• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Newcomb Signs

Cdaniel

#Angels have reached agreement with first-round pick Sean Newcomb, a LHP from Univ. of Hartford, on a signing bonus of $2,518,400.

Slot value was $2.475, so he got an extra $43,000.  Congrats...

EDIT: MLB Trade Rumors notes, "That number was the maximum amount of money the Halos could allot to Newcomb without exceeding their bonus pool."

Edited by jsnpritchett

It's much ado about nothing. Because of his college work load he wasn't going to pitch this year anyways, or at least not much.

That's fine.  Still don't see why he wouldn't have just signed earlier then.  Why not secure things and get the money rolling in?

Is it a big deal?  No.  Just seems pointless.

someone said earlier that he was waiting for the angels to sign all their picks to see how much was left over from the bonus pool. that appears to be a prescient comment because that's what happened. he took everything that was left.

If sitting there doing nothing for one extra month resulted in 43,000 dollars more, wouldn't you do it?

I don't blame the kid at all.

Now go out there and pitch up to your abilities.

I don't think anything went wrong here. I think he was waiting to take the remaining balance. The angels were trying to sign everyone and give him what they could. I think what people were questioning is why the Angels took so long to sign him, not why the kid took so long to sign.

That being said, signing early can get you in the system earlier and advancing faster. Hitting FA or arb a year earlier is worth far more than $43,000.

I thought we read early on that his arm was so good that there was a belief he could help get leftys out at the major league level as early as this year. Am I remembering this right? I think it led to people on here worrying that they signed him to be a reliever.

I thought we read early on that his arm was so good that there was a belief he could help get leftys out at the major league level as early as this year. Am I remembering this right? I think it led to people on here worrying that they signed him to be a reliever.

Some of the talking heads on MLB TV said that during the draft but that doesn't seem to jive with the statements in the more recent news reports that, because of a "heavy workload" this year in college, the Angels weren't planning on pitching him much the rest of this year....Dunno....

Harold Reynolds said that, and it got spread around.  Ric Wilson and others shot it down.

Also, responding to a post eaterfan made, I actually was talking about Newcomb delaying, not the Angels.  The Angels signed all of their other top 10 picks by more than 2 weeks ago.  The money available to him (assuming the Angels didn't want to go over their allotment--which clearly they didn't) wasn't going to change between that time and now.

everybody is making a mountain out of a mole hill. his agent had a tactic to guarantee him the most money possible. he wasn't going back to school. once the angels had signed all their other picks, then he and his agent knew exactly how much they could get. the rest is just the contractual negotiations and reviews. end of story.

everybody is making a mountain out of a mole hill. his agent had a tactic to guarantee him the most money possible. he wasn't going back to school. once the angels had signed all their other picks, then he and his agent knew exactly how much they could get. the rest is just the contractual negotiations and reviews. end of story.

No, not making a mountain out of anything, as I said.  It's not a big deal.  Just could have been done sooner.

The only people affected by the late signing is us fans that were worried about whether he would sign or not. Well I guess Newcombe was affected, he had to wait a few weeks to buy his fully loaded Chevy Tahoe or whatever he's going to buy.