• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout

I think Trout returns to the norm, his norm. Offensively, last year was a down season. I think

He cuts down on the K's, raises the BA/OBP, HR's remain relatively consistent and he returns to stealing more bases.

.310/.410 35 DB's 30 HR's 25 SB and leads the league in runs and RBI's.

He'll win his second consecutive MVP (should be his 4th).

I think Trout returns to the norm, his norm. Offensively, last year was a down season. I think

He cuts down on the K's, raises the BA/OBP, HR's remain relatively consistent and he returns to stealing more bases.

.310/.410 35 DB's 30 HR's 25 SB and leads the league in runs and RBI's.

He'll win his second consecutive MVP (should be his 4th).

Really it (should be his 3rd), can't deny what Cabrera did in 2012 (first Triple Crown in 45 years). 

Really it (should be his 3rd), can't deny what Cabrera did in 2012 (first Triple Crown in 45 years). 

Everyone has hashed this out over and over but "triple crown" is an arbitrary collecition of somewhat poor indictators of overall value. Trout's 2012 was clearly more valuable than Cabrera's, BA/HR/RBIs or no.

Everyone has hashed this out over and over but "triple crown" is an arbitrary collecition of somewhat poor indictators of overall value. Trout's 2012 was clearly more valuable than Cabrera's, BA/HR/RBIs or no.

Beating a dead horse but I feel like Cabrera deserved that triple crown MVP.  Yeah the war and the defensive metrics and all that stuff, but leading the league in batting and homers not to mention RBI is pretty dang hard to do, especially for a guy in Comerica.

Trout should have 2 MVPs though right now.

Comerica is a hitter's park btw, but yeah I had no problem with Cabrera winning the MVP that year.

I look at it like this: It would have been more of a slight to the Triple Crown winner not winning the MVP than it was for Trout not winning it. I also think it had a lot to do with Detroit making the playoffs and the Angels missing them.

i disagree AO. If anything i give cabrerra the nod at 2013, but 12 should have been trout.

Triple crown is cool because weve been brought up to say its cool (and it is). And i get that its a total rarity.

But who says avg is more important than obp? (Trout led in obp). Who says rbi are more important than runs scored? (Trout led in runs). Obviously the home runs favor mcab, but it was something like 7 more, with a month more games in a better hitters park.

After hittting, mcab was a liability on the bases with his speed, and was below average with his fielding. Exact opposite of troit that year.

Trout shouldve been it that year. But old school baseball heads werent about to let sabr arguments win over a sacred cow like the triple crown

If only Trout wasn't CS by Jesus Montero of all people in that last series against Seattle. He would have accomplished a 30 HR, 50 SB season...something that has only been done twice before in history. Still wouldn't have won MVP even though that accomplishment is more rare than a Triple Crown winner

It's arbitrary, but it's the first time that a triple crown winner didn't lead the league in WAR.  By and large, it was by quite a bit.  

Cabrera won the next year pretty handily as well without the triple crown and Trout still beat him in overall value.  

not only are certain stats arbitrary, but the criteria for MVP changes every year.  

Trout will get a few more MVPs.  

All of that aside, are we in agreement that Trout's first 3 seasons are the best first 3 seasons in MLB history?

For instance, Trout's cumulative OPS+ for those 3 seasons was about 100 greater than Pay-Rod's first 3 seasons, and he had more steals and less CSs than Pay-Rod.

Edited by Angel Oracle

All of that aside, are we in agreement that Trout's first 3 seasons are the best first 3 seasons in MLB history?

For instance, Trout's cumulative OPS+ for those 3 seasons was about 100 greater than Pay-Rod's first 3 seasons, and he had more steals and less CSs than Pay-Rod.

Maybe best overall player, but not best hitter - that would probably be Ted Williams. Compare:

Williams (1939-41): .356/.475/.640, 177 wRC+, 24.8 fWAR

Trout (2012-14): .311/.403/.561, 170 wRC+, 28.4 fWAR

Williams gets the edge in terms of hitting, but it is less than I thought it would be. Even more amazing to me.