• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Citizens United

I know this is out of the blue but I have been thinking about this SCOTUS decision for a while.  I understand that it would be awesome to get money out of politics and that the law they decided against would have done that somewhat.

What I don't understand is why it wasn't a legally correct decision.

If a corporation can be taxed, convicted of crimes and penalized by the government than why shouldn't  it have rights?

If they are taxed like people why shouldn't they have some of those rights?  They already don't vote.

Don't you know that in Amerca votes don't matter.  How much corporations give to politicians to make decisions in their favor matter.  Money talks, votes walk.

If they are taxed like people why shouldn't they have some of those rights?  They already don't vote.

They're not taxed like people. they're taxed like the for-profit money making entities that they are. Paying taxes doesn't define you as a citizen of the United states. If that's the basis of your whole argument then it's pretty weak.

The people that own them and work for them vote.

Isn't the point of a democracy that the people vote?  Everyone has an equal voice?

Those people also get taxed.  I'm just wondering why taxation without representation is ok in this instance.  And this country is a republic, not really a democracy.

They're not taxed like people. they're taxed like the for-profit money making entities that they are. Paying taxes doesn't define you as a citizen of the United states. If that's the basis of your whole argument then it's pretty weak.

I'm not really trying to make an argument, I'm just trying to figure out why, aside from the hatred for corporations in general, this was a bad 'legal' decision.

It's difficult for me to articulate why I think CU is bad, other than repeating "corporations aren't people."  It's really that simple.  I also understand that that lack of articulation opens the door for corporations to be legally viewed as people.  

That's why I'm not a lawyer, among several other reasons.

It's difficult for me to articulate why I think CU is bad, other than repeating "corporations aren't people."  It's really that simple.  I also understand that that lack of articulation opens the door for corporations to be legally viewed as people.  

That's why I'm not a lawyer, among several other reasons.

So you would exclude any entity that isn't a person?  I'm not trying to jump to a conclusion, just asking.

Those people also get taxed.  I'm just wondering why taxation without representation is ok in this instance.  And this country is a republic, not really a democracy.

They are represented by the people that own them and work for them.  How is that not being represented?

No, I do not feel that non citizens should be allowed to vote in the US.  I don't see how it is related either.

I do however think that criminals should be allowed to vote.  Like it or not, they are still a part of this country and should have a voice.

Put it this way, in WI, state parks require dogs to be on a leash... My dog would love to run around without a leash in the parks, but isn't allowed to vote for the anti leash candidate.  I could however if I felt it was in my and my dogs best interest.

Companies would love to monopolize their industry, pay no taxes, and otherwise rape and pillage their customers.  They can't vote for their favorite candidate but their owner can.  Otherwise you get a minority having more power than the majority.  In the US every citizen should count as 1 vote and have an equal voice.

Without providing groups (corporations, unions or non-profits etc) rights afforded by the 1st amendment, what would prevent a Republicans for instance if they had enough votes to ban Planned Parenthood from advertising completely? Or the NAACP from assembling in protests? There was a reason the ACLU fought for the initial ruling, even if the backlash from the ruling led them to distance themselves from the issue entirely.