• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Amazon Prime

How does Amazon keep its head above water with Amazon Prime?

I buy a lot of little things that aren't stocked in a local warehouse, so they have to use FedEx or UPS.  Yesterday I bought $30 of oil filters and batteries with two-day shipping.  Today, they shipped from Mechanicsville, VA in a 5 pound box, FedEx Standard Overnight.

The retail price on that shipping is $90.79 and I know Amazon doesn't pay that price.  What do they get, a 75% discount?  90% discount? 

i love prime.

been remodeling my place for over a year and i buy a good amount of stuff on amazon (fancy faucets, towel bars, door hardware, etc).

they aren't the best price usually compared to local shops, but getting it in two days makes it worth it.

never tried the streaming stuff though.

Some of the financial guys will probably know better than I but I don't think Amazon has ever shown a profit. Not that they couldn't though, they just reinvest everything into new products and services. 

Edited by Adam

Some of the financial guys will probably know better than I but I don't think Amazon has ever shown a profit. Not that they couldn't though, they just reinvest everything into new products and services. 

Yup, Amazon has yet to turn a profit.  Revenues are huge though.  

Edit, my bad they have turned a profit in some quarters.  

Edited by halobob

Another example of wackiness involving Amazon Prime.  

I have a buddy who lives on Catalina Island.  Amazon Prime still promises two-day shipping to Avalon.  It has become extremely popular because the prices of everything are insanely expensive on the island.  To get packages over there, USPS/UPS/FedEx must deliver to Long Beach Airport at scheduled times so the DC-3 can fly them over.  My friend gets between 500 and 700 packages every year.  They buy all of their regular household supplies and non-perishable food items via Amazon. 

Sometimes packages are delayed and miss the DC-3 flight out of Long Beach.  He calls up Amazon every time this happens and they extend his Prime membership, free of charge, as payment for the delayed packages.  As a result, he and most islanders haven't paid for a Prime membership in years. 

We have HBO Go, Netflix, Prime, and Hulu...maybe others, my better half just buys them and says she uses them each a bit.

We have a Roku on one tv and use the ps4 on another.

I don't really see the need for all the subscriptions because there is a lot of carry over with programming, but we have them all.

They turn a profit, just a very small one.

All the rest of their revenue goes right back into the business (or pays for higher shipping costs, etc).

But if you added up how much profit Amazon has made in total over their entire 20 year history....

Apple makes more than that in a couple weeks.

Insane.

1.png

Amazon's future though is in AWS. Their cloud side is an absolute juggernaut.

Edited by mrwicked

I have a friend who has Amazon Prime. He thinks it's the greatest thing ever. A couple of months ago, he had a drone drop off a package at the front of his porch. He said there was a guy at the end of the street who was controlling it and he went to talk to him. The Amazon guy said they were testing out the drones and told him all about it. Pretty interesting.

How does Amazon keep its head above water with Amazon Prime?

I buy a lot of little things that aren't stocked in a local warehouse, so they have to use FedEx or UPS.  Yesterday I bought $30 of oil filters and batteries with two-day shipping.  Today, they shipped from Mechanicsville, VA in a 5 pound box, FedEx Standard Overnight.

The retail price on that shipping is $90.79 and I know Amazon doesn't pay that price.  What do they get, a 75% discount?  90% discount? 

I have decided to not think about it, much like how sausages are made, I probably don't wanna know.

But I love that they do.

• 11 months later...

Just started checking out the videos available. Decent assortment, nice compliment to netflix. 

Question, when it gives you the option to download, can you do it to multiple devices? I want to download a bunch to my tablet for when i fly, but want to put a handful of the same movies on my phone. Is that ok to do, or am I screwed once i do it once?