• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greatest Coach

I have no idea, but of the guys pictured, I really think that Pop is the right choice. The consistency with which the Spurs organization has played is incredibly impressive. Annoying, but impressive. Their core has been more or less the same, but the method by which he (and Buford) been able to just plug players in and find effective complementary pieces for Duncan, Parker and Ginobili is downright incredible. Furthermore, it really has allowed the fans to form a relationship, if you will, with those main guys. It's really cool to see. How many guys can you name recently that have stuck with the same organization for a decade, let alone three guys? They've been together for thirteen years.

I get sick of hearing about them, but it's Pop.

What a jerk.

jackson was a terrific coach. have to wonder if he would have been just as effective with his triangle offense coaching people not name pippin, jordan, o'neal, and bryant. no way to measure that, of course, but it's one of those things i wonder about. he certainly got the most out of his teams that he could get.

i think i'd vote for popovich. i think he did more with less.

Old school: John Wooden, Dean Smith, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Red Auerbach, Scotty Bowman, Jimmy Johnson, Bobby Cox, Sparky Anderson, Joe Torre

This generation: Pops, Belicheck, Coach K, Saban, Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, Boeheim, LaRussa, Bochy, Phil Jackson

The stats suggest that you ought to add the man you spend your days screaming at on the main board during baseball season to your list.

He is, statistically speaking, a Hall of Fame worthy manager.

I thought about Meyer, but there are so many worthy of being on those top 10 lists of mine, maybe in another 4-5 years.  

But the record off the field also brings doubt. 

And Pitino was admittedly an omission who could be considered ahead of Boeheim, given that he's won at three places (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) while Boeheim coached at just one school and is not nearly as successful in the post-season as Coach K has been with one school for 35 seasons.

Larry Brown certainly fits the bill from the "improving just about every team he coached" standpoint.   

Heck, had SMU ever done anything in college BB before he arrived there, outside of maybe one of the biggest stiffs in NBA history coming from there (Jon Koncak)?

But he's too nomadic to be top 10.

Scioscia did take over a franchise that had very few above .500 seasons from 1987-1999.   For that, his stats put him not far off.   

But his post-season record after 2002 creates some doubt for being on a top 10 list.

Now, if he manages another 8 seasons and reaches 2000 career MLB wins over just 23 seasons, that is HOF worthy.

The Raviners long time manager Walter Alston had just barely over 2000 wins over his 23 seasons there, and he's in the HOF. 

Granted, Alston also managed 4 WS champs (1955, 1959, 1963, 1965) in those 23 seasons, and yes with just one post-season series each year.

I probably should ban myself for 3 days, for omitting Vince Lombardi from the old school list.

GB had mostly been a putrid franchise, aside from Don Hutson's WR heroics, when Lombardi took over in the late 1950s.  

The rest is history (FIVE NFL titles in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967).

Edited by Angel Oracle