• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Additional SP depth/flyers

Docwaukee

Ogando will get more than a minor league deal, I would think. I'm not exactly sure what happened to him but why wouldn't he be expected to bounce back?

Scott Baker hasn't been good since 2011 and Billingsley seems like a reclamation project. A year ago I'd have said "sure, why not?" to all of them, but quite honestly the Angels don't need any of them. The pitching staff is deep.

Ogando will get more than a minor league deal, I would think. I'm not exactly sure what happened to him but why wouldn't he be expected to bounce back?

Scott Baker hasn't been good since 2011 and Billingsley seems like a reclamation project. A year ago I'd have said "sure, why not?" to all of them, but quite honestly the Angels don't need any of them. The pitching staff is deep.

We have the quality aspect of the depth down for sure. But there is nothing wrong with adding to the quantity if it costs next to nothing to do so.

Folks, where would we put a Haren, Vogelsong, Billingsley, Ogando, or Baker? Where do they fit into this staff?

Here's how I figure. Richards, Shoemaker, and Weaver are locks. That's three.

Then you've got Wilson, who if you can upgrade, sure, why not? But if not, give him a chance to return to form. If not, replace him with Santiago or someone else. That's four.

Then you've got Heaney, who seems ready for the show. If he isn't ready, go with Tropeano. That's five.

There's your starting five with two solid back-ups. After that you've got a ton of possibles: Rasmus, Alvarez, Rucinski, Sanabia, and Smith. None of these stands out as a potential good starter, but all could be solid to average (#4-5).

So here's the thing. Where do you put a Haren, Billingsley, etc? Who do they replace? Not Richards, Shoemaker, and Weaver. Furthermore, you don't want to stall the development of Heaney - he's got #2 upside, so needs to be in the rotation. If he struggles then you give Tropeano, Santiago, or maybe Rasmus or Rucinski a shot.

So it only makes sense if Wilson goes. You can't put Haren in the minors. So either you think Wilson can at least be a solid #3-4 or you try to trade him and sign someone else. But who wants Wilson, really?

Anyhow, I say go with what we've got. Unless you an somehow bring in a Jordan Zimmerman in trade, we've got a nice, deep starting staff.

Edited by Angelsjunky

It's the same old argument and the same facts still win out, you have nowhere to put guys like this.  Even if Richards doesn't come back in the first month, CJ is toast and you move Santiago to the bullpen, you're still rolling with Weav, Shoe, Heaney, Tropeano and Rasmus.  Any one of those guys still wouldn't be in the Angels rotation in the WORST CASE SCENARIO.  

I mean that's assuming your staff ace, one of the top LHP in baseball in the last 5 years, and another effective lefty are all out of the rotation.  We still have a solid 5. How many teams can say that?

I can't predict the future, but I can tell you that in all liklihood, Garrett Richards is coming back, CJ, erratic as he may be still has something left in the tank, and young LHP who routinely post ERA's under 4 (Santiago), typically don't vacate the rotation all at once.  Chances are, the rotation will be Richards, Weaver, Shoemaker, Wilson and Heaney (With Santiago in bullpen, Tropeano, Rasmus, Ramos, Alvarez all in depth at some level). 

Guys like Billingsly or Ogando won't sign a minor league deal with the Angels just so they can be their 8th starter. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

We've got Deloach and Nate Smith to chip in if needed as well.  

How come Deloach doesn't get more pub?  Dude has been very good at A, A+ and the short stint at AA.  Misses tons of bats and is pretty stingy with the hits.  Few too many walks, but the results have been nice.  Big bodied college LHer.  

We've got Deloach and Nate Smith to chip in if needed as well.

How come Deloach doesn't get more pub? Dude has been very good at A, A+ and the short stint at AA. Misses tons of bats and is pretty stingy with the hits. Few too many walks, but the results have been nice. Big bodied college LHer.

It is my understanding Deloach doesn't have great stuff, so who knows whether it will translate at the higher levels. I am sure one of the prospect gurus on here would know better than me. But his k/9 and hits/9 ratios are outstanding

CJ Wilson had a bad year but still netted the team 13 wins. FYI I realize wins aren't important. I still believe Wilson is a lock as a starter. I can see Wilson having a bounce back season.

The only reason you trade Wilson is for a top rotation pitcher ... my preference!

You don't gamble your season away because you want to see what the kids could do.

Edited by Troll Daddy

If the opportunity presents itself to move Wilson and you can shed most of his salary then you do it. I do think he can have a bounce back season, I would even go as far as say I expect a bounce back year. But we have capable arms and next years free agency pool of pitchers is really good.