• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Angels will pass on former Draft pick Locker

The Angels will pass on Jake Locker, thank you very much. Locker, still only 26, announced his retirement from an injury-plagued career as an NFL quarterback on Tuesday. The Angels selected Locker in the 10th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, signing the two-sport star for $300,000 even though he was focused primarily on football because they'd hold his rights as a baseball player until August 2015.

View the full article

I don't get it either. There is no downside in letting him come in. They've already paid the guy his $300,000 signing bonus so why not?

Obviously there is probably only a 1% chance the guy ever makes the majors and a .01% chance the guy is an all star. But that being said I've read reports of several scouts saying this guy had that type of talent. IMO this is a lower risk move than bringing in a guy like Mulder last year. Did that work out? No. But it didn't hurt at all to try.

Dipoto must think that this will have psychological effects on the other guys in the system.  That's the only explanation I can come up with.  Maybe he thinks it'll be viewed as disloyal if he cuts or sits another player already in the system.  Maybe he thinks the atmosphere will become too circus-like. Dochalo's probably right--seems like something else is going on behind the scenes.  I'd think guys would love to have him as a teammate and hear NFL stories--the Rangers brining in Russell Wilson seems to get good reviews.

To me, you give the guy a workout and let other teams come and view the workout.  If you don't want him in the system, trade him.  If you do, keep him.