• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon leaving Rays

Jammer36

We need a manager who knows how to win in the postseason with the advantage of a huge payroll and all that talent. It's clear that something has been broken since 2002 and is in need of a replacement.

10-22 and multiple first round sweeps/exists will not get it done.

Angels - congratulations - you've done it again. You've taken a thread and turned into your own personal pissing contest. Bravo. Well done.

Am I the only one who would love to see Scioscia gone with Maddon replacing him? Pretty sure there are multiple people here with their own reasons for wanting him gone. All legit reasons.

Maddon did what he could with a limited budget and all that uncertainty (like whether his best players would still be with him throughout the season or traded away...or whether they can afford any of them).

I would love to see what this amazing manager can do with a huge budget with lots of talent like the Angels.

Excuse making, Scioscia did what he could with a bunch of unproven pitchers, many of which weren't starters to take control of the AL West the last two months of the season.

Maybe Maddon should manage the Yankees or Phillies since they are high payroll teams.

"Look at Scioscia's record since 2002"  - why?  The only reason you want to exclude 2002 is it makes your pitiful argument a little stronger.  Emphasis on "pitiful."

I think Scioscia is a sure-fire Hall of Fame as a manager.  What will your argument be then, "Look how stupid everyone is but me?"

Angels - congratulations - you've done it again.  You've taken a thread and turned into your own personal pissing contest.  Bravo. Well done.

He's is just pissing into the wind.

Scioscia's postseason resume since 2002 speaks for itself.

Nothing else needs to be said.

You do realize your statement includes the 2002 World Series Championship?

Wait, never mind, you've posted this twice and still don't get you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Carry on.

Edited by notti

Maddon was in a great situation with the Rays. He was operating under a different set of circumstances in Tampa Bay. There was little pressure on him and the team. It was a very relaxed environment without big expectations, Maddon was the perfect guy for that type of situation. If I were a player I would love to play for him. Definitely a players manager. There is no way to know if he would be successful managing in a high pressure situation with the Angels or the Dodgers.

Maddon would be somebody you would want to drink with or hang around with. Scioscia is more discipline and runs a tighter ship in my opinion.

Edited by Troll Daddy

"Look at Scioscia's record since 2002" - why? The only reason you want to exclude 2002 is it makes your pitiful argument a little stronger. Emphasis on "pitiful."

I think Scioscia is a sure-fire Hall of Fame as a manager. What will your argument be then, "Look how stupid everyone is but me?"

2002 was a long time ago. Your hair probably wasn't all too grey back then.

What's your argument, though? 2002? Or maybe 2014, being his first year to make the postseason in this decade?

Some people choose to overlook his postseason failures. That's fine.

I wonder if Scioscia would still be manager had he not been given a 10/50 contract.

Edited by Angels

Nobody really knows the exact impact managers make or how valuable they really are. 

With that said, do people actually think the difference between the best managers and worst managers is worth that much? I'll take a wild guess and say a good manager can MAYBE help you win 3-5 extra games. And I may be pushing it. 

They write down the lineups and try to manage the bullpens as best as they can. These guys aren't the difference between winning 90 games and 100 games. 

I think Scioscia has done fine and did a good job this past season. He platooned well, which was nice to see and he utilized the bullpen roles pretty darn well. 

I'm not going to play the blame game and say Scioscia is the reason the Angels lost in the playoffs. The bunt attempts in Game 1 were bad but the Angels didn't play very well throughout the series. A manager can only do so much.

I don't think Scioscia did an awful just during the regular season. He had his flaws (Frieri, Ibanez, bullpen management earlier, etc) yet he threw all of that in the toilet with the way he managed during the postseason. That was awful managing. And it's hard to overlook that with all of his other postseason failures since the Angels won it all. It's been nothing but bitter disappointment

Angels, theres one manager in baseball today who consistently wins postseason games, and his name is Bruce Bochy. I'm sorry to tell you this, he's not coming here. Oh wait, neither is Mike Matheney. So i guess your search for a consistent postseason winner is now officially over.

Angels, theres one manager in baseball today who consistently wins postseason games, and his name is Bruce Bochy. I'm sorry to tell you this, he's not coming here. Oh wait, neither is Mike Matheney. So i guess your search for a consistent postseason winner is now officially over.

Or maybe it's just time for a change and see what another manager can do? Because 10-22 speaks for itself, does it not? Some people choose to overlook all these postseason failures for whatever reason. If a team fails so does the manager.

I don't think he would still be managing if not for that 10/50 contract.

Edited by Angels

2002 was a long time ago. Your hair probably wasn't all too grey back then.

What's your argument, though? 2002? Or maybe 2014, being his first year to make the postseason in this decade?

Some people choose to overlook his postseason failures. That's fine.

I wonder if Scioscia would still be manager had he not been given a 10/50 contract.

Bobby Cox failed 10 times in the post season to get to the World Series. Failed three more times when he got there. Even went a 4 year drought without reaching the post season.

I don't think Scioscia did an awful just during the regular season. He had his flaws (Frieri, Ibanez, bullpen management earlier, etc) yet he threw all of that in the toilet with the way he managed during the postseason. That was awful managing. And it's hard to overlook that with all of his other postseason failures since the Angels won it all. It's been nothing but bitter disappointment

Curious to why you think Scioscia was so bad in the playoffs. 

Like I said before, the bunt attempts were bad. Maybe we win Game 1 without those bunts, maybe they don't. 

The Hamilton decision was clearly a choice made by both Scioscia AND Dipoto. 

C.J. Wilson started Game 3 because the other options sucked. As much as people wanted Rasmus to start, there was no way any manager would put a 2-4 inning starter in a must win game on the road. 

I THINK he could've managed a little better in Game 1 by not bunting. Otherwise, it's hard for me to put the fault on him for Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Kendrick and many others not showing up to play.