• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney will be a 5th starter at best.

rafibomb

So you believe Dipoto initiated the trade for Heaney?

Absolutely.

Dodgers: we want Kendrick

angels: we want a young controllable pitcher and you won't trade us any of yours.

dodgers: ok who on other teams do you like?

Angels: Heaney

Dodgers: ok, please hold

(Hold music plays)

Dodgers: ok, we can get you Heaney for Kendrick

Angels: Deal

And saying "the Dodgers could have kept him" is like saying "why didn't the other 27 teams get him?" Certainly every one of them had someone the Marlins would have wanted.

Absolutely.

angels: we want a young controllable pitcher and you won't trade us any of yours.

(Hold music plays)

And saying "the Dodgers could have kept him" is like saying "why didn't the other 27 teams get him?" Certainly every one of them had someone the Marlins would have wanted.

Ok, I'll play along ... trading Kendrick may have compromised the team in 2015. Trading a key player like Kendrick may upset the chemistry of the team (Cespedes trade). There was some risk in this trade for the Angels.

I'm not liking it so far but very interested in seeing how it plays out for this season. The Angels could of traded for a cost controlled pitcher after the 2015 season and received a draft pick if they didn't keep Howie.

I'm not a fan of hurting the current team for the future. I want to win now! Pujols isn't getting any younger.

There's no question that trading Kendrick made the Angels worse for 2015. Privately I think Dipoto would even admit that. But you can't just keep making the present team better and better without eventually paying a price when all the guys get old and you realize there is no one behind them. You have to make little short term sacrifices to keep the ball rolling.

Otherwise youd trade every prospect you had every year.

Ok, I'll play along ... trading Kendrick may have compromised the team in 2015. Trading a key player like Kendrick may upset the chemistry of the team (Cespedes trade). There was some risk in this trade for the Angels.

I'm not liking it so far but very interested in seeing how it plays out for this season. The Angels could of traded for a cost controlled pitcher after the 2015 season and received a draft pick if they didn't keep Howie.

I'm not a fan of hurting the current team for the future. I want to win now! Pujols isn't getting any younger.

They would need to make a qualifying offer in order to get draft pick compensation, there are no guarantees they would have done that -- not at 2014's rate of 15.1 mil or whatever it was..  Similarly there are no guarantees there would have been a suitable pitcher made available had they waited.  The Angels seemingly like Heaney, the opportunity arose and they took it..  I doubt JD or any of the Angels front office believes the team isn't a little worse both on offense and definitely defensively, but the 6 years of team controlled pitching is extremely valuable to a team in the Angels situation.  

Whether or not it all pans out will likely be up for debate all season, 

Cespedes is an imposter while Kendrick is the real deal.

Mid season Beane disrupted the chemistry by more than the Cespedes trade and by that token he has destroyed any chemistry by trading away half their starting team from last season.

The bottom line is that Heaney at one point was the property of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was flipped to the Angels after they acquired him first so he was traded twice.

I generally love semantics, but when I read a post like this it makes me question my affection.

The bottom line is that Heaney at one point was the property of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was flipped to the Angels after they acquired him first so he was traded twice.

Why does it matter?  

Does his having been traded twice or once as a part of a three way deal mean he is worse -- is that the implication?   Frank Robinson was traded four times -- was he a POS?   Heaney has yet to pitch in Anaheim and people are already hanging the bust card on him based on his ST performance..  Then again, to hear many tell it, Howie Kendrick was a colossal bust himself.  

We can only hope Heaney turns out as bad as HK did.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think Cespedes is a really good ballplayer -- that mid-season deal by Billy Beane was SO UN-Billy Beane like (so was the signing of Billy Butler) that Billy Beane may no longer be following the Billy Beane blue print...........I am still trying to figure out the Cespedes trade by the A's -- MAKES NO SENSE -- I thought Cespdes might be in the position Josh Hamitlon is now and that might explain it but that hasn't happened.

Angels traded HK one year too soon instead of one year too late -- so its difficult to fault them for that -- Fletcher's analysis -- as usual -- is spot on -- the trade of HK made them worse for 2015 but the Halos felt that could go with a stop gap a field at 2B in 2015 and other bats would fill the hole in the line up.........it's proven to be more difficult than that........and now Heaney looks like he's not ready for prime time (even as a 5th starter) for 2015.....the good news is that Heaney can work on some things, develop at SLC and remains under club control for another 4 or 5 years..........

meanwhile, no doubt, HK is going to help the Dodgers and, actually, will hit even better in that line up over there.........he'll play 155 plus games and get about 600 ABs.  He'll be solid a-field -- not sure what his status is for 2016 but likely to get extended.......Dodgers have this young 2B Guerrero knocking on the door, though -- presumably he could play 3B as well and is said to need work on MIF D.

As I understand it, the Dodgers never even spoke to Heaney. The Marlins called him to say he'd been traded to the Dodgers. The Marlins called him a few minutes later and said he'd been traded to the Angels. The Angels then called him.

It's kind of ludicrous to suggest that the Dodgers acquired Heaney with the idea of keeping him, then were convinced to trade him in 20 minutes.

As I understand it, the Dodgers never even spoke to Heaney. The Marlins called him to say he'd been traded to the Dodgers. The Marlins called him a few minutes later and said he'd been traded to the Angels. The Angels then called him.

It's kind of ludicrous to suggest that the Dodgers acquired Heaney with the idea of keeping him, then were convinced to trade him in 20 minutes.

Youre really killing the narrative here, just stop it

This makes sense. 

Absolutely.

(Hold music plays)

I think thats pretty accurate except the music part. I think when the dodgers put you on hold you get to listen to tommy lasorda wax poetic about the 70s, and hear magic talk about vinCE scully being a legend.

They would need to make a qualifying offer in order to get draft pick compensation, there are no guarantees they would have done that -- not at 2014's rate of 15.1 mil or whatever it was.. Similarly there are no guarantees there would have been a suitable pitcher made available had they waited. The Angels seemingly like Heaney, the opportunity arose and they took it.. I doubt JD or any of the Angels front office believes the team isn't a little worse both on offense and definitely defensively, but the 6 years of team controlled pitching is extremely valuable to a team in the Angels situation.

Whether or not it all pans out will likely be up for debate all season,

Thats the bottom line. As much as we would all prefer howie to be be our 2B still, he was likely gone at the end of this year. Then you have to make him an offer to get the draft pick. Thats a gamble on assuming a SP with upside would still be available to us when that pick comes around. It is what it is.

Howie by no means guarantees a ring (and im a huge fan). So as much as i wish he was still here, we basically just got the inevitable a year early. At worst, we got a back of the rotation starter who might be ready mod season or next year. Thats more of a sure thing than the gamble on who we may have drafted next offseason

Thats the bottom line. As much as we would all prefer howie to be be our 2B still, he was likely gone at the end of this year. Then you have to make him an offer to get the draft pick. Thats a gamble on assuming a SP with upside would still be available to us when that pick comes around. It is what it is.

Howie by no means guarantees a ring (and im a huge fan). So as much as i wish he was still here, we basically just got the inevitable a year early. At worst, we got a back of the rotation starter who might be ready mod season or next year. Thats more of a sure thing than the gamble on who we may have drafted next offseason

Screw the draft pick ... how about a WS Championship!

To me, this trade was, and still is, a no brainer. It definitely makes the team weaker in 2015, but substantially improves the long-term outlook. Even if Heaney never becomes anything more than an innings-eating back if the rotation starter, there is a ton of value in that.

Replacing Howie with Johnny G/Rutledge is ugly and will come back to bite the Angels in 2015.  The Royals gave up on Johnny G because he was a terrible defensive 2B.  Rutledge can't hit ML pitching.

In watching Haney during ST, he doesn't appear to have an "out" pitch that works at the ML level and so will add little or nothing in 2015 to the Angels rotation.

And the Angels already have Richards, Shoe, Skaggs and Weaver for 2016 plus Tropeano, Rucinski...etc.  Haney doesn't add anything to that list so trading a top 5 AL 2B for him straight up was a huge blunder.