• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mang...

Doyyer radio's Kevin Kennedy said on saturday that Pujols is strictly a guess hitter at this point in his career.

I don't know enough about it. Is that legit?

Certainly doubtful especially when talking Pujols. Unless you'd call looking for a certain pitch guessing? I think Albert is up there looking for a pitch in a certain spot, and if that's the pitch he sees and where he thought it'd end up or is close, he swings. I think anyone who's played baseball will tell you what their game plan is in each situation.

First off I was always looking first pitch fastball down the pipe. Took advantage of that "don't swing at the first pitch" bull shit all the time. More times than not its the best pitch you'll get the entire at bat. Behind in the count, look offspeed, foul off any close fastballs. Ahead in the count, you're not looking to foul, you're looking fastball, or an off speed mistake.

Last, people want to argue HRD doesn't mess with batters, but after being a ballplayer for over a decade and knowing how a swing and approach adjusts, I most certainly believe it does. Albert should have passed on the HRD because the team is now going to be paying for it until he gets his head back to where it was before the ASB.

Im gonna sound like a hater here, but after listening to kennedy over the years after dodger games (i work nights, sometimes the dodger game is the only one on), id take anything that guy says with a grain of salt.

As far as home run derby, meh, maybe. But i think its more coincidence. Pujols got cold right after, yeah, but he got red hot right before. I think theyre just random peaks and valleys

Working for ARod.

I would disagree. I don't think Arod is guessing at this point. His bat speed looks better than Albert's at this point. Will he occassionally cheat fastball on fastball counts? Yea, but his avg/OBP is too high for a guess hitter unless he's a freakin genius

I would disagree. I don't think Arod is guessing at this point. His bat speed looks better than Albert's at this point. Will he occassionally cheat fastball on fastball counts? Yea, but his avg/OBP is too high for a guess hitter unless he's a freakin genius

I watch a lot of Yankees games.  Singleton and Kay won't say it, but when you watch with impartial announcers TBS/MLB/FOX, they all heavily comment on it.   It was very evident two seasons ago.   Arod is very smart and understands pitch sequences.   Most guys by the time they are in their late 30s early 40s, especially guys like Arod and Pujols, become very good at guessing the pitch, as opposed to adjusting to what they are seeing.  

I watch a lot of Yankees games.  Singleton and Kay won't say it, but when you watch with impartial announcers TBS/MLB/FOX, they all heavily comment on it.   It was very evident two seasons ago.   Arod is very smart and understands pitch sequences.   Most guys by the time they are in their late 30s early 40s, especially guys like Arod and Pujols, become very good at guessing the pitch, as opposed to adjusting to what they are seeing.  

I'll give you that, Soto.  But you have to admit that Arod's bat speed is faster than Alberts, right?

I'll give you that, Soto. But you have to admit that Arod's bat speed is faster than Alberts, right?

It's debatable. When Albert misses, he looks awful and slow, and much slower and more awful than Arod. However when Pujols connects, he looks quicker than Arod. Take a look at those HRs by Albert and he seems to jump on pitches.

Now Arod's swing is still pretty sweet. And I imagine some of that "speed" or lack of it may come down to Albert is a pretty big dude. Thicker than Arod, so perhaps he seems slower.

I don't have a direct answer. But my opinion.

Terrible decline. At least he is trying though, unlike Hamilton. Sigh...we could have just kept Hunter Bourjos, Grichuk, Callaspo, and ~190M and gotten Beltre...

In the absence of meddling from the owner and field manager, I like Stoneman's style.

Edited by ScottLux