• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowgill

One of the more underrated pickups Dipoto has made. Probably our best 4th outfielder we've had in a long time. His defense is great and he has speed and has hit fairly well since last year. With Hamilton out, I expect to see him getting a lot of time in the outfield.

I almost wouldn't mind seeing a Cowgill/Joyce platoon in left field with Krauss/Cron getting the platoon at DH

Ive been a cowgill fan since he got here. Love the speed and defense, and seems like a good guy.

If he can just get on base at a league average clip i think hes a good bargain as a 4th OF guy.

Ans his performance while hamilton was out the first part of last year was a huge factor in us staying in the race, IMO

Cowgill is fine as a fourth outfielder, but the Angels have had some decent fourth outfielders... better ones, in fact.  Bourjos, Palmeiro, DaVanon... even Shuck and Willits were ok for stints.

I can see Cowgill losing his fourt outfielder title to Daniel Robertson or someone else.  His bat disappeared as the season went on last year. 

Cowgill is fine as a fourth outfielder, but the Angels have had some decent fourth outfielders... better ones, in fact.  Bourjos, Palmeiro, DaVanon... even Shuck and Willits were ok for stints.

I can see Cowgill losing his fourt outfielder title to Daniel Robertson or someone else.  His bat disappeared as the season went on last year. 

Bat cooled off when Hamilton and Calhoun came back and took his regular at bats..

He still hit .288/.350/.440 against leftys last year which is what he'll be facing in a platoon with Joyce/Hamilton/whatever they end up doing. He'll keep his spot

Bat cooled off when Hamilton and Calhoun came back and took his regular at bats..

He still hit .288/.350/.440 against leftys last year which is what he'll be facing in a platoon with Joyce/Hamilton/whatever they end up doing. He'll keep his spot

Agree, I can't see Robertson taking his spot.  In fact I like Navarro better than Robertson.

I didn't realize he was so good against lefties. Looks like he'd be the perfect platoon partner with Joyce.

I love Cowgill's defense and I like his bat enough to say he's a good platoon partner or 4th OF. He's even a little quick.

What I wish the Angeks really had though is a Jarrod Dyson type. Someone you bring in for the 9th inning that you and everyone else knows is stealing. It not only get you RISP and a chance to tie/win, but it distracts the pitcher and makes him throw worse pitches to the batter at the plate.

Who remembers Cowgill tagging up from 2B and being gunned down at 3B in the playoffs last year? It wasn't the wrong decision and it took the perfect throw, but what I want on this roster is a guy that's fast enough to where that perfect throw doesn't matter, he's safe. We have that Darby guy in AAA that should fill that role but Campana should've been on the roster in October.

If that were a speedster, he'd have been safe at 3B and it's likely the Angels win game 2.

But I like Cowgill as a bench option. You could have much worse.

I love Cowgill's defense and I like his bat enough to say he's a good platoon partner or 4th OF. He's even a little quick.

What I wish the Angeks really had though is a Jarrod Dyson type. Someone you bring in for the 9th inning that you and everyone else knows is stealing. It not only get you RISP and a chance to tie/win, but it distracts the pitcher and makes him throw worse pitches to the batter at the plate.

Who remembers Cowgill tagging up from 2B and being gunned down at 3B in the playoffs last year? It wasn't the wrong decision and it took the perfect throw, but what I want on this roster is a guy that's fast enough to where that perfect throw doesn't matter, he's safe. We have that Darby guy in AAA that should fill that role but Campana should've been on the roster in October.

If that were a speedster, he'd have been safe at 3B and it's likely the Angels win game 2.

I agree that having a designated speedster for the playoffs is nice option and I'm also a Cowgill fan but I cannot concur that he made the right decision on that play in Game 2. It was a panic move. I understand why he ran since the offense was in a catatonic state but the CF's momentum was taking him to 3rd on the catch and it just looked bad from the outset. Also, if you watch the play again you'll see it wasn't a perfect throw. It was a little off target and still wasn't that close.

meh.  I like that sort of approach for the playoffs, but for the grind of the season you have to have a guy who is more than just a pinch runner.  In particular, you are going to see Joyce facing a lefty late in games quite a bit and it's gonna be important for the bat off the bench to have some actual ability.  

Collin is a nice platoon guy.   Shouldn't see the light of day vs. rhers, but more than capable of splitting time and coming in as a defensive replacement.  

I've been viewing Cowgill as a significant regression candidate, given the high BABIP last year and the way his numbers were much better than previous levels. He's looked pretty good in ST so that's eased those fears but I want to see a bit more from him before I truly believe he can continue to play as well as he did last year.