• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greatest Coach

If your going with college basketball coaches: Jerry Tarkanian. Unlike the others listed he won at mid major schools. That at is a lot more difficult than winning at the high majors like Duke, U NC, Syracuse

while i agree with you about Tark (absolutely should be included ),

being successful playing the schedule teams like Duke, for example,  are required to go up against is infinitely more difficult than beating teams like UOP, NM State and UCI

If your going with college basketball coaches: Jerry Tarkanian. Unlike the others listed he won at mid major schools. That at is a lot more difficult than winning at the high majors like Duke, U NC, Syracuse

I do feel dirty keeping my alma mater's first and greatest coach off of my old school list. He is definitely a contender. LB St was a brand new D-1 program when he arrived, as was pretty much UNLV.

while i agree with you about Tark (absolutely should be included ),

being successful playing the schedule teams like Duke, for example,  are required to go up against is infinitely more difficult than beating teams like UOP, NM State and UCI

Take a good look at Tark's record against Lute Olsen (4-1)  Duke (1-1)  Arkansas (3-0)  Louisville (3-0), North Carolina St. (3-1), You argument would have merit if UNLV played only those in the Big West.  In actuality UNLV non-conference schedule were all against top ten teams.  True he didn't compete in a high major conference but those high major conferences usually played a lot of cream puffs in non conference.  UNLV during Tark's time was the exact opposite.

Also, The Big West was pretty damn good those years:  The year they won the National Championship UCSB had two pro's including Brian Shaw, Fullerton had an All Pro Cedric Cebollas, Long Beach had all pro Cotton.  New Mexico St, UCSB, and Long Beach all made the tourney.

UNLV was the dominant team in the West and it was done at a mid major school with a mid major conference.  There are only two mid major schools in history to win the NCAA Tournament.  UNLV and Texas Southern.

Edited by stormngt

Take a good look at Tark's record against Lute Olsen (4-1)  Duke (1-1)  Arkansas (3-0)  Louisville (3-0), North Carolina St. (3-1), You argument would have merit if UNLV played only those in the Big West.  In actuality UNLV non-conference schedule were all against top ten teams.  True he didn't compete in a high major conference but those high major conferences usually played a lot of cream puffs in non conference.  UNLV during Tark's time was the exact opposite.

Also, The Big West was pretty damn good those years:  The year they won the National Championship UCSB had two pro's including Brian Shaw, Fullerton had an All Pro Cedric Cebollas, Long Beach had all pro Cotton.  New Mexico St, UCSB, and Long Beach all made the tourney.

UNLV was the dominant team in the West and it was done at a mid major school with a mid major conference.  There are only two mid major schools in history to win the NCAA Tournament.  UNLV and Texas Southern.

As a PCAA/Big West fan since the Tark days, a few corrections (no disrespect meant)

Brian Shaw was at UCSB two years before UNLV won it all.    

LB's star player was freshman Lucious Harris, who of course played on the 2002 NBA finalists Nets team.

The 1990 NCAA tourney teams were UNLV (champs), NMSU (top 25 ranking), and UCSB.   LB was omitted despite a top 40 rpi rating and a home win over Big Ten runner-up Purdue, and road win over SWC runner-up Texas (going on to the Elite Eight) on a buzzer-beating 3 by Harris.   

Texas Western in 1966 (now UTEP), and not Texas Southern, was the other mid-major to win it all. 

As a PCAA/Big West fan since the Tark days, a few corrections (no disrespect meant)

Brian Shaw was at UCSB two years before UNLV won it all.    

LB's star player was freshman Lucious Harris, who of course played on the 2002 NBA finalists Nets team.

The 1990 NCAA tourney teams were UNLV (champs), NMSU (top 25 ranking), and UCSB.   LB was omitted despite a top 40 rpi rating and a home win over Big Ten runner-up Purdue, and road win over SWC runner-up Texas (going on to the Elite Eight) on a buzzer-beating 3 by Harris.   

Texas Western in 1966 (now UTEP), and not Texas Southern, was the other mid-major to win it all. 

I stand corrected.  I really thought LB St. was in the tourney that year.  Wasn't it the year where their coach moved to U Colorado.  Wasn't Schea Cotton's brother playing for LB ST then?  Who was the key player for UCSB, I remember they had two really good ones.