• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tweaks…no big changes.

Hubs

Conger is a back-up Catcher, a good one, and wouldn't even be on people's sh!t-list if hitters like Pujols and Hamilton, didn't underwhelm.  He's works well with the pitchers, is young, and can throw out a runner.  Replacing a back-up C is pretty far down the list of concerns right now.

I think the Angels hitters let off the gas once it was clear the A's and M's had no shot of catching them for the division lead.  I don't think its any coincidence that the Wild Card teams both advanced as they have had to fight just to make it.  Every game was a playoff game and the players were hyper-aware that their next AB could be their last.  I think the Angels felt pretty confident with themselves with the best record in baseball, most runs scored, MVP candidate, etc and they didn't show up.  I don't know how you coach a team that clinched early into being more ready. 

I think Dipoto did a great job this season.  Getting the two pitchers for Trumbo worked out great to shore up the bottom of the Angels rotation.  Adding some relief pitching during the year was just what the Angels needed.  No telling how far they would have gone in the postseason if Richards did not get hurt.  If I was an Angels fan, I'd just sit back and watch what the GM does this winter and not worry about it.  He has some bad contracts, but he had the same bad contracts last winter, too.  I also recall he's rebuilding his farm system as he goes along, starting at the bottom.  The Angels are in good shape, and I say that as a Rangers fan.  Y'all had a great season, so why complain about anything?  Get Richards healthy.  Move CJ to the bullpen and find another guy for the bottom of the rotation.  Maybe Dipoto will strike gold again.  Watch your other arms improve with experience.  The offense will take care of itself, just about.  I mean, what did you guys score last year? 773 runs, most in the major leagues?  That's not a problem, is it?  The problem is just maintaining good pitching is what it looks like to me, which is an ongoing challenge for every team. The Rangers have injury question marks and more holes to fill than the Angels.  The A's will be in rebuilding mode, and their farm is not as good as it was.  The Mariners may be the team to beat.  The Astros still are a ways away from being a complete team. I think "tweak" is the way to go for the Angels. 

I think Dipoto did a great job this season.  Getting the two pitchers for Trumbo worked out great to shore up the bottom of the Angels rotation.  Adding some relief pitching during the year was just what the Angels needed.  No telling how far they would have gone in the postseason if Richards did not get hurt.  If I was an Angels fan, I'd just sit back and watch what the GM does this winter and not worry about it.  He has some bad contracts, but he had the same bad contracts last winter, too.  I also recall he's rebuilding his farm system as he goes along, starting at the bottom.  The Angels are in good shape, and I say that as a Rangers fan.  Y'all had a great season, so why complain about anything?  Get Richards healthy.  Move CJ to the bullpen and find another guy for the bottom of the rotation.  Maybe Dipoto will strike gold again.  Watch your other arms improve with experience.  The offense will take care of itself, just about.  I mean, what did you guys score last year? 773 runs, most in the major leagues?  That's not a problem, is it?  The problem is just maintaining good pitching is what it looks like to me, which is an ongoing challenge for every team. The Rangers have injury question marks and more holes to fill than the Angels.  The A's will be in rebuilding mode, and their farm is not as good as it was.  The Mariners may be the team to beat.  The Astros still are a ways away from being a complete team. I think "tweak" is the way to go for the Angels. 

Dipoto did a great job getting a team whose pitching was in shambles to be WD champion.  He does deserve a lot of credit.  

That doesn't mean the Angels should sit back and wait.  There are some weaknesses that needs to be addressed:  

1.  Someone who could replace Wilson if he doesn't bounce back or could provide depth if he does.

2.  Someone who could replace Richards in case he has a set back or could provide depth if he doesn't.

3.  A middle of the order DH type hitter.  We can no longer rely on Hamilton on bouncing back.  Two bad years in a row does not give you the benefit of the doubt.  If Hamilton does bounce back all the better, but we better be going into the season as him being a defensive player first and bottom of order hitter.

Add a SP starter via a trade or FA, then sign a bunch of SP's for AAA/Major League depth and hope they don't get injured. 

We get the lefty back that we got for Romine. LeBlanc is a good guy to keep around. 

I would like them to get a true leadoff hitter and move Calhoun and Trout down one spot in the lineup. Would love to get Russell Martin. Iannetta is a good backup guy IMO. Conger needs to go.

While I agree that addition just doesn't seem available this winter. There's Norichika Aoki who had a .349 OBP and a .353 OBP for his short MLB career. Virtually no SLG though (.360 this year) and another alternative, Bonifacio, isn't an everyday player. If only the Rays would for whatever reason decline Zobrist's option he would be my top choice for an offseason acquisition. Force Hamilton to DH more, play left field, third, and second and become the new leadoff hitter. 

I guess you could add an Aoki, but I'd be fine getting someone like Bonifacio and focusing on the reconstructing the lineup next offseason (when Howie, Freese, and Iannetta all become free agents). Next offseason has guys like Rajai Davis, Alex Gordon, Jayson Heyward, Dexter Fowler, and Shane Victorino who could takeover in left field and force Hamilton to DH. I think looking for another center fielder wouldn't be the worst thing. A lot of signs pointing to a move to left field permanently for Trout. I'd love to add another high OBP guy with plus speed who can move Calhoun and Trout lower in the lineup. 

I'm sorry, did you say Shane Victorino?

The injury prone Flyin' Hawaiian? Yes I did. Dude had an .800 OPS in 2013 and could be a good low-buy option if the Angels want to focus more of their resources on replacing our third baseman, second baseman, and catcher. I would have no problem with them signing him to a 1-year deal if it mean them saving money to fill the other holes. Fixes a lesser need to help replenish whatever else the team needs. It's not like the farm system has the answers at catcher and third. 

The Yankees and RedSox will both bid on Martin and even if they don't he will get over 10 mil. A season from someone. The Angels won't go after him. The Angels are stuck with Wilson and Hamilton. They aren't going anywhere. They both are owed way too much money to just dump. We have to hope Hamilton can at least hit 20 HR and drive in 80 or so. I can't see Howie hitting cleanup for an entire season, though next season is his walk year which might lead to a big season for him. Give Cron an opportunity to play every day and see what he can do. Get a veteran OF for the bench instead of Navarro. Address the backup catcher position. I wouldn't sign a free agent pitcher for more than 2 years. The Angels need to concentrate on building the system.