarber straight swap and it might work for both teams.

The Cubs need high-end pitching and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone more high end than Newcomb. The Angels need a LF/DH that hits left-handed and is inexpensive.

I wouldn't blame either team for passing in the deal, but there certainly seems to be a fit.

I think the Cubs are looking for more immediate help.

I have no idea what the value of Schwarber is, I don't watch a ton of national league baseball. My point was if you still think Santiago is similar to Blanton then you watch the Angels as often as I watch National League baseball. Santiago is top ten in ERA in the AL. He's a heck of a pitcher, but like you said he struggles to go deep into games. So I guess you are kind of right, Santiago and Blanton both don't go deep into games. The difference is when Blanton is done with his five innings he has given up 5-7 runs. Santiago at the end of his six innings gives up around 2 or 3.

I was joking I just like to call him blantiago. But Blanton is actually doing well this year. Maybe the royals can trade him for a top prospect.

• 4 weeks later...

We finally amassed some pitching depth. I would be really disappointed if we traded it away.

That's the thing they built the extreme depth we have because young cost controlled pitching is currency now a days. We have the depth to trade 1 major league arm and a prospect or 2 not named Newcomb or Heaney. (And preferably not Ellis unless it's a good young bat coming back)

i don't like baez. i think he's on the market because theo is trying to sell high on this kid before he tanks.

the idea of trading heaney for him or richards in some weird combination would confirm that the angels are in the stone age. hopefully, we've got some people who know their shit in some capacity of decision making up their on angel high.

edit: also, if it helped facilitate a deal, i'd include kubitza who has good prospect value. i don't like long swings, and i think he's a future bust as a starter. some can make it work, but even those who do tend to have a bad "eye" at the plate. i'll take the compact approach every single time.

Edited by ukyah