• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vlad and the Hall of Fame

eaterfan

I have no doubt pitchers were taking, I would assume more relief pitchers took than any other position on the field, because of how quickly their bodies needed to recover. So when it comes to that, so few of them get into the hall it doesn't really matter. As far as starters, I highly doubt Petite gets in and he is along the same lines as Musina, or Smoltz in my opinion.

Once again, I don't really care whether or not these guys get into the hall, I just understand why people won't vote for them. My moral compass isn't quite as structured as some of these old time baseball writers. My issues wtih most of the threads about this stuff has to do with the "personalitites" on the board that speak in absolutes about stuff they have very little knowledge of.

There can be an argument made for both sides here.

Vlad was at his best with the Expos but the team never went anywhere when he was with them.

Vlad was still great with the Angels but he wasn't as dominant towards the end of his deal. The caveat is he won a MVP and helped lead the Angels to multiple division titles and became a household name for a team in its' most successful decade in team history. 

Vlad also isn't a sure thing to get into the HOF like many people believe. His career 56.5 WAR is below the usual 60+ WAR you need to get considered. Vlad was a poor fielder and a below average runner for most of his career and his career ended rather abruptly. 

Personally, I would vote for Vlad because I'm biased and he was a helluva unique and damn good hitter(career 136 wRC+). I think it will take him 6-7 years before he finally gets voted in. 

There can be an argument made for both sides here.

Vlad was at his best with the Expos but the team never went anywhere when he was with them.

Vlad was still great with the Angels but he wasn't as dominant towards the end of his deal. The caveat is he won a MVP and helped lead the Angels to multiple division titles and became a household name for a team in its' most successful decade in team history.

Vlad also isn't a sure thing to get into the HOF like many people believe. His career 56.5 WAR is below the usual 60+ WAR you need to get considered. Vlad was a poor fielder and a below average runner for most of his career and his career ended rather abruptly.

Personally, I would vote for Vlad because I'm biased and he was a helluva unique and damn good hitter(career 136 wRC+). I think it will take him 6-7 years before he finally gets voted in.

Vlad was one of the greatest 5-tool players in MLB history when he played for the Expos. I think you're describing the defense and running skills that you saw after he started declining. I watched Vlad play at the Olympic Stadium quite a few times. He was a complete player back then.

Vlad was one of the greatest 5-tool players in MLB history when he played for the Expos. I think you're describing the defense and running skills that you saw after he started declining. I watched Vlad play at the Olympic Stadium quite a few times. He was a complete player back then.

Check his caught stealing numbers back when he was a 40 stolen base threat. He stole a lot of bases but his efficiency at doing so was very poor. His defense was above average back in his early years due to his arm but he never had great routes either. 

He stole 181 bases in his career and got caught 94 times, good for a 65.8 SB%. 

Check his caught stealing numbers back when he was a 40 stolen base threat. He stole a lot of bases but his efficiency at doing so was very poor. His defense was above average back in his early years due to his arm but he never had great routes either. 

He stole 181 bases in his career and got caught 94 times, good for a 65.8 SB%. 

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/gwynn_tony/1376694.html

Not disagreeing with you about Vlad being a HOFer Claude! I think he should be in. But there is a case for him not being in and his terrible defense/base running for a majority of his career would be the reason for that. 

That's like saying Trout shouldn't be in the HOF because he has a weak arm, strikes out a lot and might not be a .300 hitter. There are many players in the HOF that went in with less credentials than Vlad.