• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Berman is a diva

Back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back...

i give Berman a lot of credit for the rise in popularity of espn. he was a key national figure for them and was very recognizable, by all accounts a good guy to have as the face of the network.

but in the last five plus years, he has become virtually unwatchable on anything other than football. his golf work is painful, and his work on the home run derby should be used as a training video for future broadcasters on what not to do. espn should remove him from those broadcasts, but i imagine some suit somewhere looks at it like "we owe chris for the work he did in making us such a huge network." i'm guessing we'll all just have to tolerate him until he decides to retire.

if i were him, i'd be greatly concerned about the growing number of stories about him being a giant dill wad to the public. 

I was 15 when ESPN went on air. It was great to have a sports network and Berman was young and energetic and original. That was 35 years ago and he's doing the same tired shtick and coasting on reputation. ESPN in general has abandoned the generation that made them iconic and turned into the E! sports network. I don't watch them and I don't miss it at all.

I was 15 when ESPN went on air. It was great to have a sports network and Berman was young and energetic and original. That was 35 years ago and he's doing the same tired shtick and coasting on reputation. ESPN in general has abandoned the generation that made them iconic and turned into the E! sports network. I don't watch them and I don't miss it at all.

The only time I watch is when a game is on, mainly NFL.  Also the World Cup.  I thought they did a good job on it.

Sportscenter is annoying.  

Berman in the late 80s-early 90s was one of the best out there because of his NFL highlight calls (bumblin', rumblin', stumblin') as well as his original nicknames for players (Eddie "eat, drink and be" Murray). People all over the country thought of Berman as the best in the biz at that time. What makes the great sportscasters great is when they are timeless. For whatever reason, Berman's schtick wasn't timeless. The nicknames are a far stretch at times now and the calls are old and overplayed.

It's weird, Vin Scully every game says "...in comes Ramirez, in comes Gonzales" whenever the Dodgers have a 2 run single. But that call doesn't get old. Even though I dislike the Dodgers, I enjoy hearing that particular call from Vinny. I don't know what makes him different from Berman's "He.Could.Go.All.The.Way" call in that regard. Must be the personality off camera or something.

Berman in the late 80s-early 90s was one of the best out there because of his NFL highlight calls (bumblin', rumblin', stumblin') as well as his original nicknames for players (Eddie "eat, drink and be" Murray). People all over the country thought of Berman as the best in the biz at that time. What makes the great sportscasters great is when they are timeless. For whatever reason, Berman's schtick wasn't timeless. The nicknames are a far stretch at times now and the calls are old and overplayed.

It's weird, Vin Scully every game says "...in comes Ramirez, in comes Gonzales" whenever the Dodgers have a 2 run single. But that call doesn't get old. Even though I dislike the Dodgers, I enjoy hearing that particular call from Vinny. I don't know what makes him different from Berman's "He.Could.Go.All.The.Way" call in that regard. Must be the personality off camera or something.

Vin is as timeless as the hair in your avatar.

ESPN is much like MTV...at some point it shifted away from being about sports to being about entertainment and personalities. Reminds me a lot of the Olympics as well.

Sportscenter isn't about the results of the day's games, but rather how the Stuart Scott's of the world present the results of the days game. We are in an age where you can instantly find out the results of any game as it happens, hell, you can see highlights of the Angels game, still in progress, while sitting in a movie theater, 2 minutes after it happens (mlb app = awesome). Sportscenter used to be about the day in sports...in today's world that's just reporting old news.

One of the local sports radio guys said that he had the home run derby on last night, "but I had it on mute because I cannot listen to Berman." Like you said, he was fresh and original 35 years ago, but nothing has changed except that he has aged and become more annoying. I suppose that he thought that he had to add something juvenile to the "rumblin' bumblin' stumblin'", "back back back" and "he could...go...all...the...way" and added "Whoop!" 

Not exactly ground breaking stuff.

we're all sports fans.

does anybody know anybody who knows anybody who actually likes berman?

these people must exist, because he still gets a lot of prime gigs.  

are the people who like him just afraid to admit it...like nickelback fans?

Same thing with Brent Musberger. Musberger is Berman minus the goofy names and the catchphrases. Brent gets hot and bothered over A. J. McCarron's girlfriend in the stands, and I believe that it was he who coined the name "Johnny Football" for Johnny Manziel, during the Florida-Texas A&M game that opened the 2012 season (at least that was the first time I ever heard it used). Manziel was playing his first collegiate game, yet Musberger was fawning over him like there had never been a greater player in college football history.

As far as closet Berman fans, if you find one it will be somewhere beyond this post, because I can't stand the man.