• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UC Irvine students ban the US flag

Some free speech is stupid. The flag they are protesting gives them the right to do what they are doing.

Never understood when people say stuff like this. If the flag gives them the right wouldn't they be honoring the flag by banning it? What is the point of fighting to achieve something if you just shun it after you win?

I don't disagree with you, mt, but think in 2015 we should be focusing more on world citizenship, on the total globe itself, rather than the old nationalistic boundaries and agendas. As far as I understand the purpose of the ban, the students wanted to create a more "inclusive space" on campus that wasn't centered on American values and identity. I think there is an element of protest as well, with the statement that the American flag hasn't only symbolized freedom etc, but also colonialism and imperialism, etc.

If only the rest of the world wasn't so nationalistic... For all the talk certain libs make about the US becoming more like Europe, the nationalism there borders on the fanatical...

So then let's lead the world in more than just military power.

and banning national flags on one building is supposed to do that?

Come on.

Something you are talking about is going to take real effort, real sacrifice.  It certainly isn't going to be achieved by some silly symbolic act that cost the students absolutely nothing.

Come on.

Something you are talking about is going to take real effort, real sacrifice.  It certainly isn't going to be achieved by some silly symbolic act that cost the students absolutely nothing.

They're probably just trying to embarrass their parents anyway

For what its worth here is my honest take on this. Yes, it is a piece of cloth. It is not to be worshipped, it is not to be honored without question, it is not to be thought of as any better than any other flag.

However, I do believe what it does say and encourage is that this is the country we live in and we should try to make it the best place we can. I don't think there is anything wrong with that kind of message, nothing at all.

Bravo MT

They're probably just trying to embarrass their parents anyway

Was at the Newport Beach Benz and Porsche dealers this weekend test driving cars and both salesmen commented on the UC Irvine flag issue and laughed that they sell most of their top end stuff to the students but never see the faculty.

Montana politicians are, for the most part, morons.

Bunch of either west side libs or rural cons. This is a state that has had the one of the biggest oil booms in the nation and basically hasn't capitalized on it whatsoever.

But they have the most awesome States rights stance on the right to bear arms.

Was at the Newport Beach Benz and Porsche dealers this weekend test driving cars and both salesmen commented on the UC Irvine flag issue and laughed that they sell most of their top end stuff to the students but never see the faculty.

exactly

If you want a really good deal on a screaming yellow Boxter they have one with about 20k worth of upgrades that were ordered and when the car came in the guy didn't like the color. Probably a poli-sci major that realized he needed a black one.

Sure, but their roads still suck and the schools impacted by the boom are broke and understaffed.

But go NRA!!!!

My father's dirt road to his house is in better shape than most of the streets in downtown Santa Monica and Montana's public school system is still rated higher than California.

My father's dirt road to his house is in better shape than most of the streets in downtown Santa Monica and Montana's public school system is still rated higher than California.

That is because he maintains his own road and the second part isn't really saying much.

If I remember correctly your dad lives on the western half, that is where the money goes.

I am joining late to this but it is disappointing that everyone is blaming the "non american" population at Irvine.  Really they are Chinese.  I went to school in a heavy Chinese area and they loved America.  Hell most were conservative.

This just screams of college kids "raging against the machine."  Remember most Vietnam protests happened on college campuses and hell they burned flags in those.

That said it seems like a state college should jump in and say nope sorry not happening and leave the flag up.

Probably cause the faculty is at the Aston martin and rolls Royce dealership

Come on.

I didn't say that, but not all ways have to be massively heroic. Little steps matter too, if only locally.

Anyhow, even if it is pissing in the wind I don't see a problem with it or find it in any way offensive. But I do support being more inclusive and less nationalistic.

Montana politicians are, for the most part, morons.

Bunch of either west side libs or rural cons.  This is a state that has had the one of the biggest oil booms in the nation and basically hasn't capitalized on it whatsoever.

Well that beats Texas....west, east, north and south cons with rural cons to boot.  Austin and San Antonio may go a little lib but that is it. 

I didn't say that, but not all ways have to be massively heroic. Little steps matter too, if only locally.

Anyhow, even if it is pissing in the wind I don't see a problem with it or find it in any way offensive. But I do support being more inclusive and less nationalistic.

banning all flags doesn't sound inclusive at all. Sounds very separatist.

banning all flags doesn't sound inclusive at all. Sounds very separatist.

Well I can't speak for the people involved but don't agree with this implication. If it was some flags then sure. Butno flags could be taken to mean "Your nation doesn't matter - we're all inhabitants of Planet Earth, all human beings."